Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cornstarch powder

Default Cornstarch powder

Just wondering if anybody has ever used or heard of cornstarch powder

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001E96MJE/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1287867713&sr=8-2

My friend said this was better than talcum but I'm not sure so I'd thought I'd ask here.
    I live in the uk and tried looking for it but couldn't find it.

crazykittensmile

Corn starch is just corn flour, the stuff used for thickening sauces - you will find it in almost any supermarket, usually in the home baking section. It will be much cheaper to buy it that way then try and buy it marketed as baby powder, and from the looks of it will be the same thing, just without perfume.

ASDA cornflour

angelabauer

These days virtually all baby powder sold in the USA is based on cornstarch. I prefer Diaparene cornstarch baby powder. For cooking I buy ordinary cornstarch.

Yes cornstarch power is better option two reason it not going give breath problem if you accidental breath it in and it get make skin more soft in my option and I know alot of mothers back in the past like it better for there baby .

Quote Originally Posted by babylife247 View Post
    Yes cornstarch power is better option two reason it not going give breath problem if you accidental breath it in and it get make skin more soft in my option and I know alot of mothers back in the past like it better for there baby .
    Well I do have asthma and eczema so I could see those being benefits :3.

Funny you should mention that. There's a 7th grade boy at my school who plays pool and has a pool table in his parent's basement. He was telling me how he had changed from using baby powder to corn starch. Of course I had to think how cute he would be with baby powder. Anyway, I didn't react and said yes, that baby powder was made from corn starch, so it would be affective on your hands when shooting with a pool cue.

Yeah, I had noticed that cornstarch is actually the primary ingredient in most baby powders. I personally love the feeling of it. I also love the smell, so couldn't substitute it for typical cornstarch. It really really helps me regress, so I absolutely love it .

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    These days virtually all baby powder sold in the USA is based on cornstarch.
    I'd have to disagree with that. Here anyway, finding cornstartch powder actually requires looking. If you check the ingredient lists on most of the baby powder it lists "Ingredients: talc, fragrance". One of the generic brands even says right no the package to "compare with ingredients in brand name alternatives" because there's so few ingredients. (and the generic's a good deal cheaper)

Here, most of the cornstarch powder bottles are a yellowish in color, while the talc ones tend to be the standard white, which makes them easy to tell apart without hunting down the ingredient list, since they're all marketed as "baby powder".

I've never tried cornstarch based powder before, but I can tell you there's a difference just between different talc based powders. Some of them are "fluffier" and will put up quite a white cloud if you set the bottle down rough before opening it. Others seem to be more coarse and are hard to get airborn. The older ones seem to be more coarse.

Tho considering how talc is probably a lot worse to get into your lungs than cornstarch, I can see why corn starch is becoming a lot more popular. I assume you have experience with both... how do they compare? I've noticed that talc can start clumping when it gets too much perspiration, how does cornstarch compare in that respect?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishHusky View Post
    Well I do have asthma and eczema so I could see those being benefits :3.
    While talc baby powder has often been demonized, I want to point out that cornstarch only solves some of the problems created by talc cornstarch. The problem with talc is twofold: first, it's a fine powder that, if inhaled, is harmful to the lungs. Second, talc also contains minute mineral fibers, not unlike asbestos, which are a particularly pernicious sort of particulate matter (oh yeah, rockin' the alliteration :P).

Cornstarch does not have the latter problem, since it is not of mineral origin. However, it is still a fine dust that, if inhaled, isn't good for your lungs. Especially if you have asthma (as you do) or a similar problem, switching to cornstarch will do little to solve your breathing problem, though it will reduce your chances of getting cancer

You can find more info on talc here: Talcum Powder can cause cancer