Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: serious mac issue

Default serious mac issue

So. Got this iMac G3/350mhz 192mb Slot Loader at my house right now from my friend, im trying to fix this computer. right?

heres whats up :

when he first got it, I noticed it immediately went to the blinking folder icon.
    so, I got out the trusty Mac OS 10.2 disc (went to an iBook I owned for a while) and right off the bat, acted like it was going to install, but it went to the prohib-sign, I believe it was caused by the firmware not being updated, but im not sure. So, I got out my Mac OS 9.1 disc that went to ANOTHER iBook I owned for a while, I had used this 9.1 disc for 2 of my old iMac g3s (tray loaders, Rev. B and Rev. D), 1 of my PowerMacintosh G3 B+W (g3, 400mhz), and 1 of my PowerMacintosh G4 AGP (G4, 733mhz <didnt have it long, sold it for 100$ before I had it for a week, lol>)
    so, im fairly certain it isnt a picky disc, put it in here, and I got a floppy icon with a blinking question mark, mouse lights up, cursor appears, etc etc.
    opened OF and ran : Reset-nvram, Reset-all
    then pulled the iMac apart, and hit the PMU, clean slate. right?
    well, still does the same thing.
    I dont have any hard drives preloaded with a mac OS, and I dont have any spare drives I can attempt to try using.

What else should I try folks?

(dont tell me to buy a new computer, im fixing this so he can give it to his disabled sister for music, I've had this happen on a few chats I presented this on)

I don't see what the problem is because only PC's can crash, macs can't.

But really I don't have experience with macs, I won't say why but anyone with a standard amount of logic should be able to figure out why. Though when I have issues with my PC I google the problem and low and behold other people have had the same exact problem and finding the solution comes soon after that. However with Mac users, most would just take it back/send it back rather then fix it themselves since that's what apple is all about. Do everything for the costumer so they don't have to do it.

well, im fixing this for my friends, because apple stopped supporting the G3 before most of ADISC got out of high school. ( I mean seriously, does any company support stuff more than 10 years old?)

Try target disk mode. You might have not only a bad drive but a failed CD drive. Target disk mode will let you see if it can boot period.

Scour Google, 'fraid that's all I've got. There are a LOT of hits for 'mac blinking folder startup'. Here are a couple (some of the stuff on these you've already tried, but there seem to be a couple more options):

A flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac
    Mac OS 9 - Blinking Question Mark at Startup
    Mac Won't Start Up: Flashing Folder with Question Mark

Unfortunately, you might end up needing to find yourself a hard drive to preload OS9 on in order to fix this... Maybe borrow a drive from a friend, or get a cheap enclosure (Newegg.com - External Enclosure, External Hard Drive Enclosure, USB External Enclosure, Multimedia External Enclosure) for an old HD you have lying around?

If he has as many macs as he said he does all he needs is one with fire whire as long is this one has it as well. Target disk mode will let him boot the broken machine off of the harddrive of the working one. It is a feature I wish windows PC's had. It is cool because it lets you, say, boot off of your work laptops drive and use your workstation to do stuff. Pretty awesome since most peoples desktops are far more powerful. Granted it will be slower over fire wire, but if you have a lot of ram and firewire 800 it is pretty damn quick.

anyone know what the floppy icon with the question mark means? is it the same as the prohib-sign in osx?

goodnites2

It's probably a problem with the Hard drive, just try the links Tygoon found and you'll be on the right track. If it still fail, I suggest you boot with a live CD (Gparted) and reformat the Hard disk completely and then reinstall the partition with the Mac OS disks you have. The problem can also be related to the RAM but you are going to have the confirmation by trying to boot with a live CD.

P-S. The Floppy with the question mark simply means that the system finds no media to boot from.

Quote Originally Posted by frillyfoxy View Post
    If he has as many macs as he said he does all he needs is one with fire whire as long is this one has it as well. Target disk mode will let him boot the broken machine off of the harddrive of the working one. It is a feature I wish windows PC's had. It is cool because it lets you, say, boot off of your work laptops drive and use your workstation to do stuff. Pretty awesome since most peoples desktops are far more powerful. Granted it will be slower over fire wire, but if you have a lot of ram and firewire 800 it is pretty damn quick.
    Cool, I didn't know you could use an actual computer. Makes sense, though--the hard drive and OS are right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    Cool, I didn't know you could use an actual computer. Makes sense, though--the hard drive and OS are right there.
    Yep, it is one of those random little features that make macs pretty cool, and makes you wonder why no one else bothers. Well I mean I know why they don't, it costs more to produce (there is a reason most motherboards don't have firewire and why the iPods ditched it). Still, I would love to have a netbook with a blazing fast SSD and firewire 800 that I could use as both my mobile computer and my primary boot drive at home.