Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life Management Class woes

Exclamation Life Management Class woes

My school makes it mandatory every student takes and passes a Life Management class. The begining of the class seemed more like a psycology class, but then it turned into how to handle stress and what causes it. Thats where the problem lays. I had to do a check list to see how stressed i was (everone had to take it but i was absent the last few days of school so i had to take it alone) i was finishing it a few minutes ago at my desk and i got to a section about what causes stress. Some of the questions were bringing up bad memories of past experiences. I was nearly in tears when i finished. How is the schook alowed to teach a class like this? Its a terrible experince to be forced to remeber things you tried to forget all for some homework assighnment.

The school says it's mandatory. If it's not on the graduation requirements it's not.

Point that out to the councilor then go into why you don't want to take the class.

They did say its manditory and i need it to graduate

Because you aren't the "norm". Most people don't have past experiences that are so bad that a thing like that would make them reach the point of tears. Most of the stuff is probably completely harmless for the "average" student.

even if i am not the norm (im in most casses are not). They need to account for kids like me. If i had to reset before i started the assignment id take an F insted of having to rember the death of my friend and my animal attack. Its bulls**t.

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminwolf View Post
    even if i am not the norm (im in most casses are not). They need to account for kids like me. If i had to reset before i started the assignment id take an F insted of having to rember the death of my friend and my animal attack. Its bulls**t.
    These are made with the average student in mind. If people need to take into account EVERY POSSIBLE occurrence, then nothing would ever get done. Yes, it sucks that you remember that, but expecting people to have foreseen this is naive.

Your right Zephiel. I just lost my temper at something that couldnt of been thought of.

Perhaps you could take it online at home, so you can cope with the memories without people seeing you break down. That's why I took personal fitness online. Hell, I had to get a psychologist's note and everything JUST so they would let me. Oh, the upsides of being addicted to SSRIs and having body image issues. (I use sarcasm a lot, just FYI.) I was subjected to some... not so nice stuff back when I was a wee lass, including abuse at the hands of both my father and the school system. (I feel that we can be open about these things, y'know? I mean, nobody judges you here unless you use memes or, goodness forbid, critique the site.) But, yeah, talk to a therapist about it, preferably not a school one... because they work for the fucked up education system.

This sounds rather bizarre. Our school district has a class with a name something like 'Life Skills', but it has more to do with practical skills needed to get along in everyday life, things like buying a car, renting an apartment, comparison shopping, reading nutrition labels, etc. None of this psychobabble.

I don't think its a graduation requirement, though. They steer kids into it who seem like they might struggle when they get out on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    This sounds rather bizarre. Our school district has a class with a name something like 'Life Skills', but it has more to do with practical skills needed to get along in everyday life, things like buying a car, renting an apartment, comparison shopping, reading nutrition labels, etc. None of this psychobabble.

I don't think its a graduation requirement, though. They steer kids into it who seem like they might struggle when they get out on their own.
    We have that... it's a subset of the Spec. Ed. program for people who can function enough to live alone, but will have lots of difficulty without being educated about every minor aspect.