Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will The New Asus EEE PC Be Worth It?

Default Will The New Asus EEE PC Be Worth It?

i've been going back and forth on this and i'm looking for a laptop i can dj and make music with mostly (gaming will either be console only or take a very back seat).
    i've been looking at the asus eee pc (either the one for $399 or the new one coming out with touch screen capabilites, bluetooth, and the intel atom chip for between $500-$650) or an open boxed laptop with a dedicated video card.
    on this laptop i'm going to be running a stripped, n-lite'd version of windows xp, FLstudio, and some dj software (either deckadance or djdecks).
    i need help, but which one should i get?
    should i go with the super portable 8" screen asus or the 15" powerhouse (well, to me anyway...)?

Unless you do some serious modifications it's not going to get you anywhere. That being said if your willing to do it, I've heard the results are pretty good.

well that was my intention. i've gone over several posts stating that the overclocking of the chip from 650mhz (roughly) to 1147mhz with either the bios or a program is easy and stable.
    but another thing:
    do computers actually benefit more from dual cores or higher clock speeds better?
    i'm looking at several things in the future for the eee pc, like 2Gb ram, 10400mA battery, etc. but would the cuteness and portability justify that over an open box with a good video card in it? (sorry for being repetitive, i'm just very excited about this)

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    do computers actually benefit more from dual cores or higher clock speeds better?
    Yes, very. My teacher got a labtop its like 1.80 GHz dual core with 1 GB of ram and a Nvidia 7000 GT or something. Some how the thing runs vista with a gig of ram. I have no idea how that works. Either way I got to mess around with it today to show her the ropes of it. Vista is pretty cool finally being able to use it but I see no reason to buy vista for my current PC.

I also planed on getting a Asus EEE pc myself for basic work and web surfing. But now I am not so sure.

I don't like the EEE PC too much, for the simple fact that you can get a fully-featured laptop for roughly $100 more, and for that extra $100, you get a lot more features.

I'm sorry, but I can easily use 12GB of hard drive storage in a day without trying too hard.

Plus, I am not ever touching Asus again. Every single one of my motherboards have died, and technical support is non-existent (except with the EEE PC).

well it's not there anymore, but i constantly see open box or refurbished items in this section of newegg (Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!)

crap, the msi wind is coming out on june 3rd, same day as the new asus eee 901 with the touchscreen and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Yes, very. My teacher got a labtop its like 1.80 GHz dual core with 1 GB of ram and a Nvidia 7000 GT or something. Some how the thing runs vista with a gig of ram. I have no idea how that works. Either way I got to mess around with it today to show her the ropes of it. Vista is pretty cool finally being able to use it but I see no reason to buy vista for my current PC.

I also planed on getting a Asus EEE pc myself for basic work and web surfing. But now I am not so sure.
    Vista can run just fine on half a GB of RAM. 1GB is more than ample.

redtails

Unless you seriously look for a laptop computer without an operating system, you will get a messed up sytem because ALL modern laptops are loaded up with a bunch of features (aka the sound and the video card if they're not dedicated) that only work with the preinstalled drivers that were installed on vista by the factory. I suggest you take this into account, pay a little more and you'll get an awesome machine with a dedicated graphics card. As you're a DJ, creative sells their xi-fi sound card as an expresscard for laptops, it's not that expensive, you should take a look at it as well
    Last edited by redtails; 22-May-2008 at 22:07. Reason: oh.. excuse me for the vulgar word

Quote Originally Posted by Sawaa View Post
    Confirmed from personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawaa View Post
    Yes, but how well does it run?