Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disturbing movies / books / music / video games?

Default Disturbing movies / books / music / video games?

Yeah, this thread is all about the times you dipped into something and got seriously disturbed for some time afterwards.

The last movie I saw that I thought was seriously disturbing was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but the single most disturbing move I ever watched is Salo - The 120 Days of Sodom. The final scenes in that film gave me nightmares for weeks after I finished watching it for the first time, and I was 21 at that time.

The first film that gave me nightmares was The Killing Fields - and I was four, and I happened to walk in on my parents watching it right about the scene where the guy is stumbling through the field that is littered with rotting human corpses. Yikes!

I used to be very disturbed when I read Stephen King books, but I probably should not have been reading those when I was 9. About that same age, I was also disturbed by a Beatles song, of all things. Actually, a couple - Run For Your Life and Happiness is a Warm Gun. Perhaps then I should have been happy my mother did not let me purchase those Venom LPs I wanted at the time if that was all it took to disturb me, but ah, well. :-)

The only video games that made me go "whoa!" with disturbance have been Limbo and Resident Evil - Code Veronica - and with the latter, it was only with one moment when the heroine got her head crushed like a melon in an infected's fist, and I thought that was particuarly icky. Heh.

Most of the stuff that disturbed me years ago no longer disturbs me nearly as much these days. That must mean I am getting jaded. Or maybe it just means I know recognize that songs and special effects did not hurt anybody that was involved in them.

Was anybody else here ever seriously disturbed by things in pop culture at some point in his or her life?

Silly and frivilous thread, I know.

I have to back you up on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Both the book and (especially) the movie have some truly chilling scenes.

Its still a great movie/book, tough.

I usually avoid horror book/movies/games, as I am pretty much a complete wuss when it comes to them. I do remember being disturbed by the ending of The Golden Compas
    when I first read it as a 10 (or maybe it was 11) year old, tough.

The remake of The Wicker Man

I'm disturbed at how they could massacre a wonderful film like that and horrified at why Nicholas Cage is in it

the best bit was

Geez, what was I thinking? I made this thread and in the initial post, I mentioned nothing of any of the films by Michael Haneke. He has yet to make a film that is NOT seriously disturbing and provocative.

As far as the remake of The Wicker Man goes, you can't blame Nicholas Cage for that. Cage does an excellent job when he is given excellent material to work with. He's just acting the way the director told him to in most of the films he is in.

Butterfly Mage

The most disturbing book I read was "The Sleep of Stone". It wasn't particularly violent, but the end of the book was about as life-affirming as a kick in the crotch.

The most disturbing movie I saw was "The Ring". I can't watch movies that involve child abuse, but my spouse snuck that one on me. The movie also used a bunch of trigger-words that really screwed me up for about a week.

The most disturbing movie I seen is Requiem For a Dream, and I been watch The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. even though I haven't got up to the rape parts I don't think it would affect me that much.

I saw the original Poltergeist when I was like 7 and it ruined me. I still can't watch that movie, even though it shouldn't be that bad.

That movie seriously freaked me out.

I'm a big horror movie fan so I've seen plenty of disturbing movies, though not any one single one that I can recall that truly got to me. I'm sure there's a few. Ichi the Killer, though not exactly a horror movie, was certainly disturbing in certain parts, but it made up for it with the truly comical gore. Though I have to say, just the concept behind The Human Centipede - and the trailer - disturbs me greatly.

The first time I read The Amityville Horror, it really freaked me out.

Also, there is a particular song by The Mamas and the Papas that I heard one time while I was stoned and it completely disturbed me to the core. I don't know what song it was, or why I freaked out so badly - probably the drugs - but I can't listen to that song any more.

I recently just watch Reservoir Dogs. Now that is a pretty disturbing movie (well it should be since it was directed by Quentin Tarantino). I would say that is probably on par with the amazing movie Pulp Fiction. I mean it is pretty disgusting when that cop gets his ear chopped off, I'm not going to lie. And there is a LOT of blood in the movie.

In 1967 I saw a war movie, I can't remember the title for decades of trying, that still hunts me sometimes. A flyer downed and injured behind enemy lines helped by a local woman hunted by Nazi troops. It took place in dry country, high desert Greece or Italy and there was hiding of bloody bandages. 43 years later I still need to see it again to resolve the nightmares that come.
    If you know the title let me know!