Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Things every elected candidate should know

Butterfly Mage

Default Things every elected candidate should know

Things every political candidate should be able to recite:
    -- The Establishment clause from the First Amendment
    -- The four fundamental forces of the physical universe
    -- The approximate price of a gallon of gas, a gallon of milk, and a loaf of bread
    -- The definition of the words "debtor", "creditor", "lien", "mortgage", "interest", and "principle".
    -- His/her own employment history that should include at lease one real-world job.

If your candidate can't do this, they have no business being in elected office.

Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Things every political candidate should be able to recite:
    -- The Establishment clause from the First Amendment
    -- The four fundamental forces of the physical universe
    -- The approximate price of a gallon of gas, a gallon of milk, and a loaf of bread
    -- The definition of the words "debtor", "creditor", "lien", "mortgage", "interest", and "principle".
    -- His/her own employment history that should include at lease one real-world job.

If your candidate can't do this, they have no business being in elected office.

Your thoughts?
    My thoughts? I think you just fired all of Washington! Even if you only require 50% of those to pass!!!

You are speaking of course, of Christine O'Donnell, right?

"Where is the separation of Church and State in the Constitution???"

*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    "Where is the separation of Church and State in the Constitution???"

*sigh*
    The phrase "separation of chruch and state" does not appear anywhere in the Constitution, you are correct. However, the OP specifically referenced the "Establishment Clause" which is in the First Amendment. To wit "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...". 220 subsequent years of case law has generally held that the State and religion should be kept separate. The Founders put that in there because many people came to this country to escape religious persecution in England and other countries, because back then, religion was generally a "my way or the highway" sort of deal, and if you didn't practice the official religion, you were assed out.

Butterfly Mage

I'd give huge bonus points to any candidate that answered Question 2 with, "Why, yes, I do know that the four fundamental forces of the physical universe are gravity, electromagnetism, nuclear strong, and nuclear weak." I added that as a question because I like candidates that have a well-rounded education that includes more than just contract law and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I'd give huge bonus points to any candidate that answered Question 2 with, "Why, yes, I do know that the four fundamental forces of the physical universe are gravity, electromagnetism, nuclear strong, and nuclear weak." I added that as a question because I like candidates that have a well-rounded education that includes more than just contract law and religion.
    We disagree on a lot of things, but I'm with you on "things every......". I replied here, because your other 'beliefs' suggested you and I might not be thinking of the same fundamental forces. <Sigh of relief> Turns out we are.

I'd extend it further to say that every candidate for Federal office should be able to speak confidently to any and all Sections, Articles, and Amendments to the Constitution. The whole document isn't that long and its not a tough read.

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    The phrase "separation of chruch and state" does not appear anywhere in the Constitution, you are correct. However, the OP specifically referenced the "Establishment Clause" which is in the First Amendment. To wit "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...". 220 subsequent years of case law has generally held that the State and religion should be kept separate. The Founders put that in there because many people came to this country to escape religious persecution in England and other countries, because back then, religion was generally a "my way or the highway" sort of deal, and if you didn't practice the official religion, you were assed out.
    *sigh*

I was referring to the illustrious Christine O'Donnell and her denial.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    *sigh*

I was referring to the illustrious Christine O'Donnell and her denial.
    Oh, durr. I thought you were sticking up for her.

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    Oh, durr. I thought you were sticking up for her.
    Good god no. She's a crazy woman who shouldn't be let near the school PTA, never mind congress.