Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BUSTED! (A.K.A.: My Boss knows!!!!)

Default BUSTED! (A.K.A.: My Boss knows!!!!)

NOTE: text enclosed on " " are quotes from either conversations or my job rules book

I commented recently (today, DUH) that the organization of the company I work is pretty flexible in terms of apparel and the such (not for everyone, that is: just for "those individuals that have proven several times that free dress code/music/decoration, etc affects their productivity in a possitive way")

So here I am: working 10 hours a day in an office with lots of videogame and music posters hanging from it, my daily jeans or rock band shirt to work, my sneakres and as I said, sometimes even pijamas. Here I am coming to work with my iPod hanging from me everyday. And always a stack of food boxes and candy wrappers being taken from my garbage every friday. Coclussion is: I get to work dressed how I want, walking the building wheneer I want and talking however I want... "as long as results are obtained in a time sensitive matter" I even got to play in the office several times, (there is still a memorable office chair race that is being commented in the halls)

Yesterday, my boss approached me (he being a guy who is like 30 years older than me and has 2 master degrees in psychology) and said: "We are having a very important meeting with the CEO and many stock holders next monday, now you know that I let you be you all time and you have total freedom performing your duties however you want to perform them, but at least for next week I need you to behave for your own good... CEO is know fos his crappy sense of humor"

All I could say was.... "...Behave?" and he puts this face like saying "Dont play dumb" and replies "I know that you.. inside your own world you are Just a little kid, who just wants to eat and play all day, I know that you picture this as school rather than work and I know that is why you are so comfortable at this company, because we allow you to do so but even tho your results are just what you are required... I need you to act formal and GROWN UP for a week, will ya little one?"

With that he made a wink and left to his office.

"WHAT THE HELL????" was I could think of, I took my stuff bagged it up and left 2 hours earlier from my shift still thinking if what happened really happened. What should I do? think? ??? I mean: In your opinion, did he just say "I know you are an AB" without saying the exact term? (and he did mention plushies, but I believe that part of the conversation fits beter in the babyfur area)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    Imo, it just sounds like he thinks you're immature.
    agreed. not sure why you questioned the first part though, it was pretty clear he was saying "next week, don't fuck around; act like this is a serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    Imo, it just sounds like he thinks you're immature.
    Pretty much this. I wouldn't read any more into it than his clear advice to behave more professionally for the next week for sure and probably a bit more in general.

well, I dont know, I guess the "alarm lights" fired up when I hear him saying "Just a little kid" so probably Im just being paranoid?

Dude, something important came up...

He wants everything to go right that is all.

My previous job was just like yours. We as engineers have always been allowed to dress, act, and do what we wanted as long as work was getting done as required. We were even allowed to dress in shorts, sweats, pj's , flip flops, or whatever else we wanted to when the rest of the company was made to wear "business appropriate" attire. I think your boss' comments were strictly in reference to your work attire, and attitude. I doubt he knows any more than that. Some bosses just like to refer to their employees as their children. I had one that talked to me like that once, and it was a bit strange.

Is there any other evidence besides, that would suggest he knows anything about your infantilism?

I wouldn't read into this too far--he very likely just wants to make a good impression for the CEO. Isn't the CEO, basically, his boss? If you were in his position, wouldn't you ask the same of your employees?

Just relax, wear a suit (or whatever is appropriate), and impress the CEO.

Nah, I'm pretty sure he heard about your office chair race (which is pretty teenage-esq), and was just hinting at that. No need to worry!

Quote Originally Posted by kamploopstrout View Post
    Nah, I'm pretty sure he heard about your office chair race (which is pretty teenage-esq), and was just hinting at that. No need to worry!
    He recorded it with his cellphone at the time. AS I said, I have been allowed to do so much...

---------- Post added at 06:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kif View Post
    Is there any other evidence besides, that would suggest he knows anything about your infantilism?

I wouldn't read into this too far--he very likely just wants to make a good impression for the CEO. Isn't the CEO, basically, his boss? If you were in his position, wouldn't you ask the same of your employees?

Just relax, wear a suit (or whatever is appropriate), and impress the CEO.
    And I think that he has been hinting that fact sometimes, but yet again ,it might be my paranoid imagination at work