Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Aids for stopping Bedwetting

Unhappy Mechanical Aids for stopping Bedwetting

I have wet the bed fro as long as i can remember and i stopped when i was about 13 but then i started deliberately about 18 months ago . My parents took me to the doctor who just said nothing was wrong and i would grow out of it which was cool cause I still got to wear a diaper. Recently my mum was reading a magazine article about a supposed "New cure for bedwetters" and took me to a new clinic with a new doctor. It was really embarrassing but the worse thing was after examing me he said i probably had weak pelvic muscles reccommended a TENS machine for me to use. This is a little box that connects to an electrode and like pulses through you . What is even worse is it has an anal electrode that goes in my butt and then i have to have the thing on for 15 minutes building up to 20 minutes. My mum is taking it really seriously as it cost like 200 dollars and she makes sure i am " doing the sessions '. I have stopped wetting for like a week but she says I have to use it for the reccomended 3 months the doctor says.

This is like the worse thing that has happenned and is so embarrassing especially laying on my bed with just a blanket over me and the thing going . She always checks.

Anyone else had this or like it or got any suggesstions about what i can do

Sounds to me like the only thing you can do is tell her that you were doung it deliberately...

To be honest all I can say is it serves you right!

This is a lesson to be learned for all the other people considering pretending to bed wet! Only bad things can come of it!

i don't get the idea of spending $200 on a machine to do something that can be done for nothing (exercise).
    still, you could always continue to wet with the excuse that the tens machine has also strengthened your bladder and that proportionately you're still in the same position of your pelvic muscles being too weak to combat bladder contractions.

That sounds god awful.

I don't think I could ever let myself go through something that sounds as unpleasant as that.

People use those for elecrto stimulation. Buying one is dumb. I built mine out of an old computer speaker amp. Just wire some radioshack transformers to the speaker leads, wire it to your disco stick and waaaahhhhh! :O

Lying is always stupid, karma turns around, and rapes you with a sine wave...

I agree with Talula. You kind of got what you deserve, but now that your in this situation, you may as well make the best of it. You can't just tell the truth now that your mom has spent $200. She would be really pissed at this point. I guess now that you've taken it this far, you will need to finish the therapy. It won't kill you; some people people actually enjoy that sort of thing.

There is something really wrong with that picture/idea, I am not saying your lying, but saying that any compitent doctor wouldnt risk there career by giving anyone a tens unit for something that isnt standard use/practice, has no clinical research to support it, let alone giving one to a minor with a so called "anal electrode", that would has many risks (that would go against the usage of a tens unit anyway), and then tell them to use it for 15-20 minutes... then there is much controversy as to if tens is even usful in ANY treatments that it is actually used for... there is way more wrong with this then just those few things!

I understand that people use tens for sexual pleasure, but there use for medical stuff is NOT the same, so if your doctor sent you home with a tens unit (seriously, with a anal electrode?), then you definantly need to find a new doctor! (even that you dont have anything wrong in the first place)

What was the magazine, I really want to read this article and see what whackjob doctor this is?
    Also what test did they do to come to the conclusion of "weak pelvic muscles", and what tests/scans did they do first? Even if you really dont have anything wrong, I want to know what tests they performed to come to that diagnoses (out of curiosity)

Are you a doctor . I found the article in the health magazine its called Nonpharmacological treatment of lower urinary tract dysfunction using biofeedback and transcutaneous electrical stimulation: a pilot study it was published it says first published 8 JUN 2006 . You can see the machine and electrode here .

NeuroTrac NT4 CONTINENCE.
    My mum got it through the doctor though and i have been going to that doctor for years.

Anyway thanks if i thought the doctor was wrong who do I tell? thisa machine looks like it is definately for this purpose . i cant imagine anyone doing it for fun

Quote Originally Posted by stillnotdry View Post
    Are you a doctor . I found the article in the health magazine its called Nonpharmacological treatment of lower urinary tract dysfunction using biofeedback and transcutaneous electrical stimulation: a pilot study it was published it says first published 8 JUN 2006 . You can see the machine and electrode here .

NeuroTrac NT4 CONTINENCE.
    My mum got it through the doctor though and i have been going to that doctor for years.

Anyway thanks if i thought the doctor was wrong who do I tell? thisa machine looks like it is definately for this purpose . i cant imagine anyone doing it for fun
    sorry, I didnt notice you live in New Zealand. I really dont know what the laws and medical community/practice is like there.
    I know in the US, a doctor wouldnt prescribe (or even recommend) something like that, ESPECIALLY to a minor. That looks like a gimmick that you would find in the back of a magazine, and goes against most everything I know about biofeedback techniques. I highly doubt that there is any real world scientific data to support it! In the US I believe that it would be illegal to sell that as a medical device, and would be sold as a "novelty"/non medical use. To be honest, it looks like a sex toy they relabelded and are pitching as a medical treatment to make money.

I still say, that if ANY doctor recommended that, especially without a full set of standard tests/scans and standard treatments first, then I wouldnt ever see that doctor again. ESPECIALLY since you claimed to have started to wet the bed again after not wetting for some time, and the fact your over 14! Those are some big red flags that show it is NOT normal childhood bedwetting! In the US, if a docter was to say nothing was wrong and that you would outgrow it, would be ignoring the very obvious. Then for them to give a minor a device with a anal probe would be VERY wrong. They would most likely lose there medical licence, if they werent sued for causing the minor serious complications.