Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acne? Skin Care Taboo???

Default Acne? Skin Care Taboo???

Seems to me like most guys are either too afraid, or feel embarrassed to talk about the "A" word - Acne. Girls get together and talk about their skin care systems, for guys thats either considered gay or embarrassing. Theres nothing embarrassing about nice skin, so lets talk guys!!!

Acne effects so many teenagers, and I think that is something that needs to be talked about! I have personally had severe acne from about the ages of 15 - 17 on my face and back. I know only too well not only the Physical side effects of it, but also the emotional effects.

I want this to be a thread to be a gateway for people to talk about what has worked for them, what hasn't, and perhaps if you are willing, an intro on how it effects you?

I tried SO many different things ie Proactive, medicated face-washes, topical treatments.... The only thing that worked for me was a medication called roaccutane. It had HORRIBLE side effects, so i was only able to take it for a few months. It did however clear my acne

So come on guys and girls, Lets help each other out. Maybe someone has a natural alternative that is FANTASTIC that might help someone! ITS UP TO YOU!

I have some cream i got from my doctor, it works well. I only have the occasional pimple now and again.

I use a peroxide cream I got from the doctors, it's the only thing that actually gets rid of all of them. Before that I tried almost all creams and face washes etc but only 1 other got even close to the same result (Tesco own brand stuff surprisingly rather than Clearisil or other named brand stuff).

Mmm... I know this is aimed at guys, but well it is about skincare and I am a girl so I feel like I'm allowed to post!

First of all: girls do not get together and talk about their skincare systems! The closest I've ever come to talking to another girl about my skincare system is when my friend asked me what moisturiser I used to make my skin so glow-y, and my response was 'uhm... soap?'

And to respond to your question (although I don't have acne, just the occasional girly spot, so I'm not sure how helpful it will be), make sure to wash properly morning and evening, use a very gentle, unfragranced, sensitive soap, and then make sure you rinse your face REALLY thoroughly! See if you can leave your face with nothing on it for a few days. If you're trying out a lot of

I have been blessed with great skin, not to sound like a braggy dousch. I do get a pimple every few weeks, but other than that my face is very clear. And I don't even wash my face. Just daily, sometimes twice a day showers, seems to do the trick for me. And I know this is horrible and I'm not saying it to be mean, but I feel so bad for people that have it really bad, I know a kid that its so bad I can hardly look at him

Was a bigger problem when I was younger. I tried benzoyl peroxide on its own, which was useless. Then benzoyl peroxide with oral doxycycline, also useless. Then went all out with isotretinoin (accutane) and topical tazarotene, which made my skin peel like crazy and gave me nosebleeds and stuff, but worked amazingly well. Since then, I've been back on isotretinoin a couple times at low doses, and right now I'm using topical clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide, which seems to be doing the trick to keep the acne in control.

For very mild cases, you can try washing with soap that has triclosan (an anti-bacterial agent) in it. Next up is probably an over the counter benzoyl peroxide cream. When I was much younger. I did have some success with these. If it doesn't make your skin peel too much, creams with alcohol bases seem to work better, perhaps by drawing oil out of the pores or something. Anything worse will probably warrant a trip to the doctor.

Right. Now for a bit of a science:

Maybe someone has a natural alternative that is FANTASTIC that might help someone!
    When "natural" medicine actually works, they find the active ingredient, extract it or synthesize it, and it becomes regular medicine. Plants don't produce medicines to help humans, they produce compounds that serve some use to them, and many of these are meant to be poisonous. There's no reason to think that a "natural" alternative is somehow better for you. In fact, one of the first treatments for heart problems was administering extracts from the foxglove plant. It was very dangerous because the dose needs to be very precisely controlled to not kill the patient, and nobody could figure out how much of the active compounds was in a certain amount of plant. The plant is known to be toxic to pretty much all animals. Now doctors prescribe pure digitoxin and digoxin, the mechanism of action is known, and the safety is much much better.

/learning

Honey water and Green tea. Drink the stuff CONSTANTLY and use it as a toner. Not only is it good for your face, it's also good for weight loss, detox, healing, and it's good on wounds. (My four-inch 2nd degree scalding was healed in about a week from applying honey water 2 times a day.) Egg whites help control oily skin, and then the yolk can be used as a moisturizer on any dry areas afterward. Also, an aspirin mask can be used, as aspirin has salicylic acid in it. I only do an egg white mask about once a week, usually Sunday. Then I use an apricot facewash and honey water for the rest of the week, and I do an aspirin scrub on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by komodo View Post
    When "natural" medicine actually works, they find the active ingredient, extract it or synthesize it, and it becomes regular medicine. Plants don't produce medicines to help humans, they produce compounds that serve some use to them, and many of these are meant to be poisonous. There's no reason to think that a "natural" alternative is somehow better for you. In fact, one of the first treatments for heart problems was administering extracts from the foxglove plant. It was very dangerous because the dose needs to be very precisely controlled to not kill the patient, and nobody could figure out how much of the active compounds was in a certain amount of plant. The plant is known to be toxic to pretty much all animals. Now doctors prescribe pure digitoxin and digoxin, the mechanism of action is known, and the safety is much much better.

/learning
    When natural medicine works, you're not supporting the companies that kill animals, promote fraud and work for their own personal profit. I have no problems with the drugs themselves, but I'll boycott them until they work for the good of PEOPLE, not themselves.

I have noticed that guys tend to not talk much about skin care at all. The only time I remember any of my friends even mention it was when one of them spotted my accutane and asked me about it. I wasn't particularly troubled by acne, even when it was really severe; I think there's less of a stigma attached to the condition these days. However, in my experience, guys pretty much avoid discussion of personal hygene/grooming. Discussing shampoos or whatever isn't the most common topic with most men.

Also, an aspirin mask can be used, as aspirin has salicylic acid in it.
    Aspirin does not have salicylic acid in it. The active ingredient is acetylsalicylic acid, a synthetic derivative of the natural product salicylic acid. It replaced salicylic acid as an analgesic when it was found to be less irritating.

When natural medicine works, you're not supporting the companies that kill animals, promote fraud and work for their own personal profit. I have no problems with the drugs themselves, but I'll boycott them until they work for the good of PEOPLE, not themselves.
    I didn't say anything about companies. I just said that once we understand the action of the natural remedies that actually work, we can improve upon them. The vast majority of drugs are natural products, either extracted or synthesized, or else are derivatives of natural products. While we're on the topic of companies, do you really think that companies selling herbal/natural remedies are any less profit-hungry than pharmaceutical companies? At least drug companies need to prove that their drugs are safe and effective. Animal testing is an unfortunate, but necessary practice, unless testing treatments with unknown and possibly lethal effects on humans from the get-go is preferable.

My four-inch 2nd degree scalding was healed in about a week from applying honey water 2 times a day.
    Don't you think it would be a good idea to explore the chemistry/biochemistry behind things like this? A study will tell us if there is a real improvement from honey. Chemistry and biochemistry will tell us what is the ingredient responsible for the effect, if it exists, and how we can either duplicate or improve upon it. If it's something easy to make, it's probably a lot cheaper than honey.

Quote Originally Posted by komodo View Post
    Aspirin does not have salicylic acid in it. The active ingredient is acetylsalicylic acid, a synthetic derivative of the natural product salicylic acid. It replaced salicylic acid as an analgesic when it was found to be less irritating
    I was so tired that I forgot that. Still, if your skin is too sensitive for salicylic acid, aspirin masks are great simply because they're less irritating.

Don't you think it would be a good idea to explore the chemistry/biochemistry behind things like this? A study will tell us if there is a real improvement from honey. Chemistry and biochemistry will tell us what is the ingredient responsible for the effect, if it exists, and how we can either duplicate or improve upon it. If it's something easy to make, it's probably a lot cheaper than honey.
    No, I'm a stubborn douche and if the companies got a hold of this, we'd be in for the companies' scams again. Even if it IS cheaper to manufacture, they're going to rip us off because man is slowly losing touch with nature.

Mostly because I'm a stubborn douche and it gives me an excuse to buy honey in bulk. I like honey in my tea, it keeps my skin clear, AND it can be used to treat wounds. Even though society has been GREATLY improved by science and modern medicine, people are just being selfish about it now. I know that selfishness is a natural human trait, but when you're instilling it upon thousands of innocent people, that's where I draw the line. (Yes, this is an opinion, but I stick to my opinions and you have the right to stick by yours. I'm sure we both want each other to think differently, but that isn't going to happen based on our experiences in life. I will happily end on this note of psychology.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shukkume View Post
    No, I'm a stubborn douche and if the companies got a hold of this, we'd be in for the companies' scams again. Even if it IS cheaper to manufacture, they're going to rip us off because man is slowly losing touch with nature.
    I don't really care what you think about capitalism and (presumably) the American healthcare system, but you're saying that we shouldn't try to understand a piece of how our world works because some company might turn it into a commercial product? Something so enormous as science will not stop for something so small as man. Besides, it's not as though the honey is going anywhere. Hypothetically, if they did make a wound cream with a synthesized compound from honey, you could keep using the honey if you wished. I intend to enter the field of academic research because I want to expand man's knowledge of the universe, not so that I can discover something, patent it, then start a company and get rich, and a lot of scientists feel this way.