Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Homosexuality Wrong?

Unhappy Is Homosexuality Wrong?

So it's 7:30am (no sleep), so If somethings a little screwed up, I'll try to fix it tomorrow. Anyways, I was on Omegle, chatting with random people, and then one person copypasta's the question...

"Is homosexuality wrong?"

To which I answer "No, of course not.", to which he replys "Care to debate?", to which I reply "Sure.".

He had this idea that homosexuality was hurting society, I came back with what I could, but it being 4:30am at the time, I couldn't come up with much. Plus I'm no debater, but I sat through the whole thing as this is something that sits deep with me.

I can't remember what he was talking about, something about it defying nature by definition and it doing damage over time. He spoke in really complicated way that confused me to no end. When he tried to explain it to me, he said that it drifted from the principles of society. I didn't understand this in the least... then something about it being an implicit problem? And then something about not reproducing being against everything humanity stands for.

All I know is, that while homosexuality doesn't help progression, it doesn't hurt it either. Even if it does, it's not significant enough to be a problem. The world will still go round regardless of gays being present. Plus, there happy. He also disagrees with happiness...

Can someone please explain to me what he meant? How could being gay could hurt society? I just want to know what he meant, I'd still totally go to war for gay rights. (Right now, I mean that quite literally. Half way through the debate all I wanted was to put a nine up his ass...)

EDIT: Just remembered, he was able to rule out Population, Evolution, Natural Law, and Society's Image. What's left? :/ Oh oh, and, he said by accepting homosexuality I should be accepting other such things as pedophilia (which he had no understanding of, saying that all pedos hurt people), which I agreed to. It's not the pedos, it's the criminals with pedophilia.
    Last edited by LittleFlint; 20-Aug-2010 at 15:09.

I think it depends on where the guy lives. If he lives in like some overly religious nutjob community which disapproves of homosexuality then yes, a gay person could in their eyes undermine all what they stand for and as such 'hurt' their community. Other than that I don't know really...

Being gay can't really hurt society, at least not in any provable way. Most people who try to argue that do so on biblical grounds. In doing so they typically fail not just to provide actual evidence, but normally conflate homosexuality with other things IE the good old fallacy of Sodom and Gomorrah.

You can't argue homosexuality hurts or helps progression any more than heterosexuality does. You could try to say heterosexuality helps due to procreation, but being a homosexual does not prevent one from procreating. The drive to have kids surprisingly does not vanish just because you are no longer attracted to women. I know plenty of gay families with kids, and plenty of childless single couples. In fact, being well educated has more of a negative impact on having kids than being gay.

Damnit, that's what I missed. I was supposed to ask an example of the damage! That, and now I realize he never answered me when I asked how it will have hurt society ten years down the road...

I don't know if he was religious or not, but that may have been why. He never mentioned any kind of god though, only progression. Like humanity was a systematic machine, his only interest seemed to better society. He said removing homosexuality would help better the race as a whole, which is the biggest load of bullcrap I have ever heard. I mentioned that he could be trying to fix much worse things, like war, which we are spending WAY to much on. He replied that Homosexuality was up there with war!

Being the ridiculously conservative bitch that I am I say...

Who gives a flying rats ass?
    If it hurts, oh well. If it doesn't, fine.
    As with also Hetero couples, just don't go out molesting each other in public and I don't have a problem.

Also for the procreation argument, it doesn't make total sense because look how many Heterosexual couples never end up having kids.

Now is it natural? Not entirely. You can find many things in nature that isn't totally natural. Like young animals being able to mate at a certain time while still being, well, young.
    There's also been cases of Necrophilia in nature and somehow I don't think that's natural either.
    And well Homosexuality isn't natural because it doesn't help to preserve the species even though you're technically mating.

Buuuuut... I say, I don't care what other people do in private. I'm cool with anything, that involves consent, that you don't make overtly public.
    Which goes back to the molesting each other in public comment. I do many unnatural things in private (which I shall not begin to discuss) and really I don't want people saying I can't do that or look at it. And they can't so long as they never find out, which means not mentioning it/doing it in public.
    But that's just on my end of the spectrum.
    In short, if it's no one else business and you don't flaunt it in everyone's faces, thus making it a part of their lives, then it doesn't matter if it's natural or unnatural. So long as it's consensual.

And there you go.

Butterfly Mage

In my humble opinion, a gay couple in a stable, monogamous relation is no more "wrong" than an infertile heterosexual couple in a long-term monogamous relationship. The only "wrongness" of homosexuality is from the perspective of fundamentalist Abrahamic sects that have not revised their beliefs on socialization since the Bronze Age.

If I twist my brain hard enough . . . .
    Homosexuality precludes procreation
    Accepting Homosexuality will encourage others not to procreate leading to no more society
    No more Society is implicitly bad for Society

the number of fallacies and misconceptions that takes REALLY hurts, though

LilLillyKitten

Oh snap, I know how to flatten their argument post haste... I wasted two years of my life on those arguments, so here:

There are too many fucking humans anyway; we're just going to destroy our environment at this rate... so God bless homosexuals and their lack of procreation!

Homosexuals were once regarded as divine, as were transgender people, in various cultures. Hell, there are cultures around today where homosexuality is THE NORM and procreation is something that people are FORCED to do. Gay people can contribute to a society in ways that others can't... there is a certain wisdom that can come from diversity.

As for "supporting paedophilia;" how is "live and let live" in regards to homosexuality anything like encouraging non-consensual sexual relations between adults and children? Answer: it isn't... the same goes for polygamy. (I'm cool with polyamory, but polygamy just seems like a legal nightmare...)

Quote Originally Posted by Traemo View Post
    Accepting Homosexuality will encourage others not to procreate leading to no more society

Even then, there are advantages to limiting procreation. The world's population is spiralling out of control, and adding to that is doing no one any favours

Quote Originally Posted by Traemo View Post

Homosexuals do have kids. My friends have kids, I would love to raise a daughter one day. The situation makes it more complicated, but by no means is homosexuality a show stopper. Most of my friends used surrogates, a lot of them close friends. It might sound complicated, but it is a lot less complicated than the task of actually raising a kid. You bet they are good parents too because you don't go through that kind of hassle until you are ready, want kids, and can afford it.
    Last edited by frillyfoxy; 20-Aug-2010 at 18:02. Reason: wierd double posty laggy thing