Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diapers for Surgery?

Default Diapers for Surgery?

I am watching a movie from the 2008 collection of the Ghost House Underground horror films called "No Man's Land: The Rise of Reeker". There is a scene in which a guy sees a guy in a hospital gown and a diaper. A few minutes later another character sees the guy in the diaper. The second character is a doctor, and comments that she had performed surgery on this man, and he died on the table. So I am wondering......... Do they make one wear a diaper in surgery? It's been more than 20 years since I last went under the knife, so I don't remember, and I am not inclined to look this up myself as I have a phobia of medical imagery.

Having had a number of surgeries to repair a smashed leg, I can tell you that they don't put a diaper on you. They just catheterize you. The first surgery to put the leg back together took about six hours, and a couple of the other ones took several hours as well. Every time I woke up with a catheter.

They don't normally put you in diapers, but I did wear diapers when I went under.

This was for surgery on the internal part of my ear. General anesthetic, but in and out the same day. The first time, I didn't know what to expect. I called ahead of time and talked to the surgery coordinator, told her I normally wear at night for bedwetting, and should I wear for surgery? She didn't seem to know, and told me to bring my "things", and discuss it when I got there. That's what I didn't want to do- too embarrassing. So I ended up wearing an Abena and plain white plastic pants under my nylon running pants (they tell you to wear loose comfortable clothing) on the day of surgery.

When I got there, they told me to take "everything" off and change into the little gown, and get into the bed. After that, they ask you a million questions, and during that, I told them "I just left my diaper on, if that's okay..." Like assuming they should have it there in my records that I wear diapers. They didn't even blink but asked me if I had any "skin breakdown" and some related questions. Later they brought in some "extra pads" as they called them and asked me if I needed to change.

Later the hot young male anesthesiologist came in and listened to my heart and lungs. I had to sit up and bend forward as he listened down my back, so I know he saw the diaper and plastic pants, but didn't say anything.

The second ear surgery was basically the same experience.

Some of it is up to the hospital. Catheters are actually the lazy way for them, no diaper to change. But not useful for #2 of course. Also depends on the length of time you're expected to be under, both for the operation and the recovery.

AND whether they want you up and walking to the potty right after surgery. And men are more work to catheterize. Catheters also carry a nonzero risk of infection and complications that a diaper avoids. So many variables, hard to guess what you're going to get. Call ahead. Odds are if you show up already in a diaper and there aren't catheter-preferring circumstances, they're going to think "less work for ME" and leave you padded. Bottom line is they'd prefer you not piss on the operating room bed.

There are no odd questions, only us odd members. Yes, they catheterize you rather than put a diaper on you, which brings up an interesting question. Why then, did they have this guy, in the movie, wearing a diaper? Sounds like the director is a bit kinky. Or maybe he's the odd one!

I wonder then if that (writing a character in a diaper in a situation that seems as though it makes sense that he be diapered, but when in reality it would not be done) is anything telling on the part of the writer, or am I reading into it too much?

Butterfly Mage

Well... I suppose a catheter wouldn't be too handy if the person has fecal incontinence. My aunt is a nurse and she says that catheters are almost always used during surgeries.

I've only gone under for short surgeries (4 hours tops), and I've never been catheterized or diapered for them. Come to think of it, I wasn't allowed to eat/drink anything for about 12 hours prior to surgery, so... it just wasn't necessary.

I've always wondered why catheterization is preferred over diapers. It makes sense if for some reason the they need to take urine samples, but otherwise it seems like catheters have a higher likelihood of breeding infection compared to diapers. They also sound a LOT more uncomfortable. Maybe it's just the stigma associated with diapers?

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    I've only gone under for short surgeries (4 hours tops), and I've never been catheterized or diapered for them. Come to think of it, I wasn't allowed to eat/drink anything for about 12 hours prior to surgery, so... it just wasn't necessary.

I've always wondered why catheterization is preferred over diapers. It makes sense if for some reason the they need to take urine samples, but otherwise it seems like catheters have a higher likelihood of breeding infection compared to diapers. They also sound a LOT more uncomfortable. Maybe it's just the stigma associated with diapers?
    It's a question of costs, available resources, and convenience. In an era when you're lucky to have more than one nurse per floor of a hospital (even at well-respected good metro area hospitals), they simply cannot afford to have that poor overworked nurse changing diapers all the time. Diapers cost the hospital money, nurses' time, and present a biohazard issue on that large of a scale that I'm sure they'd rather not deal with. A catheter is a one-shot insertion and it takes only a few seconds for the nurse to dump the collection device when they're in checking you on their rounds.

Sucks for diaper lovers, but entirely understandable from the hospital's perspective. And truth be told, after I got hit by the car and was in the hospital for four days with a smashed leg, I frankly was in no state of mind to even want to be in diapers, let alone have them changed or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    It's a question of costs, available resources, and convenience. In an era when you're lucky to have more than one nurse per floor of a hospital (even at well-respected good metro area hospitals), they simply cannot afford to have that poor overworked nurse changing diapers all the time. Diapers cost the hospital money, nurses' time, and present a biohazard issue on that large of a scale that I'm sure they'd rather not deal with. A catheter is a one-shot insertion and it takes only a few seconds for the nurse to dump the collection device when they're in checking you on their rounds.
    OK, in that light, catheters make sense. I didn't know that they were that quick/easy to change.