Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technically challenged...

Default Technically challenged...

Okies.
    A few month's past, I asked about the blueray features of the two newest home game systems (Xbox and PS3). Learned one has it, the other, don't.
    More-importantly, and this is where I took some notes, neither will serve me any purpose, UNTIL I have a TV, the can SHOW HD! (makes perfect sense, in hindsite!) lol
    Yes, I'm a technically-challenged individual. Hell, I just boxed-up my two vegetable cans with twine (for talking with my neighbor).
    *ahem*
    So, I'm saving up for a HD TV. 55-60" model (easier on me eyes, yes?). I like the LED concept, over Plasma and LCD.

New question-

I recently read something, saying how buying a BIGGER TV isn't necessarily going to give you the bang for yer buck, if you view it too closely?
    I have a very narrow living room set-up. So, this new TV is going to be sitting about 8-9' away from me.
    Is it true, that buying a big screen, for such close distances, is a waste of money?

Any thoughts or opinions, will be greatly appreciated!

Bucephalus

Quote Originally Posted by Bucephalus View Post
    Is it true, that buying a big screen, for such close distances, is a waste of money?
    It only is if you can't see the whole screen at one time. At least, from my point of view.

of course why do you want a huge TV to being with?

Honestly, depending on how close you get, a bigger tv isn't going to be great. I have a 40" in my living room, and I'm sitting about 8' away, and the picture looks great. A 55"-60" is really only necessary if you have a lot of people coming over to watch, or if you're sitting far away from the television. I'd say go for a 46". It was what I was going for in the first place, but my entertainment stand wouldn't allow it.

The right size TV is the one that fits in your viewing room. If you can, try to go to the store during off-hours (say, during a weekday) and try standing 8-9 feet away from the sets with the ones around it turned off. I have a similarly sized living room, and my 46" is fine. I could go bigger, but I didn't want to spend the money. Also, I just want to point out that in an LED TV, the part that makes the image is exactly the same as a regular LCD. The only difference is that LED TV's use Light Emitting Diodes to back light the screen, while conventional LCDs use Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lights (CCFLs). The major difference there, is power consumption (LEDs use less) and LEDs have a distinct blueish cast when looking at LED and CCFL lit TVs side by side. In my house, I can't tell. Also, purely as a observation, my new LCD TV seems to give off way less heat than my old LCD.

Three reasons-
    1)Eyesight. I hate having to wear glasses, just to watch TV (fine print and detail is getting a bit fuzzy to me)
    2)Gaming. See above, but I want to really get into the visuals, and a big screen will help.
    3)Movies. Some movies, simply require a big screen TV, if you're going to get close to the theater experience. (Titanic, Close Encounters, Jaws, Avatar, etc.)

Thanks for replying.

B.

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Thanks for replying, ShiningFire. I've been kicking the idea around for almost a year now.

B.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

*nods*
    I've also been hearing/reading good things about how LED's don't suffer as much from background/glare. I can't really tell if that's true or not (compared to say plasma or LCD's), but due to my home's orientation with windows and sunshine, any help with glare would be a major selling-point for me! (at least, till I remodel, but that's not going to happen soon!)

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and for adding to my 'Notes!'

B.

When it comes to the gaming systems what do you want? PS3 has a few good games great graphics and a Bluray. 360 has a lot of good games good graphics and no bluray. I believe it's cheaper and a better idea IMO to buy a 360 and bluray separte than a ps. More game selection better online play just imo better. Unless your going to be entertaining a lot of people you probably want a wii.

Three reasons-
    1)Eyesight. I hate having to wear glasses, just to watch TV (fine print and detail is getting a bit fuzzy to me)
    Suck it the hell up. I've been wearing glasses for about 2 and a half years now and it's only for distance reading. Plus, some glasses actually make you look cooler. Plus transition lenses for people like me who just wear glasses all the time = no more need for sun glasses. Mine are built in and turn on and off. :P

Seriously if you hate glasses get contacts that's what I did after 7-8 of glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Suck it the hell up. I've been wearing glasses for about 2 and a half years now and it's only for distance reading. Plus, some glasses actually make you look cooler. Plus transition lenses for people like me who just wear glasses all the time = no more need for sun glasses. Mine are built in and turn on and off. :P
    Don't piss in my wheaties, Fire2box. I asked for advice, not derogatory comments.

B.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by llama View Post
    Seriously if you hate glasses get contacts that's what I did after 7-8 of glasses
    I like the idea of putting something artificial 'ON' my eyeballs, about as much as I imagine sliding down coarse sandpaper, naked, would feel like? heh
    Thanks for the alternative suggestion, but 'No'.

B.

Don't piss in my wheaties, Fire2box. I asked for advice, not derogatory comments.
    I have no idea how anyone could possibly see my comment as derogatory.

Derogatory | Define Derogatory at Dictionary.com

Oh also I offered you advice not once but twice.

However if your vision is bad like you say it is, then no matter what TV you get you still won't see it as clearly as you would be able to with corrective lens or lasik. Which is why I suggested glasses in the first place.