View Poll Results: What is the type of your primary home/home-office printer?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Inkjet, Mono

0 0%
  • Inkjet, Colour

6 31.58%
  • Laser, Mono

9 47.37%
  • Laser, Colour

4 21.05%
  • Dye-sublimation

0 0%
  • Wax

0 0%
  • Legacy stuff (Dot matrix etc)

0 0%
  • Something else not listed above

0 0%
  • I don't have a printer!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the type of your primary home/home-office printer?

Dude84

Default What is the type of your primary home/home-office printer?

To an extent, curiosity following a discussion over MSN with another member here.

We were discussing the cost of laser toner, which although usually has a higher initial outlay in terms of cost (e.g. 48 for the cyan, magenta and yellow, and 53 for the black for my HP) has a better page yield than a compareable inkjet model of the same manufacturer (again for mine, 1,400 pages for the CMY and 2,200 pages for the black). [Amounts using the standard 5% coverage ISO measurement.]

So, what is the type of your primary home/home-office printer, i.e one that you or someone in your immediate family where you live have purchased for use in your residence?

The one you use at work/college etc isn't really relevant, as in most cases the selection of the model and the cost of purchasing it and consumables for it won't be anything concerning you.

(I am also curious if there's anybody who is still using legacy/obsolete stuff like dot matrix machines!)

S
    Last edited by Dude84; 07-Oct-2010 at 18:19. Reason: Grammar correction

I rarely need color, and generally being a cheapskate a b+w cheap laser printer would do. Athough it does suffer from paper curl due to the small form it is in bending the paper while it's being heated.

Although I do remember having a fax machine that used thermal paper. So the consumable cost was mainly on the paper. And it was slow to print with. and the paper was horrible as hell. But we got nothing but advertisements anyway. So we better utilised the additional phone line as a 24/7 internet line! Because no one could phone you if you were on dial-up internet. Does anyone still use dial-up regularly?

We have a couple of Dell 1320cn (i.e. 1320c with the ethernet port enabled) colour laser printers in this house. My housemate bought one a few years ago and I was so impressed that I bought one as well. We didn't live together at the time, so it made sense then, but now we're living together again so we just have two identical 250 printers sat next to each other for no very good reason

And yes, toner is very expensive, but the starter toners that came with these printers do 1000 pages (that's what Dell quotes and seems accurate - I had to replace my black toner after the printer's stats Web page said it had done 1100 pages), and the replacements will do twice as much as that for 50 each, give or take. Plus, laser printers tend to have MUCH fewer driver issues than inkjets. I lost count of the number of driver problems I had with inkjet printers, plus problems with the ink heads clogging or becoming mis-aligned. All I've had go wrong with my printer in 1356 pages is a single paper jam which was rectified very easily. Can't fault it at all. (Well, photo output isn't brilliant, but it's passable, and who the hell buys a laser printer to print photos anyway?)

I have a Canon imageClass MF5730 B&W laser printer. It's over 5 years old, it still has its original toner cartridge! Laser just rules all the way XD

I just replaced my old Lexmark with a new Lexmark S605. I was going to get a Brother laser, but couldn't find one with all the features I wanted (scanner and wireless were top two) for the price range I was in. Color vs. B&W wasn't a big deal to me.

Dude84

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    We have a couple of Dell 1320cn (i.e. 1320c with the ethernet port enabled) colour laser printers in this house. My housemate bought one a few years ago and I was so impressed that I bought one as well. We didn't live together at the time, so it made sense then, but now we're living together again so we just have two identical 250 printers sat next to each other for no very good reason

And yes, toner is very expensive, but the starter toners that came with these printers do 1000 pages (that's what Dell quotes and seems accurate - I had to replace my black toner after the printer's stats Web page said it had done 1100 pages), and the replacements will do twice as much as that for 50 each, give or take. Plus, laser printers tend to have MUCH fewer driver issues than inkjets. I lost count of the number of driver problems I had with inkjet printers, plus problems with the ink heads clogging or becoming mis-aligned. All I've had go wrong with my printer in 1356 pages is a single paper jam which was rectified very easily. Can't fault it at all. (Well, photo output isn't brilliant, but it's passable, and who the hell buys a laser printer to print photos anyway?)
    You could pool them if they are identical; Windows supports this, so i'm sure Linux does if that is what you are using; would reduce your print queue substantially if you had documents pending, rather than having one machine sat there idleing. I use a HP CP1515n myself, which ships with an integrated ethernet card, and thus is how it is connected - a much better solution, as it makes it independent of any machines on the network. As far as drivers are concerned, documentation indicated it supports Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, Linux, and Mac OS so I don't ever envisage it being an issue.

And yes, there won't be any silly and annoying ink head clogging issues on a laser. However, I have printed photos on my machine, and on plain paper they're perfectly adequate; I haven't tried photographic paper yet although I imagine the results would be better. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
    You could pool them if they are identical
    We could, but our print volume is way too low to justify it. We usually only print 1-3 page documents at any given time, and even then only once every few days. None of us are at uni any more, so there's no need to print much

Quote Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
    However, I have printed photos on my machine, and on plain paper they're perfectly adequate; I haven't tried photographic paper yet although I imagine the results would be better. :-)
    Oh they're certainly adequate, and you don't notice any issues unless you look very carefully, but I'm well aware that a decent inkjet could give much better results and I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it bothers me slightly

I picked up a Brother HL-2140 from Staples for $50 a while ago, and I had an HL-2040 before it back in college. They're great, reliable, and perfectly suitable for my relatively rare printing needs.