Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary choice...please help

Default Scary choice...please help

I can go back to high school I'm 19 and turn 20 in November should I ?

As a senior of course though. I have a GED but want to join the navy and either need college or high school degree and the school says i can still go should I? I don't have a lot of money my only other option is a crappy community college but They age thing can be a issue I'm so torn up right now.

No one has to know you are 19. It might be awkward but if it gets you into the navy why not? I didn't finish my undergraduate degree till I was 26 for various reasons. Sure, there where people as old as me at the college doing the same thing, but I was easily 6 years older than most of my fellow students. Most of them thought I was 18-19 and had no damn idea how old I was.

I went back to college when I was 52. Man, did I feel old and out of place, but I had clear goals in mind and I aced every class. I think it's your goal that's important so I would say go for it. Your fastest track would be high school for one year, I assume, and you would be off to the navy. But if you got a four year degree, you could go in as an officer. It's something to think about. Remember that if you don't have any money, you can get Pell Grants. Actually that's a very inexpensive route, so if that's what you want, go for it. When I was taking all those courses including a difficult math class, I printed a little sign from Power Point. In big letters it said, What Ever It Takes, and that's exactly what I did. I had to study 4 hours every night to get an A in pre-calculus. I met my goal.

I don't understand, what a "High school degree" is...?

My opinion is that you should go for a college degree, it will be better for you in the long run, and as dogboy said you can enter the Navy as an officer, so you will get paid more.

It depends on what he wants. If his end goal is just to go into the Navy then getting his diploma is probably the shortest route. On top of that after he does his service he will have access to a ton of welfare programs available to the ex military such as educational subsidies etc. Yes, you make more out of college as an officer, but you also are not just making less while you are in school, but gathering debt, so it isn't necessarily a net gain if his end goal is just the military right now.

Spearmint

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I went back to college when I was 52. Man, did I feel old and out of place, but I had clear goals in mind and I aced every class. I think it's your goal that's important so I would say go for it. Your fastest track would be high school for one year, I assume, and you would be off to the navy. But if you got a four year degree, you could go in as an officer. It's something to think about. Remember that if you don't have any money, you can get Pell Grants. Actually that's a very inexpensive route, so if that's what you want, go for it. When I was taking all those courses including a difficult math class, I printed a little sign from Power Point. In big letters it said, What Ever It Takes, and that's exactly what I did. I had to study 4 hours every night to get an A in pre-calculus. I met my goal.
    That is an amazing story. I'm going to print something like that off for all of the advanced stuff I'm taking this year. Thank you.

Legally I am still in high school.. though I haven't been to my school in over a year. My issue was a "little" thing called a senior project and totally being unprepared for it and just plain lazy. I'll agree with my old teachers and say the blame can go everywhere due to the situation I was in, but at the end of the day it all comes down to me.

seriously, I suggest doing it and perhaps you can make arrangements so you can only stay for like half a day or less and do the work from home. I'm not sure about joining the navy or anything, but if you do just be sure you really want to. My dad and his friends were in the navy, marines, army back in the 70's and it sure sounded like they had some hard times. Plus the Navy isn't really the safest branch to go into if that's what your thinking, none of them are asides for possibly air force and coast guard.

(For anyone wondering about my situation, my school district due to budget cuts and effects are scrapping the senior project. meaning I have done everything I needed to graduate IE. credits and exit exam.. now only if I had the balls to call my school up and proceed onwards. So yes, I know how embarrassed the OP feels.)

I would just say go for it because at the end of the day the people you meet in high school are invariant towards what lifestyle you proceed to do. Plus if it helps going into the Navy, then go for it because it is your choice and you should take each and every opportunity there is to make your goals in life easier and more accessible to obtain. Plus the age gap isn't that much considering half of seniors should already be 18.

If you're that taken with the idea of the Navy, getting the high school degree looks like the quickest and cheapest path to that. A high school diploma also looks better than a GED to a prospective employer (it just does), even at the low end of things, so double win. It may feel a little strange to start out but don't let it interfere with your goals. It's going to be one of the easier things you'll need to do in life.