Thread: Thir13en Ghosts

Default Thir13en Ghosts

Anyone seen this flick? It is the 2001 Dark Castle Productions remake of the classic 13 Ghosts from the visionary William Castle.

Each ghost is the embodiment of some archetype. The ghost's back stories are detailed in the special features section, and there are two that I think would stand out to those of us here; The Great Child and The Dire Mother - The Dire Mother is the ghost of Margaret Shelburne, who was an attraction in a carnival due to her being only three feet tall. She was raped by the "Tall Man," another carnival freak. Her son, Harold (the Great Child), was born as a result of that rape; he eventually weighed over 300 pounds (136 kg). Harold, spoiled, was raised as his mother's protector and kept a child-like mindset, to the point that he wore diapers his entire life. One day some of the carnival employees decided to play a little practical joke on Harold, and kidnapped his mother. Enraged, he set out to look for her, but when he caught up with the culprits, he found that his mother had accidentally suffocated to death in the bag that she was kept in. Harold killed the kidnappers with an ax, keeping their remains and displaying them for paying customers. Later, when the owner of the carnival found out what Harold had done, he ordered a mob of people to tear Harold apart. Their ghosts are always together, and Harold still wields the ax and wears a bib stained with food that his mother has spoon-fed to him.

When I watched this film for the first time I cringed at the reaction of revulsion and disgust that came from those with whom I was watching when we watched the back stories and the narrator mention his being in diapers his entire life.

I cringe in revulsion and disgust at the fact that the dude wore diapers and was treated like a baby his whole life. I did watch this movie (personally, I didn't think it was that great), and "Harold" freaked me out.

I saw it a looong while ago.
    Can't remember much, but I remember thinking it was okay.
    Need to watch it again tho.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMonster View Post
    I cringe in revulsion and disgust at the fact that the dude wore diapers and was treated like a baby his whole life. I did watch this movie (personally, I didn't think it was that great), and "Harold" freaked me out.
    I liked it. I think Matthew Lillard is a highly under rated actor (LOVED him in SLC Punk).

Yes, the thought of that life is horrific, that notwithstanding, the part of me that finds it fascinating cringed at how vocal they were about their revulsion.

I prefer the 13 ghosts of scooby doo, which Ironically thir13en ghosts has Matthew Lillard in it. Although he was pretty damn good in finder's fee.

Yes. I liked that show. I am a HUGE Vincent Price fan, and it is a long term project of mine to have all of Price's work on DVD. I have a nice chunk of it, but the man had a LONG career, so the collection is nowhere near complete.