Thread: So I applied for 15 positions in Toys R us for that whole Holiday Express deal....

Default So I applied for 15 positions in Toys R us for that whole Holiday Express deal....

What are the odds of getting at least one of em? @[email protected] I really hope I get it this temp money would really come in handy!

well we don't know we don't have a clue about your resume do we

seriously though working in toys r us or any retail environment isn't this fun holiday and easy money that everyone seems to think it is. and you don't just apply for a handful of jobs in one place and expect them to drop at your feet.

also please don't tell me you chose toys r us because it's infantilist

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Gant View Post
    well we don't know we don't have a clue about your resume do we

seriously though working in toys r us or any retail environment isn't this fun holiday and easy money that everyone seems to think it is. and you don't just apply for a handful of jobs in one place and expect them to drop at your feet.

also please don't tell me you chose toys r us because it's infantilist
    Whoa Chill man.... I have a pretty good resume (it impressed the internship lady at my college) On top of that I applied only to toys R us because they seem to be the one opening stores all over the place. Better chances of getting a job. My apppying to Toy's R Us has little to do with my infantilism for the basic reason of... It's coincidental. They are opening positions all over the place so might as well take a shot at it.... I doubt I"ll get any position tough... I was just wanting to.... Iunno ask if someone has ever been in a similar experience.

When I apply to jobs I find it easier to apply to lots of different stores. Many places will look at everyones CV's for all the positions available, so sending them more than one just irritates them. Better to spread your CV around so more people have heard of you.

As for Christmas jobs... yurgh! Hate em!

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    As for Christmas jobs... yurgh! Hate em!
    christmas jobs are usually a slightly costlier (for the company) and longer version of an interview with a trial period, basically

I don't care what it does for the company, it's what it does to my nerves that I worry about!!

It depends how many candidates there are. Assuming everybody is pretty much suitable for the jobs, and all the jobs are the same, and there are 300 candidates, and you all get an interview (extremely unlikely, but for the sake of this pointless post), and you all do equally well at interview, the odds will be 1/300 + 1/299 + 1/298 + 1/297 + 1/296 + 1/295 + 1/294 + 1/293 + 1/292 + 1/291 + 1/290 + 1/289 + 1/288 + 1/287 + 1/286. Maybe.

Good luck, anyway =)

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    I don't care what it does for the company, it's what it does to my nerves that I worry about!!
    it was more a comment about how christmas jobs are a permenant staff selection procedure more than anything else but oh well

the only reason I'd ever take a christmas job is because I know my way round retail tricks and traps and if I wanted to stay on I'd know what to and what not to do. most christmas temps are notorious for treating the job as an inconvenience and "oh god do I HAVE to do this" kind of thing, not to mention christmas time in most places of retail is just a zerg rush of horrid proportions anyway which is why I'd never go for a christmas place anyhow

having said this I am not looking forward to christmastime in my workplace, what with the retarded music we're forced to play ("LITTLE DRUMMER BOOOOOOOOOY" "santa claus got stuck down my chimney, stuck down my chimney, stuck down my chimney (repeat ad nauseum)" "SIMPLY, HAAAVING, A WONDERFUL CHRISTMASTIME") but the extended number of people all rushing in because they need a TURKEY RIGHT NOW!!!!!! EVEN THOUGH IT's AN HOUR BEFORE YOU CLOSE WHERE ARE THE TURKEYS WHY HAVE YOU SOLD OUT I NEEEEEEEEED ONE YOU'VE RUINED CHRISTMAS FOR ME BECAUSE I COULDN'T BE BOTHERED TO DO ANYTHING IN TIME

or the absolute clusterfuck of people all pushing and shoving and being all with us which does absolute wonders for my already strained ability of pretending to be happy to deal with constant streams of people on a daily basis

oh retail~

It depends how many candidates there are. Assuming everybody is pretty much suitable for the jobs, and all the jobs are the same, and there are 300 candidates, and you all get an interview (extremely unlikely, but for the sake of this pointless post), and you all do equally well at interview, the odds will be 1/300 + 1/299 + 1/298 + 1/297 + 1/296 + 1/295 + 1/294 + 1/293 + 1/292 + 1/291 + 1/290 + 1/289 + 1/288 + 1/287 + 1/286. Maybe.
    I'm perhaps being a pedant here (ok I am wholly being a pedant here) but being privy to both sides of the procedure, there can be 10000 candidates or 100 candidates and the majority of them will be crap. A lot of the CVs and resumes are just...eh. Like when someone's mother hands in some guy's CV, that's instant bin fodder for many reasons. Or when someone does the creepy "hang round and constantly ask about whether we've considered their CV" thing.

one good way of getting in is to be related to someone who's already working there. "Oh that's the guy in cash office's brother, he's in, oh and that's the electronics department guy's cousin, he's in" At least half of the new recruits at our place are relations to our current staff