Thread: For cloth wearers

Default For cloth wearers

I've come across a unique item on eBay, and I wonder whether any cloth diaper folk have encountered it or anything similar to it.

It's a "wool knit cloth diaper soaker/cover/briefs" for adults. I think it's more of a fashion item than something that's practical. It's not cheap.

Looks kind of neat.

(Sorry: Not quite sure about posting a picture.)

crazykittensmile

Do you mean this one?
    MERINO wool knit cloth diaper soaker/cover/briefs ADULT - eBay (item 280559562270 end time Oct-08-10 03:52:22 PDT)

Merino wool seems to be very popular at the moment, I have a few friends who would probably be classed as 'hippies' and their children get dressed in a lot of Merino wool. With wool diaper covers if you treat them with lanolin before use and then every month afterwards they have good waterproofing qualities, so you don't need to use plastic/rubber or pvc waterproof pants - wool is breathable and to some extent self-cleaning (if you hang them up to dry any smells go) so it doesn't need to be washed often and is better for babies' skin as it doesn't get so hot. On babies the wool pants seem to work quite well at being waterproof - you don't end up with wet spots when they sit on your lap or anything! I don't know how they would work for adults as I don't have any experience with adult cloth diapers, but I guess the idea is that they could be used in place of waterproof pants, not just as a nappy cover.

They are expensive, and I think they would have to be regularly treated with lanolin in order to be waterproofed, but they are cute. They look just like the real baby ones

EDIT: More info about wool nappy covers: http://littlepants.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=34

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by CurityGuy View Post
    I've come across a unique item on eBay, and I wonder whether any cloth diaper folk have encountered it or anything similar to it.

It's a "wool knit cloth diaper soaker/cover/briefs" for adults. I think it's more of a fashion item than something that's practical. It's not cheap.

Looks kind of neat.

(Sorry: Not quite sure about posting a picture.)
    Before 1890 when factories started manufacturing cotton diapers in the USA, some home-made diapers were made of wool. Every so often since 1890 some firm tries to sell diapers and diaper accessories made from wool.

The advantage of cotton, especially gauze and Birdseye weave is that they can be washed in very hot water using effective detergents to ensure removal of feces, urine and resulting byproducts. Only when a cloth diaper has been sanitized can it safely be reused.

Try to wash wool in hot water and it shrinks. Use typical cotton diaper detergent on wool and it falls apart. What are you going to do, wash those wool diapers using luke-warm water and Woolite? That will not be sanitary or effective.

What is the point of wool for diapers? It is far less effective absorbing urine than cotton. Wool costs far more. Wet wool in contact with sensitive skin causes rash far worse than does cotton.

If you still want to try those wool diapers, go right ahead.

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    Before 1890 when factories started manufacturing cotton diapers in the USA, some home-made diapers were made of wool. Every so often since 1890 some firm tries to sell diapers and diaper accessories made from wool.

The advantage of cotton, especially gauze and Birdseye weave is that they can be washed in very hot water using effective detergents to ensure removal of feces, urine and resulting byproducts. Only when a cloth diaper has been sanitized can it safely be reused.

Try to wash wool in hot water and it shrinks. Use typical cotton diaper detergent on wool and it falls apart. What are you going to do, wash those wool diapers using luke-warm water and Woolite? That will not be sanitary or effective.

What is the point of wool for diapers? It is far less effective absorbing urine than cotton. Wool costs far more. Wet wool in contact with sensitive skin causes rash far worse than does cotton.

If you still want to try those wool diapers, go right ahead.
    The wool is used as the diaper cover, instead of plastic/rubber pants - it is not used in place of the terrycloth/muslin diaper, you still need to use a regular cloth nappy with the merino wool covers, but once the wool is treated with lanolin you don't need plastic/rubber pants. This makes them much cooler and better for the environment. You don't need to wash them in hot water as wool is somewhat self-cleaning due to it's natural oils, and has naturally anti-bacterial properties. Wool doesn't really absorb smells, so for the most part the diaper cover can just be hung up to dry and will only need hand-washing once every few weeks. Because the wool is breathable the nappy doesn't get so hot - on babies they work very well. Not sure how they'd work for adults, but in principle I think they would be a good alternative to plastic/rubber pants. The regular cotton 'diaper' part would still need to be worn underneath, this seller just hasn't done a very good job of clarifying exactly how the wool diaper-covers work.

i'm sceptical about wool, too. in the olden days.....okay, my olden days, i tried supposedly waterproof, woven synthetic materials (nylons, etc) and they just don't hold up to the definition of waterproof - anything that touches the material destroys the proofing, this includes the nappy beneath.
    more recently (within the last decade), i've had the misfortune to be issued with 'waterproof' clothing of the same woven synthetic types and despite the passage of time and technological development, such materials still aren't waterproof. the only breathable and waterproof materials that i know off are skin and fur/feathers.
    as someone who works and plays outside in all weathers, i've tried all the proofings and they just don't work: the slightest bit of activity rubs off anything you put on the material - even thick grease doesn't work.
    i think the woolen gig is just a pointless posh-mum fashion statement, most of whom will be fobbing off their kids and their diapers to others.