Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhone vs. Android Phone? Which is better?

Butterfly Mage

Default iPhone vs. Android Phone? Which is better?

I have an iPhone 3GS (16Gb) and I am eligible for an upgrade in two more weeks. I'm considering going with an Android phone. The SonyEricsson x10 seems to have a bigger screen and higher resolution than the iPhone but I don't know a whole lot about the Android OS. There is a *lot* of hype online, but I've found that the reality rarely matches the hype.

Specifically:
    -- What can Android do that the iPhone can't?
    -- What can the iPhone do that the Android can't?
    -- Is an Android phone a step up compared to an iPhone?

Well, I can't really give you a comparison since I've never messed around with an iPhone before. I can however tell you that I've yet to find anything that my Android based phone can't do. (Motorola Droid X running Android 2.2)

Also: Sony Ericsson

All I can really say is that you should find out exactly what the new phone you're looking at can do, and find out if you current phone can do it too (via apps or whatever) before shelling out hundreds on a new device.

Yes, Android is a step up from iOS. There is no walled garden, so you don't need to void the warranty to run whatever software you want. Also, don't get the SE phone, last I heard it was still running 1.6. Get the AT&T version of the Galaxy S, which ships with 2.1 and will be upgraded to 2.2 soon.

I also believe that the Motorola Droid is locked down and won't let you run apps from outside of the Android Marketplace, as other Android phones will let you (once you check a box in the phone's settings, anyway). Don't quote me on that, but it's what I've heard.

The "problem" with Android vs the iPhone is that there are lots of Android phones, so your experience will vary a fair amount depending on which you get. The HTC EVO 4G (HTC Desire HD in Europe) is currently one of the best Android phones that you can get, and what I will hopefully be getting shortly, but you could easily find one with specs considerably worse than it, which could lead you to believe that "Android is slow", whereas the problem would really be that you'd bought a slow phone. At least with the iPhone there's only one of them so the experience is the same no matter what. Of course, choice also means competition and means that you can buy exactly the phone you want, rather than the phone that Apple wants you to have.

Personally I'm cheating on this decision and just getting an Android phone and an iPod Touch, thus allowing me to run almost all iOS apps, and all Android apps

The Droid X with Android 2.2 is currently the most powerful Android phone on the market atm according to benchtests. I also wouldn't settle for anything less than Android 2.1 if you go with an Android based phone. The Droid 2 and Droid X can also run 3rd party apps and much more if you 'Root' (allow apps to access the Android OS's system files via a hack) your device.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    The Droid 2 and Droid X can also run 3rd party apps and much more if you 'Root' (allow apps to access the Android OS's system files via a hack) your device.
    Yeah, this is what I mean... Android is supposed to be an open system, but then Motorola go and lock it down for no good reason and require you to hack it (thus probably voiding your warranty) if you want to install un-vetted apps. The whole point of going Android instead of iOS is so that you're not at the mercy of some random company to decide what you can and can't install, so choosing a locked-down Android device seems a bit pointless to me :/

Butterfly Mage

I wouldn't get Motorola anyway. Their phones used to be bulletproof when they were manufactured in Liberty, Illinois. But after the manufacturing got outsourced, their quality went downhill fast. Back when I used to be in the cell phone industry, I used to call Motorola phones "boomerangs" because they would be sold and immediately return.

I have an iPhone 4 (I'm typing on it now :P) and it is awesome compared to my friends droid. The iPhone is faster, has iTunes and the app store, has the two cameras. The droid is cool but the iPhone is beast.

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminwolf View Post
    I have an iPhone 4 (I'm typing on it now :P) and it is awesome compared to my friends droid. The iPhone is faster, has iTunes and the app store, has the two cameras. The droid is cool but the iPhone is beast.
    Wait, iTunes is an *advantage*?!

Also, most phones have two cameras.. Have done for years.. Even my old Sony Ericsson K800 had two cameras.. o.o

My kids have the first gen droid & they love it. just about everyone I know at work that has the iphone 1st 2nd 3rd 4th gen have complained about it one way or another. only ones that don't want to throw the thing in the garbage are the apple die hard's.

Dose not matter really. everything will have there +'s & -'s & no one knows when the one you will get will be the lemon. The latest Droid has all the bells & whistles that iphone has & then some like the better camera. what you need to look at is how good is the reception between AT&T & Verizon in your area & what are you looking to get out of your phone.
    Good luck