Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In need of a new car

Default In need of a new car

Since mine was destroyed in a crash the other day I am in need of another car, so this is what I was thinking of getting.

I am thinking of buying a used 1998 deville. My 95 lesabre was totaled in a reck so I am car shopping right now. I am 18 years old and will be doing mainly highway driving. I just want to get some info on these cars stuff like:

Repairs(how frequent, what is the most problematic part on this car, and how expensive is it to fix these)

Insurance(are these expensive to insure)

Are repairs that are needed easy to do them your self?

And just comments and concerns about this car over all. This will be my first Cadillac, so I just want to get some info on it.

Out of curiosity I googled for this car, and all I can say is WOW - that's a proper road barge!

When I was your age I had one of these;

And the first day I had it, I crashed it into my mum's garage!

I'm being nosey now but may I ask, why such a huge, gas guzzling car?
    I'm afraid I've never been able to understand why cars are some enormous in the US...

Just a question before I help out a little more. Are you absolutely sure you want a Cadillac? Nothing wrong, just in case because I have a few other recommendations.

I say stick with Buick. The 3800 motor just rocks. My first car was an '88 Park Avenue and the one that replaced it was/is a '96 Park Avenue. Cadillac is a nice car, but they will cost you more when they need to be repaired. The engine and parts in a Buick are used on several other GM models, so parts are more numerous in quantity made, this is not the case for Cadillac.

acorn

From what I've heard (mind it is only hearsay) Cadillac's are like BMW's.
    You do not need to know where the gas stations are, Cadillac's will automatically pull in on to the forecourt.

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    From what I've heard (mind it is only hearsay) Cadillac's are like BMW's.
    You do not need to know where the gas stations are, Cadillac's will automatically pull in on to the forecourt.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisb View Post
    I'm being nosey now but may I ask, why such a huge, gas guzzling car?
    I'm afraid I've never been able to understand why cars are some enormous in the US...
    I have no idea. But I am definitely in the minority on this question. The ones that annoy me most are the people that drive ginourmous pickup trucks with 5.7L engines, that are positively glistening because they've never actually been used to haul stuff, with a "Support the Troops" bumper sticker on the back...

Oh, and if that were true about all BMWs, they wouldn't build one that gets 70mpg, would they?

Try going to the library and looking it up in Consumer Reports. While the current car issue won't cover one that old, an edition from a few years back might, and the library might have an edition that old on hand. There is a "Used Cars" section in the yearly auto edition, and it will answer many of the questions you have.

The advice I can offer on the caddy is avoid anything that is front wheel drive and has a V8. My grandmother had one, and it was a POS. That being said, she currently drives a 2005 STS and its a really nice car.

To dcviper...uhm... bite me bro I drive a ginourmous pickup truck and mine as a 5.9L engine I nolonger tow things with it regularly, so it is now a daily driver, but I'm not getting rid of it.

All that being said, bigger vehicles tend to be a bit safer than the tiny beer can sized Prius, Jetta (poking a bit of fun at dcviper), Yaris, Smart, etc. The other side of that coin is you have to be a little more careful since you can do far more damage with a big car. Whatever you decide, enjoy

Well I would like either a buick or cadillac. I loved my buick but trying to find one that has only 50k on it with leather like mine is very difficult, but if anyone else has suggestions for a car, please let me know.