Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: By the time I'm 30, I will involuntarily be incontinent...

Default By the time I'm 30, I will involuntarily be incontinent...

A few weeks ago my Urologist told me due to my case with Interstitial Cystitis, that there is a very high probability that I will become incontinent by the time I am 30. Which I was so excited about then, since I would have an excuse to wear diapers.

But now thinking about it, it kinda sucks. I mean I see all the good points of it, seeing as how I am a TeenBaby...but I still feel kinda shocked that this could happen so soon.

Most people with IC get it after giving birth, or in their late 30s-40s. Me, I was diagnosed at 15, but was told since I was 7 that there was a high chance that I had it even then. Since the diagnosis is so sketchy though they took their time diagnosing me, although I still had to have countless surgeries before the diagnosis was finalized.

...I don't know, I need some support or possible guidance about this. It could, in fact, not happen but I've got my brain set on that it will now.

Boo me, I'm being such a grump.

(I'm going to watch NickJr to calm down now, so thanks to all that do reply!)

If you're over 16, get a good psychologist. It helps to have someone just to listen.

I'm unsure how that would help me personally, so could you please explain?

Thank you so much for the information though!

When I was 14, I walked out in front of a car and both bones in my leg were badly broken. I was told that by the time I was 30, I would have trouble walking. This summer at age 62 I was out on the bike trail putting in 15 miles a day. I walk all over the school doing my job and still run. What I'm saying is that diagnosis don't always work out as predicted. Maybe it will, but no one really knows. If you do become incontinent, you will adjust. We have plenty of members on this site who have.

There are far worse things that can happen to you. My wife hasn't walked for 5 years, and the last 3 years has been on a kidney dialysis machine. Yet, we have learned to cope. As we get older, our bodies age and we can't do the things we did as a young person or a kid. It's a part of living and everyone goes through it to some degree. Don't waste your time worrying about it. Instead enjoy the health you now have, and embrace life. Every day is a gift.

Thank you so much, that made me feel a thousand times better!

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    When I was 14, I walked out in front of a car and both bones in my leg were badly broken. I was told that by the time I was 30, I would have trouble walking. This summer at age 62 I was out on the bike trail putting in 15 miles a day. I walk all over the school doing my job and still run. What I'm saying is that diagnosis don't always work out as predicted. Maybe it will, but no one really knows. If you do become incontinent, you will adjust. We have plenty of members on this site who have.

There are far worse things that can happen to you. My wife hasn't walked for 5 years, and the last 3 years has been on a kidney dialysis machine. Yet, we have learned to cope. As we get older, our bodies age and we can't do the things we did as a young person or a kid. It's a part of living and everyone goes through it to some degree. Don't waste your time worrying about it. Instead enjoy the health you now have, and embrace life. Every day is a gift.
    I don't have incontinence issues, but that makes me feel better about my life as a whole. As for the OP, you will indeed learn to adjust, at least you are AB, it'd be worse otherwise. much worse.

You know what? You need to live life day to day. You can't worry about "when you're 30" because you have no idea what's really in store for you then. New medications and procedures are being developed every day. Who knows?

And the thing is, if you LIKE wearing diapers... then why not use that very fact as a means to comfort yourself?

Thank you so much!!! Your right, I'm just being too pessimistic

Thanks again!! Take Care! :*

As a few others said: don't think about what would happen later, live your life day by day.

I've got this friend's father that was diagnosed with cancer. The doctor only gave the guy like 6 weeks left to live, so they asked the family if it was worth telling him and makes the only few days left a lot worse than if he didn't know. The family decided not telling him. The guy lived for 6 years!!! So, you never know what's going to happen and you don't always have to trust doctor's judgment!

As far as I am concerned, I've got Crohn's disease. At first, even if I used it as an excuse to wear diaper, I was totally shocked and depressed (looking on the web to get infos about the disease wasn't a good idea!). The strong medications didn't even help to get any better, I felt like trapped like this, thinking that I'll probably never get better, that by my 40's I'd probably already have a colostomy, or other delightful stuffs like that. After a year and a half, seeing no improvement, I decided to fight my way. No more medications, no more food restrictions (I've got a lot of food allergies too), no more embarrassing exams, no more appointments with my gastro enterologist,... And guess what, it didn't go worse, actually after a while I even got better! Yay! I know the Crohn is an on and off disease, so it might be just a remission, but anyway, I like to think it is because I wasn't depressed and focusing on the disease anymore.

Just to explain no one knows what will happen in the futur. Maybe you'll get incontinent, but maybe not. I like the second option a lot more and my advise would be you to focus on that one!
    Always look at the bright side of life and being optimisitic won't cure a disease, won't replace meds and doctors but I'm convicted that being pessimistic makes things worse!

I have to agree with Keenan on this, you should live day to day.
    Keep an eye on the future, but remember, the future is not carved in stone, it can change.