Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Angela's Trip to Oz and NZ

angelabauer

Default Angela's Trip to Oz and NZ

Well everyone in ADISC and especially all of you in Australia and New Zealand!

It is getting to be that time of year when my husband Don and I spend a month down under. We will be flying direct to Melbourne from Los Angeles, arriving on Monday 15 November, before lunch.

We will spend a few nights in Melbourne, so we can visit friends at the zoo one day and the Healesville Sanctuary another day. After we buy enough supplies, we will turn in our rental car. The documentary crew will pick us up at our hotel for the drive to the French Island ferry. On French Island we will add interviews with rangers and other experts about koala.

After a few days on French Island we take the ferry back to the mainland for a drive to Hall's Gap. Many of the koala rounded up each spring are re-located to Hall's Gap. We will be finding out how the 2009 re-located koala settled in. Some of those were fitted with radio tracking collars, which might still be working.

Unfortunately this year we need to back-track to the Melbourne Airport for a flight to Perth. We will be around Perth for a week, but one of those nights we will be camping with the numbats and the rangers who protect them.

From Melbourne we will fly to Wellington, New Zealand. Our original plan was to fly down to Christchurch, but at the moment everyone we need to visit there are recovering from the earth quake. We do not want to get in the way. So if we must skip Christchurch this trip we will explore North Island more.

Last year I was very happy with the Tena products I bought. I am petite, so I was wearing Tena slips to bed and when the pull-on Tena undies were not practical. I forget the exact product name.

Perhaps members in Australia and New Zealand can tell me the correct names for those Tena. It would be a huge help if you good folks could tell me dealers or stores in Melbourne, Perth and Wellington that stock Tena.

Last trip we met a few ADISC members for dinner in Sydney, in Melbourne and in Perth. Last time we had to cancel our dinner in Adelaide when we had to extend our stay on French Island. So any of the ADISC members who are over 18 who would like to meet us are very welcome to send me PM. As we set firm dates I will make sure all who want to meet know our exact schedule.

Also like last year I will do my best to check ADISC every few days, reporting about our adventures.

Thunder

Have fun on your trip ^_^

I remember when you did this last year Angela. Now I'm curious. How did you get started with this project? Had someone wanted to sponsor the project? Is it connected to preservation? Lastly, where and when does it air? Is it something we could see on a cable or satellite channel? It sounds like and great thing to do, and a very exciting project. Oh...another question. Is your husband responsible for the production, and what kinds of cameras and lights do you bring. Are they there waiting for you? It's all really quite fascinating.

It sounds like you live a very eventful life. I'm happy for you, and hope that my life will always be fun. I refuse to grow up is all...

Sounds like an absolute blast of a trip ahead of you! I imagine around this time of year its spring like weather in Australia this time of year. Should make hiking and getting out that much more enjoyable.

Have fun and please post a follow up when you get back!

The Nappyland stores carry them, they go under the other trading name of Australiancontinence.

I would say you wouldn't go for less than Tena Slip Maxi (which have small, medium & large) for your traditional tab style nappy/diaper.

For the pull on/up Tena Pants maybe?

Shop Online For Your Convenience & Peace Of Mind - Australian Continence

Shop Online For Your Convenience & Peace Of Mind - Nappyland

Have a safe trip Angela! Be safe and have a wonderful time and enjoy seeing another part of the world.

WildThing121675

angelabauer

Thanks to everyone for their interest, best wishes and advice about the Tena products.

So far no deal has been made to show last year's documentaries in either the USA or Australia. As I understand it the plan all along was to make the follow-up documentary that we will be doing this time, so all that material can be combined.

My husband Don Davis made many wildlife films starting in 1959 with his Golden Monkey film in IndoChina. The war had started so that was the last such nature film to be made it what became known as Vietnam and Laos. Don was the volunteer director of the Anteater Institute during the 1960s and 1970s. That is how he was asked to help raise awareness of extinction of the numbat, a tiny ant or termite eating marsupial. Although numbats hardly ever were kept in zoos, and those few did not thrive, they were not rare when Don did his first film including them. Somethings went wrong for the numbats. In December 1983 there were about 100 of them only in one reserve south of Perth. Last year all of the numbats were still on the same reserve, but spread over more land.

Since the general public is only so interested in numbats, going back 50 years Don covered the budget for filming numbats by doing documentaries about better known Australian animals and birds, especially the koala. Fortunately koala are cute as all get-out. Often they do hardly anything. It is not that koala are nocturnal. Using early night-vision scopes, the testing of which paid for years of koala conservation, Australian wildlife experts concluded Koala are no more active when it is dark. They usually sleep about 23 hours daily. Of course they do travel from tree to tree on the ground, but normally filming koala walking or running is frustrating. This is where Hall's Gap is so interesting in November. That is the start of koala breeding season, complicated by the arrival of re-located young females. To be blunt, this excites the established older male koala. Set up a camera on nearly any corner in that small town. In good daylight you will soon see two or more koala chasing one another, making a lot of noise. Until you are there with those koala running around you, sometimes bumping into you, it is difficult to think that can move fast, when they want to do so. Even on the ground the only people koala tend to run away from are those wearing anything like a ranger's work uniform. A few minutes of koala frolicking pays for days of a small crew documenting numbat 2,000 miles west.

For the past several years Don only hires Australian crews to film there, using their own equipment. Actually since they have been available those are high-def digital video cameras of several brands. The sound is recorded on separate digital recorders, the same types used on feature films. Don says the microphones are as good as any in Hollywood.

Don and I use Nikon professional SLR digital cameras, which are not as common in Australia as are Canon. Australia allows us to bring in two apiece, for a total of 4. This year all will be D3 variations. Some of the lenses are fixed focal length, such as the 300mm f/2.8 ED. We will also bring zoom lenses ranging from 18mm up to 600mm, of course not all in one lens. We cannot bring radio remotes for the Nikon, but we can bring the special cords. All the camera rental firms have well-maintained Pocket Wizard remotes. Each of us will have one small strobe, but we never use those photographing animals. Don has been using the same customs brokers for decades. It is almost more complicated getting our Nikon equipment back into the USA. The same broker deals with New Zealand. It is not quite like carrying a small point and shoot!

Later I will visit the Nappyland website. I think they were my supplier in one city last time.

The brands that you are thinking about are Tena slip Maxi (traditional adult nappy) and Tena pants (pull-ups) and the most reliable pl,ace to buy these is at Terry White Chemists for approx. $17AU

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    Don was the volunteer director of the Anteater Institute during the 1960s and 1970s. That is how he was asked to help raise awareness of extinction of the numbat, a tiny ant or termite eating marsupial. Although numbats hardly ever were kept in zoos, and those few did not thrive, they were not rare when Don did his first film including them. Somethings went wrong for the numbats. In December 1983 there were about 100 of them only in one reserve south of Perth. Last year all of the numbats were still on the same reserve, but spread over more land..
    I had never heard of a numbat before reading this - i just googled it and they are adorable, like a cross between an anteater and a chimmunk - hopefully the conservation efforts will continue to raise it's numbers. Thank you for teaching me of their existence

And I hope you have a wonderful time in Australia - Koalas look like they would be wonderful to cuddle if you get a chance! I look forward to reading about your trip as you get chances to update