Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow it's true... JPN Devs are really lacking this gen....

Default Wow it's true... JPN Devs are really lacking this gen....

Hey Japan, Wake Up Before It's Too Late

I can see where this guy is coming from after analyzing my library of games this gen. I see that most GOTY's are Western Developed games. Some of the most innovative games this gen IMO are Fallout 3 Mass Effect, Borderlands,etc. Essentially the Shooter RPG. Also from there we have LBP which is one hell of an amazing game Much better then NSMBW and just in general Western Devs are handing JPN's devs asses. I'm amazed by this really.... I'm not saying Japan is releasing crap... I'm just saying the west is doing much much better in terms of innovation. JPN's seems to be rehashing many of the same plots, theme's gameplay etc. I mean Look at FF13! That thing came out to be a pile of crap gameplay wise. Great polish just poor execution. But we have a game like Fallout 3 with what I perceive as poor polish but it's 50 times better and more fun then FF13.... That just one of the many things I've noticed....

GaashaHuzzah

My response to this is the Bungie franchise, Halo.

The ultimate filler, the very bane of true gamers everywhere.

For every Persona 3 FES Japan develops, there's 400 Halo clones America craps out in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by GaashaHuzzah View Post
    My response to this is the Bungie franchise, Halo.

The ultimate filler, the very bane of true gamers everywhere.

For every Persona 3 FES Japan develops, there's 400 Halo clones America craps out in a week.
    But... Halo is good... The only bad one is Halo3... You response should be Call of Duty. One every year? Really?

GaashaHuzzah

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    But... Halo is good... The only bad one is Halo3... You response should be Call of Duty. One every year? Really?
    Sigh.

Well look at the developers. Call of Duty 2, 4 and Modern Warfare 2 were done by Infinity Ward and were only released every OTHER year. Call of Duty is more like two franchises under one name, tbh.

Good side-note: How many amazing games are made in Japan and never get released to the west? Yeah, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by GaashaHuzzah View Post
    Sigh.
    Halo 1 & 2 are good games. But you cannot compare what is Persona 3FES to what Halo is, Same way you can't compare Street Fighter to Little Big Planet. Completely different genre. Halo is popular, Popular things always gain hate. And well you seem one to hate it. If you want to say Halo 3 sucks be my guest. It's an atrocity. But Halo 1 & 2 are very fun games in their own right. ODST is also a blast. But again these games are not to be compared to RPG's. Which is a comparison that you seem to have made. A more fair comparison would be Halo 2 to Half Life 2 or Doom 3. Ya know? Game within the same Genre. Overall Halo is a very fun game, might not be the best in the world and it isn't, but it's very fun to play and remains very influential. I also like the story line but that's another opinion of mine. Overall Halo is Good. Just as Persona 3 is good. Different games ya know? I enjoy both. Halo 3 is crap tough.... I'm not blinded by fanboyism I just speak my opinion and like what I like. among them it's JRPG's currently playing Persona 1 (PSP) and I love the persona Series. So yeah.... Don't be sighin or whatever because someone like a game you don't. People love Half Life 2... I hate it. I played it to hell and I just don't like what the game offers. sure it's good but I don't like it. Doesn't mean it's a bad game. Just not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    Well look at the developers. Call of Duty 2, 4 and Modern Warfare 2 were done by Infinity Ward and were only released every OTHER year. Call of Duty is more like two franchises under one name, tbh.

Good side-note: How many amazing games are made in Japan and never get released to the west? Yeah, exactly.
    That's up for debate. I mean some JPN games like Namco X Capcom should be released here.. but others.... Like those dating sims should stay put.... Just an opinion really tough.... and I do agree more like two franchises under one name but well why still a new title every two years is still a bit much.

ODST is also a blast. I also like the story line but that's another opinion of mine. Overall Halo is Good. Halo 3 is crap tough....
    Agreed. Although I can say now that I'm not even a huge fan of video games that much at all...

GaashaHuzzah

Halo 1 & 2 are good games. But you cannot compare what is Persona 3FES to what Halo is, Same way you can't compare Street Fighter to Little Big Planet. Completely different genre. Halo is popular, Popular things always gain hate. And well you seem one to hate it. If you want to say Halo 3 sucks be my guest. It's an atrocity. But Halo 1 & 2 are very fun games in their own right. ODST is also a blast. But again these games are not to be compared to RPG's. Which is a comparison that you seem to have made. A more fair comparison would be Halo 2 to Half Life 2 or Doom 3. Ya know? Game within the same Genre. Overall Halo is a very fun game, might not be the best in the world and it isn't, but it's very fun to play and remains very influential. I also like the story line but that's another opinion of mine. Overall Halo is Good. Just as Persona 3 is good. Different games ya know? I enjoy both. Halo 3 is crap tough.... I'm not blinded by fanboyism I just speak my opinion and like what I like. among them it's JRPG's currently playing Persona 1 (PSP) and I love the persona Series. So yeah.... Don't be sighin or whatever because someone like a game you don't. People love Half Life 2... I hate it. I played it to hell and I just don't like what the game offers. sure it's good but I don't like it. Doesn't mean it's a bad game. Just not my cup of tea.
    Gotcha, I'm not allowed to judge gaming on my own merits, but you are.

Overall Halo is a very fun game, might not be the best in the world and it isn't, but it's very fun to play and remains very influential. I also like the story line but that's another opinion of mine. Overall Halo is Good.
    Halo has okay gameplay. The story, however, is shallower than a newborn's bath. I find the lack of a story boring, so without the story I'm just going through the motions of playing a game, but my mind is thinking of other things. I play games to keep myself occupied. If I need to think of other things while I'm playing something meant to distract me, then they screwed up.

People love Half Life 2... I hate it. I played it to hell and I just don't like what the game offers. sure it's good but I don't like it. Doesn't mean it's a bad game. Just not my cup of tea.
    The opposite of Halo in so many ways. There is health, there are puzzles (very simple ones, but they're there), an inventory of guns you use, rather than using whatever two you have on you (forcing most guns to be use-able at ANY point in the campaign in Halo, rather than needing to choose wisely for the current situation). Most importantly, the story is told WHILE you play. You also need to actually pay attention. It's not as simple as "oh, video of giant ring planet thing blowing up. That must be bad". You need to actually figure out and make inferences based on how characters react about what's going on. Sometimes you need to find stuff written somewhere. The point is, you are actively following a storyline. The only "story" in Halo is in the video clips in between missions. You could completely take those out, and most Halo players wouldn't really care.

That's up for debate. I mean some JPN games like Namco X Capcom should be released here.. but others.... Like those dating sims should stay put.... Just an opinion really tough.... and I do agree more like two franchises under one name but well why still a new title every two years is still a bit much.
    An example of a game: Tales of Vesperia. It WAS released for the Xbox 360, but it wasn't finished. Not all the voice acting was done, it has two less characters, there are less titles and costumes, as well as less side-quests. Eventually a PS3 version was released that had Flynn, a magic knight (biggest complaint being that ToV was missing one) now as a playable character for large parts of the game, as well as new levels of overlimit. That copy of the game is staying in Japan for some stupid reason. Hell, I'd pay full price for a new copy of this game if it had these added features. (I'd rebuy the game just to use Flynn, since magic knight is the most fun).

People don't hate things because they're popular. Halo is an extremely shallow franchise, and doesn't deserve the perfect scores that get thrown at them. Outside of multiplayer, Halo isn't that great a game. Reviewers give it perfect scores with comments like "sure it's ONLY[...]", and "it can't do[...]", then it'll say "but it[...]". It is not perfect if you need to justify it's flaws. That's why I dislike Halo. Not because it is inherently bad, but because it gets played up to be so much better than it actually is, so when I play it I feel like I'm being ripped off.

i guess i've been playing the wrong games then *yawn*

also TLR, use more spaces, and use empty alineas in between yer lines, it makes it easier to read, and less dull and boring, and sounding less like some crappy milked out franchises would be supposedly superior to japanese games,
    (calling halo or general cod series "games" would be an insult for Gamers-Games like those from iD Software, or from some of the Quality and innovative stuff from Valve,
    mostly due to the lack of innovation in such games) that mostly do not make it overseas, because they games are too weirded out