Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: preventing leaking at night

Default preventing leaking at night

I have been searching the archive for information on how to prevent leaking at night, but nothing too specific. Because I have prostate problems I usually get up 3-4 times a night to pee, so I thought I would try using a diaper at night (abena X-plus). So when I woke needing to relieve myself, I did so while lying on my side. Clearly a bad idea as the bed got wet.
    I am thinking there are maybe 2 approaches to this. Lay on my back or stomach and/or wear plastic pants (ugh). Do the pants fit so tight that they will not leak out the leg? Where does one find adult sized plastic pants and are there better choices?
    Also is there a mattress protector that is peeproof and still breathes?

Unfortunately, lying on your back (not your stomach as you'll leak out the top front of the diaper) is about the best bet. Plastic pants will also help, but with disposables there is no absorbent material at the sides, so you will still probably leak. Cloth woth plastic pants is amazing at any angle.

Plastic pants over a diaper are a great idea for bed anyway as they will help keep you from leaking out the leg gathers. I get many of mine from adultclothdiaper dot com, and the trick is to check the sizing charts and base your size first on your LEG measurements. Otherwise you'll have them cutting into your legs and they'll eventually split under the strain. If you get the leg size right you'll have no problems woth the legs cutting into you.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Oh, mattress protector... Yes, you can find a a comfortable one. Look for one thats a bit more money that has a quilted top. We spent $25 on the very basic mattress protector we have on our woefully small full bed. It has a quilted top with a vinyl base, and it works great and is comfortable. Just check it every so often as after a while the vinyl will split from the stress of you moving around in bed and stuff. Mine usually lasts about 8 months.

If you empty your bladder just before padding up and going to bed, and didn't do anything stupid in the way of fluid intake that evening, if you're wearing any of the higher end diapers (abena/bambino/247/etc) and are pointing down and sleeping on your back, there's very close to zero change of leaking. Floods would be the only other risk but it doesn't sound like that's an issue for you, just go as soon as you wake up with an urge and you'll be fine.

Men really can't wet any volume safely on their stomachs, and sides are risky for anyone. (moreso for men) Sleep on your back if you can, but if you must side/stomach sleep, roll onto your back to wet, and wait a minute for things to wick before rolling back onto a side.

I found that non breathable covers had that same issue of perspiration etc, but I was able to fix it by simply covering it with a thin blanket. (I'm assuming you're more interested in protecting your mattress than your sheets) Putting the protector under the sheet by itself doesn't work. You can put the blanket on top of the sheet, or between the sheet and the protector. Between is more convenient if you don't usually leak, on top is more convenient if you DO leak. (for minor leaks it won't even make it to the sheet, you can just swap the blanket into the wash)

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    If you empty your bladder just before padding up and going to bed, and didn't do anything stupid in the way of fluid intake that evening, if you're wearing any of the higher end diapers (abena/bambino/247/etc) and are pointing down and sleeping on your back, there's very close to zero change of leaking. Floods would be the only other risk but it doesn't sound like that's an issue for you, just go as soon as you wake up with an urge and you'll be fine.

Men really can't wet any volume safely on their stomachs, and sides are risky for anyone. (moreso for men) Sleep on your back if you can, but if you must side/stomach sleep, roll onto your back to wet, and wait a minute for things to wick before rolling back onto a side.
    I have to disagree, I wear an Abena Extra with a booster pad to bed pretty much every night and I've never had a problem with leaks. I'm a stomach and side sleeper so I don't really think that is a problem with a good diaper. The trick I use is make sure the legs (which I tape up first) are really tight and secure so as to prevent leaks. The good diaper along with the booster pad wicks sufficiently well to keep pee from leaking out the top.

I keep my cuffs tight, but the problem I generally have is out the top on that side. Too much and that side of the front just gets saturated and there's nothing left to catch more. You're only using 1/5 of the diaper at that point. (of: front left, front right, rear left, rear right, middle) I even tried adding a booster in the front, *sideways*, and it still leaked when I turned on my stomach due to the booster getting juiced.

I have a few things I do to keep my bed dry. There's always a plastic sheet between my mattress and mattress pad; I wear one size larger diaper than what I need, and I wear premium diapers; and I wear a lined plastic pant over them. My diaper of choice is Abena X-Plus. The pant I wear over my diaper I get from Kins/Babykins. I like their terry-lined polyester/vinyl pant because it's strong. That, too, is a bit larger than I need.

Any leaks from that good disposable end up in the pant. I have never, ever, leaked beyond my plastic pant, not once. This is a record over a period of more than seven rears, wearing and wetting diapers nightly. That's pretty good, eh? I'll get the plastic pant wet/damp maybe 3 to 5 times a month, by the way. I can wear a pant that never got wet night after night, for a number of days. I have, maybe, 6 of those pants.

I have tried an abena x-plus with a booster in the back and was amzed at how well it absorbed when I laid on my side. I did not wear it all night, but I did not have a leak during the time I was on my side. I was wetting slowly, though--not sure if it would hold with a true flood. I found a vinyl waterproof mattess cover at a Kohl's Dept Store for about $30 and it is very comfortable. Also, I have had fewer leaks since began fastening the legs a little tighter.

I use Tranquility ATN's at night and have not really had a leaking problem. I roll around and sleep in who knows what positions at night, and have yet to have a major problem. I would NEVER trust a pull-up 100% at night, although the Abena Abri-Flex Air Plus pull-ons and the Tranquility Premium OverNight pull-ons have shown potential, at least for me. I know my new favorite day protection (Tena Serenity Men's Super Plus) would never hold up at night; especially if I were laying on my side. I fell asleep in them last night, but luckily I didn't wet. I know they're better than nothing at night, but I don't know how much.

I use cloth diapers with plastic pant or dry24/7 at nite and have had very few leaks.My bed has always had a plastic mattress cover and a absorbent pad I sleep on

Maybe some boosters can be a good idea to use in the diaper.