Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying for a friends ticket?

Default Paying for a friends ticket?

alright, so, story. my friend came over because my GF broke up with me, and we were just hanging out playing CSS. well, about 11pm, my friend (girl) asked if she could come over, and so i said sure. well, she and 2 other girls came over, so we went outside to not wake up my parents. we hung out talked, listened to music, but then we went inside casue it was cold. we stayed inside until about 3, when they said that they need to get back. well, my friend jordan, was the only one with a car

so, they asked him to drive them home, which was about 2 miles away, and he said no, he can't risk it (16) they then talked him into it, and did the girl, pretty please? so he finally gave in. i said "i might as well come too" and he said "yea man if you want" so i said sure.

so, we get up the street, about to make our first left, and a cop pulls behind us and flashes his lights. we all know we're screwed, so we start calling parents. the cop wrote him up for curfew, and driving with 1 person in the car.

so, one of the girls says that we'll pay for it, and he's like cool. he just got the ticket today, and it's $280 dollars. he asked me for the money, but i told him, like, why do i need to pay? ill help, but i dont see why i need to pay anything. he then got all pissy and hung up.

do i need to pay? i know it's being a good friend, but if i didn't go they would've gotten pulled over anyway (brake light was out) and now he's trying to get $70 from me, and im really stressing for money right now. thanks for any advice...

ps. he doesn't want to pay any of it. he said, when he called me up, it's $280, so that's $70 for each of you...

i dont feel its your responsibility....your friend was the driver your friend got the ticket...you could be nice and help but you shouldnt have to....you mentioned you are having financial difficulties and thats even more of a reason to keep your money. maybe if you want to and can you can offer something smaller like 25.00 or?

he made the choice to take them home..he got a ticket and now he has to deal with it...if he said no and stuck with his decision then the girls may have had to find another way home but he wouldnt be looking at a 280 dollar ticket....you didnt hold a gun to his head....he made the choice
    Last edited by waslost1234abc; 24-Aug-2010 at 09:03. Reason: added opinion

BernardFx

It was his desicion. Plus, the ticket only goes in this case to the driver, so, why should you pay? It was his choice to abide the law, and could've easily said that he had a curfew, but instead, took the risk. It was his car, therefore, his responsability.

As for saying no, you can say you're short of money, and the reason above.

yea, but he's probably my only true friend. i guess ill offer something smaller to help, like 25. thanks, i dont feel like such a bad person now haha

You wanted to go with him so you are just as guilty as him.

Oh lets go kill someone and you determine who is actually going to be the 'one'. He/She gets caught - guess what the rest of you go to jail too for being an accomplice.

You are just a guilty as your friend for wanting to take part in the crime. Also the rest of you need to come forward and help cover the increase in his insurance premium for the next couple years. You do or take part in the crime then it is time to own up.

As far as the broken taillight - you all knew it was broken so do not play dumb. It is always an excuse for the police to pull you over and have just cause to inspect the drivers age. He would have found another reason if it was not for the light.

I'd say you're all equally responsible in an ethical sense, him included. No reason he shouldn't have to pay. Divided five ways, that's $56. I understand you were essentially dead weight in this but apparently you were breaking curfew (curfews make my teeth grind but while it's the law you're stuck with it) and contributing to a situation of driving with more people in the car than he is allowed to be with. In a legal sense, clearly he's the one at fault and it's all on him but this is one of those things that I think supersedes just the legal responsibility. Sorry about that. Next time don't get involved in things you know to be illegal and potentially costly?

Quote Originally Posted by Melancholy View Post
    alright, so, story. my friend came over because my GF broke up with me, and we were just hanging out playing CSS. well, about 11pm, my friend (girl) asked if she could come over, and so i said sure. well, she and 2 other girls came over, so we went outside to not wake up my parents. we hung out talked, listened to music, but then we went inside casue it was cold. we stayed inside until about 3, when they said that they need to get back. well, my friend jordan, was the only one with a car

so, they asked him to drive them home, which was about 2 miles away, and he said no, he can't risk it (16) they then talked him into it, and did the girl, pretty please? so he finally gave in. i said "i might as well come too" and he said "yea man if you want" so i said sure.

so, we get up the street, about to make our first left, and a cop pulls behind us and flashes his lights. we all know we're screwed, so we start calling parents. the cop wrote him up for curfew, and driving with 1 person in the car.

so, one of the girls says that we'll pay for it, and he's like cool. he just got the ticket today, and it's $280 dollars. he asked me for the money, but i told him, like, why do i need to pay? ill help, but i dont see why i need to pay anything. he then got all pissy and hung up.

do i need to pay? i know it's being a good friend, but if i didn't go they would've gotten pulled over anyway (brake light was out) and now he's trying to get $70 from me, and im really stressing for money right now. thanks for any advice...

ps. he doesn't want to pay any of it. he said, when he called me up, it's $280, so that's $70 for each of you...
    He chose to get in the car and operate it after curfew (and, I gather, without a full license, but a permit).

This is his problem and a good lesson for the future in responsibility. If he expects you guys to pay for this ticket, he's a doofus and a fool. Fine at sixteen, I suppose, but these qualities do not make for long-term friends and friendships.

i would say that just because 'they' talked him into it and he agreed knowing it was risky he still made the choice. you went along so so yeah to make it 'fair' everyone is guilty - including him. for him not to want to pay anything is wrong because he is the one who 'said ok'. he needs to accept the responsibility for his decision to. if he stands by his feeling of not wanting to pay for any of it then he's not accepting his part of the responsibility and not being a good friend also. when it comes down to it - then he is actually fully responsible because it was his car and his decision to take the risk. everyone else helping is just being good friends. just my 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    He chose to get in the car and operate it after curfew (and, I gather, without a full license, but a permit).

This is his problem and a good lesson for the future in responsibility. If he expects you guys to pay for this ticket, he's a doofus and a fool. Fine at sixteen, I suppose, but these qualities do not make for long-term friends and friendships.
    I wanted to offer a postscript to my response in light of yours. I still don't think we'll agree but I didn't want what I said to look like some absolute. Legally, you're right. No dispute whatsoever. I do think there's the ethical responsibility on the part of those involved to assist in this particular case but given that the ultimate responsibility is his, I think he is in no position whatsoever to ask for it, so fault points there. He should assume he pays for everything but be pleasantly surprised when people offer to assist. I also do not presume to say that every passenger is automatically responsible in any sense for moving or other violations. I recently received a parking ticket while out driving friends and they bore no responsibility whatsoever for my screw-up. I knew I was late and played the odds that no one would be as efficient as they were. I wouldn't dream of taking money from anyone else under that circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post

This is his problem and a good lesson for the future in responsibility.
    This. He chose to operate it even though he knew he shouldn't have done so meaning he should be prepared to face the consequences of his own actions. Had he put his foot down and not driven he would not be in this situation. It will teach him a valuble lesson.