Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incontinence and electric blankets

Unhappy Incontinence and electric blankets

I know that being IC and using an electric blanket is a no no for me but when it comes to the autumn and winter and with me living in an ancient house (1923) I need to keep warm without spending mega ££££ on heating bills. So I use an electric blanket and on top of that goes a washable waterproof mat, then various sheets and then an incontinent cat. Anyhow last night even with wearing Lilfit (supreme)fit, medium size maxi absorbancy and wearing pvc pants over the top I still wet the bed last night. I flood when I wet, I awoke when I felt that nasty creeping wetness that spread along the bed sheets. I am really fed up with the whole thing this morning, I now have to wash the bedding AGAIN. I had only just fitted clean sheets last night. I may have to buy more terry toweling fitted velcro fastening nappies and go full time wearing those. I sleep in any position, on my back or any side or even on my front. I was on my front when the bed got wet last night. I have tried many different diapers and so far none of them have continuously been watertight, I had more success with stuffers/soakers/boosters but I would need three everytime and that gets expensive.
    Any ideas guys ?
    Last edited by Tiddles; 30-Sep-2010 at 09:02.

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Tiddles View Post
    I know that being IC and using an electric blanket....
    Always ensure that blanket is unplugged before getting into bed, the risk of a fatal electric shock is very real. The heat off the electric blanket will shorten the lifespan of the washable waterproof mat. Note also, that the electric blanket will fail prematurely if it is allowed to bunch or fold over itself (causes hot spots on the element).

I don't pretend to be a great expert here, I cant see the point of plastic pants directly over a disposable as there is no absorbency layer between the two. That arrangement is fine for very minor leaks, but no more than that. On the basis that you do sleep on your side, I'd suggest switching to cloth.

I use an electric blanket during the winter months from october onwards.
    The blanket itself is covered by a good quality waterproof /towelling cover sheet. Like the previous poster has said i would never go to bed with the blanket switched on even if the manufacturers stated that it was safe to do so. i work in the service sector & have wittnessed the damage done by an electric blanket on at least two occassions which resulted in house fires, thankfully there were no casualties . Electric blankets should be sent back to the manufacturers every two years or so to confirm the integrity of the heating cables within the blanket & the controls that regulate the temperature, but i think in reality this is very rarely carried out. I only wear cloth diapers at night as i find them to be far more reliable than disposables,but they are alot more work in terms of washing them. You could try placing an additional soaker/ disposable pad across the top of the nappies to help if it is leaking at the top

o wow i know exactly how you feel. just now this morning i woke up to that horrible feeling of wet bed, i had on an abenas xplus with plastic pants and it leaked through that but didn't stop there, it leaked over the top of the plastic pants as i was on my tummy and then proceeded to soak the boxers i had over them to keep the plastic out of the zipper of my polar fleece footed pj's which leaked through to my unplugged heated blanket then to the remaining sheets, fortunately i don't have to use a plastic mattress cover as the mattresses from the school i go to already have a waterproof coating on them. of course i just stripped and washed my entire bed set a few days ago but i had to do it again and throw it in a plastic garbage bag so it doesn't smell up the dorm until i can get back later and do laundry i really hope my dormates dont notice

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    Always ensure that blanket is unplugged before getting into bed, the risk of a fatal electric shock is very real. The heat off the electric blanket will shorten the lifespan of the washable waterproof mat. Note also, that the electric blanket will fail prematurely if it is allowed to bunch or fold over itself (causes hot spots on the element).

I don't pretend to be a great expert here, I cant see the point of plastic pants directly over a disposable as there is no absorbency layer between the two. That arrangement is fine for very minor leaks, but no more than that. On the basis that you do sleep on your side, I'd suggest switching to cloth.
    I thought that plastic pants over the top would be an extra safety barrier. Perhaps I need more layers. As for the electric blanket and a shocking end to life, this morning I was so fed up that I didnt care. I am fine now.
    Thank you for your input

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I use an electric blanket during the winter months from october onwards.
    The blanket itself is covered by a good quality waterproof /towelling cover sheet. Like the previous poster has said i would never go to bed with the blanket switched on even if the manufacturers stated that it was safe to do so. i work in the service sector & have wittnessed the damage done by an electric blanket on at least two occassions which resulted in house fires, thankfully there were no casualties . Electric blankets should be sent back to the manufacturers every two years or so to confirm the integrity of the heating cables within the blanket & the controls that regulate the temperature, but i think in reality this is very rarely carried out. I only wear cloth diapers at night as i find them to be far more reliable than disposables,but they are alot more work in terms of washing them. You could try placing an additional soaker/ disposable pad across the top of the nappies to help if it is leaking at the top
    The electric blanket was new this time last year, there are numerous inbuilt safety devices. I do however have a 12volt version, I could rig up a decent power supply to that and use it. I have tried various combinations over the years and the terry toweling seems to work well with plastic pants over the top, but washing them and getting them dry is a chore. I hate to wet the bed so I will have to get more velcro fastening terry toweling from Cosy n dry.
    *hugs* thanks for the reply

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by woofcub View Post
    o wow i know exactly how you feel. just now this morning i woke up to that horrible feeling of wet bed, i had on an abenas xplus with plastic pants and it leaked through that but didn't stop there, it leaked over the top of the plastic pants as i was on my tummy and then proceeded to soak the boxers i had over them to keep the plastic out of the zipper of my polar fleece footed pj's which leaked through to my unplugged heated blanket then to the remaining sheets, fortunately i don't have to use a plastic mattress cover as the mattresses from the school i go to already have a waterproof coating on them. of course i just stripped and washed my entire bed set a few days ago but i had to do it again and throw it in a plastic garbage bag so it doesn't smell up the dorm until i can get back later and do laundry i really hope my dormates dont notice
    *hugs* I thought that I had it bad, but you are in it even deeper than me. I have only myself to worry about. I hope it all goes well for you

o.o wow i never really heard of electric bankets before this post but um um honnestly eeps like that sounds suicidal lmao. Towards leaking maybe you need to look into different kinds of products. Im not really a good example since im not very big and my body rarely gets a chance to "flood" because my incontinence is abit leaky so to speak but atleast, as a user of youth diapers i find that a combination of a tranquility ATN with a top liner booster contour is great at holding back even the most evasive leaks both wet and messy. Maybe look into a contour booster pad?

I have an electric mattress fitted sheet. It is an electric blanket that is under you. The good thing there is you can put a water proof sheet over top of it & never have to worry about it shorting out. Also try not having to much to drink before going to bed :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tiddles View Post
    I thought that plastic pants over the top would be an extra safety barrier. Perhaps I need more layers. As for the electric blanket and a shocking end to life, this morning I was so fed up that I didnt care. I am fine now.
    Thank you for your input
    ---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

The electric blanket was new this time last year, there are numerous inbuilt safety devices. I do however have a 12volt version, I could rig up a decent power supply to that and use it. I have tried various combinations over the years and the terry toweling seems to work well with plastic pants over the top, but washing them and getting them dry is a chore. I hate to wet the bed so I will have to get more velcro fastening terry toweling from Cosy n dry.
    *hugs* thanks for the reply
    ---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

*hugs* I thought that I had it bad, but you are in it even deeper than me. I have only myself to worry about. I hope it all goes well for you
    yea the plastic pants are supposed to be an extra barrier against small leaks but only helped a little bit since it was a disposable diaper and i didn't have a cloth or something between the pants and the diaper it just went up and out the top because i was on my tummy sleeping.
    if you are wearing cloth instead of disposables you can just get a extra cloth prefold or even a non adult prefold and just put it toward the top of the plastic pants to absorb what the rest doesn't get this also works with disposables and plastic pants.

*hugs back* all seems well so far haven't gotten to laundry yet but some paper towels and baking soada soaked up what was on the bed and everything else is in bags so no smelly room

on a side note most of the electric blankets now are low voltage and have many safety systems built into them to prevent electrocution however as mentioned above should be sent in for checking/service every couple of years.

Wetting the bed always comes unexpected and at a bad time. Only recently I went to sleep with a stuffed diaper, just for sure, but woke up in a wetted bed. Bad luck. I always have a water proof sheet on my bed. In the colder time, I have the comfort of an electric blanket. It is under my water proof sheet. Apart from that, I have chosen a low voltage electric blanket. They are more expensive and less powerful, but I do not want to sleep on high voltage. I understand these are not for sale in the UK. Anyway if your home has a Ground Fault Circuit interrupter not much can happen to you in the event.

They are not too common anymore. They have a history of starting fires and burning people with circulation problems.