Thread: The Modern Toddlerist/Toddlerfur Manifesto

Default The Modern Toddlerist/Toddlerfur Manifesto

Personally, I am a child of the 90's.
    When I was 2 years old, I specifically remember watching Barney the Dinosaur on television. I remember having a brown-stained wooden crib with a matching high-chair. I had a BumbleBall! I loved that stupid thing!
    What I remember specifically was what I wore most often. Nothing. I was your typical toddler boy. I remember seeing videos and pictures of what I wore at the time when I WAS dressed up to be decent. My parents made an effort to give me a dignified babyhood, which I thank them for to this very day. I'm not embarrassed to look at or even show off my baby pictures. In fact, there were a lot of things about my babyhood that I found particularly badass. Mostly because I wasn't treated like a "stereotypical baby". I never wore a bonnet, or booties. They put me in disposable diapers. Not cloth diapers. I wasn't given a rattle. And my parents said that my personality shone through from the first few days I was alive in this world. And that is a sure sign that I was born to be as headstrong as I feel that I am today. I've been through a lot of grief with my friends and family. Especially with coming to terms with who I am.

So what exactly is a toddler-fur? Or a "toddlerist" in fact? Has that term even been coined yet? Well, before we go slapping definitions on things, let's take a subjective look at what infantilism is. First, the word itself.

Infantile by definition, the characteristic of or befitting an infant; babyish; childish; That which pertains to an infant.

ism- Used as a productive suffix in the formation of nouns denoting action or practice, state or condition, principles, doctrines, a usage or characteristic, devotion or adherence, etc. ( criticism; barbarism; Darwinism; despotism; plagiarism; realism; witticism; intellectualism ).

By definition, the word itself means the persistence in an adult of markedly childish anatomical, physiological, or psychological characteristics.

What do infants do? They giggle and grin, they're cute, they babble and belch, and make you smile.
    What's more important is what babies cannot do. They cannot feed themselves, they cannot dress themselves, they cannot talk, they cannot walk, they cannot control their own bodily functions (or their body in general, for that matter) They require, to survive, constant supervision of another human being to help it develop and stay healthy so that it may flourish into adolescence.

Now let's take a step up the carousel of life (refer here ->YouTube - EVERYBODY RIDES THE CAROUSEL intro)
    My subjective stance on my "babyfurism" isn't of that of a baby at all! Which is why I don't necessarily label myself as a 'babyfur'.
    My regressed self is a mirror of that stage I held most fond as a child. As is yours.
    Yours may be laying helplessly in your mother's arms, breast feeding, being completely out of control of your emotions, your body, everything.
    Mine is the mornings where I got up before everyone else and was hungry... so I got it myself... kinda. Mine is screaming and running around naked, cause I can. Mine is the humiliation of potty training. A whole step up in the ladder from infantilism.

You may see yourself in cloth diapers, booties and a bonnet, riding in a pram, waving a silver rattle and drinking from a glass bottle. Personally, meaning that which pertains to MY opinions and MY life, I find that distasteful.
    I see myself on the verge of graduating into training pants, wearing elastic blue-jean shorts and a geeky t-shirt my older brother bought me. I see myself drinking from a spill-proof sippy cup. Striving for independence, restricted by substantially fewer limits, and able to make a few decisions on my own. I'm able to get myself into mischief. I can choose what kind of food I do and don't like. I develop more of a personality.

So you see, I have no beef with infantilism. That's where it all started for me. And this is sort of a box-within-a-box for me as I've gradually developed my own personality as a "toddlerist" as it were. I've grown fond of modern baby culture, fashion, and whatnot. I can see lil Jeffy fox being dressed up in little clothes that look like they're for a teenager from the mid 90's. That was my own childhood. What I found the most fond about it. It's also where my love of inflation and weight-gain came from. I realized those interests as a child, and was never able to properly express them as I did not fully understand them until I came in contact with the community.

We're all different. There are no set "fetishes". Everyone who has a fetish or a mania or obsession of any sort always will like some sort of different aspect of what it implies as a whole.
    For example, infantilism. One person may like the feeling of helplessness and humiliation of being in a soiled diaper, whereas someone else may find that the aspect of being loved unconditionally, the comfort, and joy that being babied feels like.

And it's a fantastic thing!
    We're all brought together by similar interests, but not the same interests.

We all see these things in a different light, apply them to ourselves in a way that makes us happy!
    And that is all that matters!

wow, that was really well written - i dont really call myself a babyfur, im more of a toddlerfur

I find the term babyfur is all-encompassing and easier to explain. When I roleplay on second life for example, I say I'm a babyfur, even though I like to be aged 2-6 and still in diapers. Doesn't make sense but that's why it's fantasy I suppose!

I see exactly where you are coming from, Jeffy. Inside I tend to be a little boy rather than a baby. I see myself as a three year old, learning about the world and how to interact with it. I hesitate to use the term babyfur, but toddlerfur I can live with.

Tell you what, I can help you spread the word!

Much Snugs,

This holds true for me, too, Jeffy. I guess I just adopted the terms infantilist, teen/adult baby, and more recently babyfur because... those are the terms that are most common. In my head, baby gets translated into a 2-3 year old, a toddler--quasi-independent, inquisitive, creative, playful, but still young and cuddly. An odd thing, though: I first recognized this tendency (of wanting to go back to an earlier age) when I was three. It persisted throughout my childhood. And when I was that young, my target age actually was that of an infant, young enough to barely crawl and sleeping in a crib with a mobile. It seems that my little side is slowly, slowly growing up. Sometimes it feels like I'm moving out of toddlerhood and into the range of early childhood (5-6 years old), though really it fluctuates between the two ranges. I no longer identify with the infant range. I don't even feel like I want to build a crib anymore. A bunk bed (with side rails) sounds much more appealing.

Yeah, I'm a child of the 90's (and a bit of the late 80's) as well. I sometimes do dress in clothes that look like they belong to that decade. It kind of seems like some of those styles are coming back--light up shoes, for example. They're once again being produced in adult sizes. I keep seeing outrageous neon colors and gaudy animal prints on clothes; looks familiar. I picked up a TMNT hoodie (one of the best cartoons from that time, IMHO); it's kind of costume-like and is made to look like Leonardo, including the mask. Now I'm just waiting for overalls to come back in style (remember when it was cool to wear them with one strap undone?).

Neat video. Makes me want to see the rest of the movie.

Myself, I have feelings of baby/infant to toddler to young childhood all the way almost to preteen, though a lot of the elements of other ones will get mixed in here and there to just be a big ball of age insanity. So I totally understand what you mean by not feeling defined by the labels of the community, or any community for that matter.

That feeling of us not being reflected in what age stereotypes say we should feel, want to do, and want to express is what bonds us together. This was a really interesting post! Thanks for sharing!

You know what, seeing these thought-out posts let me know that you actually read the entire post, and understand the true meaning while applying your own meaning to it. Why aren't there more posts like this!? If there are, we should all put them together in a book and publish it.