First, you need to understand that you may not be the first (or second, or tenth) DL that your doctor has ever come across in her or her career. While the causes of incontinence are not always straightforward, a few probing questions from your doctor might reveal inconsistencies in your answers that could well tip him or her off that you are a pretender. The good news is that your doctor is sworn to protect your information and not to divulge the details of your condition to anyone. The bad news is two-fold: a) ethics aside, medical people divulge confidential info all the time; and b) how is your doctor-patient relationship going to be if you suspect your doctor thinks that you are a fraud? Something to think about.

I do have some legitimate, minor incontinence issues but when I told my doctor, I made it sound worse than it actually was. She sent me to a urologist and I had a cystoscope (which found little other than a slightly enlarged prostate for someone of my age). There was no direct cost to me because I live in a country with public healthcare, but it was only after I realized that I had cost the public system money for something that wasn’t particularly urgent or bothersome and that I would now have to show up for my yearly physical wearing protection that I didn’t really need.

The good news, I suppose, is that when the causes of incontinence are mysterious, so can the remission of symptoms. Even so, I wouldn’t recommend burdening your doctor with phony symptoms. I did it and wish that I hadn’t.