Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What TV shows did you like as a kid?

crazykittensmile

Default What TV shows did you like as a kid?

So, the post about Sooty & Co got me remembering all of the TV shows I used to enjoy watching, so I'm just wondering which TV shows you remember from your youth. Have you watched them since? Do you still like them now?

TV shows I loved as a small child included: Pingu, Postman Pat, Sooty, Bump The Elephant, Penny Crayon, The Wombles, Babaar, Spider, Barney (the sheepdog, not the dinosaur), The Family Ness, Thomas The Tank Engine, Fireman Sam, Noddy, Superted, Come Outside.

I still love to watch those shows now and have most of them on either DVD or video to watch occasionally.

When i got a bit older I liked: Chucklevision, The Rugrats, Julia Jekyll & Harriet Hyde, The Wild House, Round The Twist, Mike & Angelo, Arthur, Mr Bean ... I know there were more but I can't remember them. Maybe someone else can refresh my memory.

I don't really like watching those shows (apart from Mr Bean!) so much any more, even though they are probably more at my level than the ones I liked when I was smaller, I guess maybe that's because I identify more with myself as a small child than an older one.

(Oh, and if you're not in the UK sorry that the majority of shows on my list you probably haven't even heard of!)

When real little probably Barney (ick) and Sesame Street. Not sure if it was when little or a bit older but also remember Reading Rainbow, Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood, Arthur and Between the Lions (i think that was the name).

Oh my god, I LOVED Sooty and Co! One episode I remember really well is the one about "battery operated nose hair trimmers" lol.
    I also liked Playdays, Bodger and Badger, Bump the Elephant, Pingu, Fireman Sam, Williams's Wish Wellingtons etc.
    When I was older - Get Your Own Back, Spongebob (still my fav programme today), Blue Peter, My Parents are Aliens, 50:50.

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by Guineapigged View Post
    Oh my god, I LOVED Sooty and Co! One episode I remember really well is the one about "battery operated nose hair trimmers" lol.
    I also liked Playdays, Bodger and Badger, Bump the Elephant, Pingu, Fireman Sam, Williams's Wish Wellingtons etc.
    When I was older - Get Your Own Back, Spongebob (still my fav programme today), Blue Peter, My Parents are Aliens, 50:50.
    Oh, i forgot about William's Wish Wellingtons! I loved the theme tune. And how could I forget Bodger & Badger!? That was one of my favourite shows, although it went a bit downhill once Mousey joined the crew...

scooby doo! :3 hamtaro, dargon tails was my fav when i was very young

Quote Originally Posted by babyjess View Post
    TV shows I loved as a small child included: Pingu, Postman Pat, Sooty, Bump The Elephant, Penny Crayon, The Wombles, Babaar, Spider, Barney (the sheepdog, not the dinosaur), The Family Ness, Thomas The Tank Engine, Fireman Sam, Noddy, Superted, Come Outside.
    Oh, man. There are some true classics in that list! The Family Ness and Babaar! Haven't thought about them in years.

One I always mention when people bring up this topic that hardly anyone seems to remember is Bertha. I used to absolutely love it when I was a kid but it seems to have gone under the radar for the most part.

There are a few others that also come to mind: SuperTed, Bucky O'Hare (for the theme tune alone), Charlie Chalk, Danger Mouse...hm...The Moomins, I suppose. I'm sure there are loads people will list that make me think, 'Oh, yeah! That was brilliant!', but I can't recall them now.

And does anyone remember Maid Marian and her Merry Men with Tony Robinson? Most of the programmes I've listed are probably there out of nostalgia but Maid Marian was actually really good. Better than many a comedy that's had some mainstream success, I'd say.

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden View Post
    Oh, man. There are some true classics in that list! The Family Ness and Babaar! Haven't thought about them in years.

One I always mention when people bring up this topic that hardly anyone seems to remember is Bertha. I used to absolutely love it when I was a kid but it seems to have gone under the radar for the most part.

There are a few others that also come to mind: SuperTed, Bucky O'Hare (for the theme tune alone), Charlie Chalk, Danger Mouse...hm...The Moomins, I suppose. I'm sure there are loads people will list that make me think, 'Oh, yeah! That was brilliant!', but I can't recall them now.

And does anyone remember Maid Marian and her Merry Men with Tony Robinson? Most of the programmes I've listed are probably there out of nostalgia but Maid Marian was actually really good. Better than many a comedy that's had some mainstream success, I'd say.
    I watched the intro to Bertha but I'm afraid I don't remember it - I looked it up on Wikipedia and it's broadcasting dates were 1985/86. I was born in 1987 and although I'm sure it was repeated after it's original broadcasting dates maybe I missed it. I don't remember Bucky O'Hare either. But i loved Charlie Chalk (although he was a little scary) and The Moomins! I've watched Danger Mouse as an adult, but never saw it as a kid.

Oh, and I loved Maid Marian & her Merry Men - I agree that it was actually very good. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I remember looking forward to coming home from school and watching it. I was a little older when that came out I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden View Post

I remember Bertha. My older brother was really into machinery and stuff so he loved it and we used to watch it a lot. I did find it rather scary at times but that little robot was cute lol.

Quote Originally Posted by babyjess View Post
    I watched the intro to Bertha but I'm afraid I don't remember it - I looked it up on Wikipedia and it's broadcasting dates were 1985/86. I was born in 1987 and although I'm sure it was repeated after it's original broadcasting dates maybe I missed it.
    We're actually the same age and none of the people in my school year or at uni ever seemed to remember it when we (frequently) got onto the topic of children's TV either.

Quote Originally Posted by Guineapigged View Post
    I remember Bertha. My older brother was really into machinery and stuff so he loved it and we used to watch it a lot. I did find it rather scary at times but that little robot was cute lol.
    Ah! Excellent. That's made me think that I might have been watching it on videos bought for my older sister or some such. It would explain why no one my age seems to remember it - because maybe it wasn't actually on telly when we were little. Or maybe it was and it's just that only super cool kids like your brother and I watched it.

Anyhoo, it was great however it was I saw it. And Tom the robot was excellent; I remember playing at being him. Good times.