Thread: Skull Candy Headphones/Ear Buds are indistructable

Default Skull Candy Headphones/Ear Buds are indistructable

So I have been a big fan of Skull Candy earbuds for a long time, and a few weeks ago at work they proved their awesomeness. We had a gas leak at work, so we had to get out quickly. My headphones were plugged into the computer speaker, and when I got up to leave I just pulled them out of my ears and tossed them on my desk.

We got the all clear to go back in about half an hour later. I come back in and start feeling for the ends of my earbdus only to find them resting in my cappuccino. My boss hears all the colorful language I am speaking, and she comes over to inspect. She took them washed them out, and set them out the window to dry. I had no hope, and went to Target after work and bought a new pair.

I came in the next day, and my boss gave my earbuds back and said to try them. I did, and was surprised to find they still worked as well as the day I had bought them. And now, an added bonus, they have a wonderful vanilla scent.

So Skull Candy has a customer for life. If they can survive the clumsy low vision person, they can survive about anything.

They may be indestructible, but they really don't sound all that great. If you want durable and good-sounding earbuds, Sennheiser makes some very nice ones, some with kevlar-reinforced cables, some that can actually be used in the shower (assuming your music player survives).

Quote Originally Posted by komodo View Post
    They may be indestructible, but they really don't sound all that great. If you want durable and good-sounding earbuds, Sennheiser makes some very nice ones, some with kevlar-reinforced cables, some that can actually be used in the shower (assuming your music player survives).
    Um... I've had skull candies for a long while and I love the way they sound.... WTF? I keep hearing this all over the place. I guess my ears are just shot. Anyways My skull candies have a bad habit of getting broken (cables) so yeah I've gone trough several pairs of em... they aren't that indestructable.

Nice man, it's always nice to have something that actually survives an accident or two (pun intended :P). I've been using the same pair of Sony buds for the longest time, they were 100 bucks but well worth it. They sound incredible. I'm pretty picky about my acoustic equipment lol

Yeah I bought some FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) earbuds in San Francisco. They are wonderful headphones with great sound. See people say the sound isn't great because they use other headphones. Once you get used to the sound of specific headphones, the olds ones will sound awful. I used to love the standard apple buds that came with the iPhone/iPod's but now that I started using skullcandy I hate the apple ones, they sound awful. Anyway yeah skullcandy is great.

I just use some $9.99 Sony HB's with my Sansa. I don't want to spend too much money on something flimsy

I actually test headphones and earbuds as kind of a hobby. I'm a bit of an audiophile so I love clean sound. I have several different skullcandy earphones and buds, but unfortunately they don't sound that great. For one they are made in China where sound quality (quality in general) is not a big deal. They are equal to other buds you can get from sites like dealexteme for next to nothing. In fact they are most likely made in the same factories and consist of the same material / components as the cheap ones on these sites. I went out and purchased the nice looking Metallica Death Magnetic headphones from Scullcandy expecting great sound, especially at the price I paid which at the time was upwards of $70. I was very disappointed at how light and flimsy the construction was, and then I put them on only to find out they sounded like the cheap Koss headphones I picked up a while back for $3.00 at a bargain store. I was not happy at all, but kept them because I like to have examples of what sounds good and what doesn't. I also picked up several other styles at the same time, but was equally disappointed in them. Skullcandy built a business on a name, and a marketing ploy that is aimed primarily at teens, skaters, and pot heads. I know it sounds harsh, but that is their main customer base. What other company has a whole line of earbuds that look like a weed pipe?

I'm glad your buds survived, but I would be more likely to attribute it to quick thinking on the part of your boss.

When I worked in IT; I used to put coffee soaked keyboards upside down in the dishwasher to clean them (with the heat off), and they always worked afterwords. Most electronics can be cleaned with water if you do it before the acid or salt in the liquid that was spilled on them has a chance to corrode, or eat away at the circuit board and components. This of course is assuming they don't have power going to them at the time, or are unplugged/batteries removed before they short out. You just need to make sure they dry completely before you apply power again. I have actually done this to cell phones, pagers, keyboards, speakers, radios, alarm remotes, and even laptop motherboards. They actually make cleaners that are safer, but if you don't have access to them, or the money to buy them; this works just fine in most cases. I actually used a cell phone that went to the bottom of a river for over 15 minutes. It lasted well over a year afterwords, and may still be working for whoever owns it now. I even cleaned a Blackberry three separate times with water including fully disassembling the LCD from the backlight and deflector which is fun, but it still works and saved my ex boss from having to replace his work phone.

tacobellisgood

Quote Originally Posted by Powderhair View Post
    So I have been a big fan of Skull Candy earbuds for a long time, and a few weeks ago at work they proved their awesomeness. We had a gas leak at work, so we had to get out quickly. My headphones were plugged into the computer speaker, and when I got up to leave I just pulled them out of my ears and tossed them on my desk.

We got the all clear to go back in about half an hour later. I come back in and start feeling for the ends of my earbdus only to find them resting in my cappuccino. My boss hears all the colorful language I am speaking, and she comes over to inspect. She took them washed them out, and set them out the window to dry. I had no hope, and went to Target after work and bought a new pair.

I came in the next day, and my boss gave my earbuds back and said to try them. I did, and was surprised to find they still worked as well as the day I had bought them. And now, an added bonus, they have a wonderful vanilla scent.

So Skull Candy has a customer for life. If they can survive the clumsy low vision person, they can survive about anything.
    Indestructible? Mine cost 50 bucks and lasted a week before the thing that goes around the top of your head just snapped.

I dunno what some of you guys are doing with them. I use mine to work out, I use them at work, and school. And I thought I asked a lot of my stuff.
    I was just saying I thought I had killed a nice pair of earbuds, but brought the back from the dead.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

I had some Sony at one point, but didn't like the sound.

I had a nice pair of white SkullCandy inner-ear buds, they broke like two weeks later, and I was actually very careful with them... oh well I guess