Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Tab

Default Samsung Galaxy Tab

So, Verizon has announced pricing and a release date for the first serious iPad contender. $599 will get you a contract-free(!!) 7-inch Android powered tablet with a beautiful AMOLED screen. Add $20/mo for 1GB of data (higher tiers exist), and you've got one hell of a toy in your pocket. So the question is, who's getting one? I am 97% certain that I am. I'll probably use it mostly on WiFi at the house, so I'd be fine with the 1GB/mo of data). I'd like to seriously look at how well it works as an alternative to a laptop. I'm sick of traveling with my laptop to use for e-mail and web browsing, and not much else.

I think the pricepoint might be its failure. Its trying to compete with the iPad, yet its priced only about a hundred bucks less than the 3G versions, and higher than the wifi only version. I don't think it will take off.

Butterfly Mage

For $599, I can get a real computer. I like the Galaxy Tablet, but I don't like the price.

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    ...7-inch Android powered tablet...

...you've got one hell of a toy in your pocket. So the question is, who's getting one?
    1. You must have HUGE pockets.
    2. No, the question is: who HAS pockets this big? Pics or no pocket can hold it. ; )

Quote Originally Posted by babyloki View Post
    I got my jnco's. =)

WHOA.

Okay, there are pockets that can hold this ... scary!

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    WHOA.

Okay, there are pockets that can hold this ... scary!
    Oh, and for the record, IT WAS A FIGURE OF SPEECH, YOU ASS! :P

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    I think the pricepoint might be its failure. Its trying to compete with the iPad, yet its priced only about a hundred bucks less than the 3G versions, and higher than the wifi only version. I don't think it will take off.

You make valid points, except for the many people that don't like apple products, or the (even larger) group of people that hate AT&T. The Galaxy Tab is launching on VzW and T-Mo, with Sprint and AT&T versions coming. There is also supposedly a WiFi only version in the works. I personally would never buy an iDevice, because Apple's whole walled garden approach, while good for protecting stupid people from themselves, it totally anathema to how I use computers. I bought the damn thing, who the hell is Apple to tell me what I can and cannot run on my $600+ doodad, y'know? And since the VzW version is going to be contract free, I can turn the data plan off if I find that I'm not using it, or I get an Android phone that can act as a WiFi hotspot. Can't do that with an AT&T iPad, can you?

Well, I've got it in my hot little hands! I'm typing this message on it in fact. I've been playing with it for about an hour now and I'm in love.