Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Hard Drive Input

Default Laptop Hard Drive Input

Im looking to buy a new hard drive for my laptop, as my hard drive is only 160gigs and well I want a bigger one to hold all my crap without needing an external. My current drive is 160gb 7200 rpm, so I am aiming for better then that. There are the two I am looking at so far,
    WD 500gb, 7200rpm, - Western Digital Scorpio Black WD5000BEKT 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Hitachi 500gb, 7200rpm, - HITACHI Travelstar H2IK5001672SP (0S02858) 500GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either, Ive had WD before and worked fine just wondering if anyone has used these specific ones or just has general input about who produces high quality drives.
    This is for a Lenovo w500 laptop. I looked at some of the 1TB drives for shits and giggles but they are larger then my computer can handle i think. My current drive is, 9.5mm x 70mm x 100mm.

I run WD Caviars exclusively, and I've never had one fail on me. I run Blacks in my gaming/storage array box, and a green in my always on "eco" box. I had Hitatchis in my old Sony laptop, and had nothing but problems. Oh, and HDD sizes are standardized, for the most part. As long as you get a 2.5" SATA, you should be fine. Does the current drive sit in there pretty snuggly?

The subject of reliability of hard drives is somewhat ambiguous and pretty much entirely subjective. Personally I would go with the WD drive, but it is entirely up to you.

On a related note: Make sure the interface of the drive is the same as the interface on your laptop. I'm sure you've already thought of that, but caution never hurt.

Yeah I need an SATA drive, and I haven't taken a look at the hdd in my computer yet, but the 1TB hdds are 12.5mm high which is a big difference as far as I am concerned from 9mm. I just looked at the Caviars and would love a black one but sadly not for laptops. As of right now I am leaning towards the WD Scorpio Black. Just gonna look around and see if I can find it in store around here for a reasonable price, or ill just buy it on newegg and wait for it to get to me.

As Entity said, there's not enough concrete evidence to directly suggest one manufacturer over another and many people will give you different suggestions for their favorite based on whatever personal experience they have. However...

Laptop hard drives struggle with heat issues mainly because most laptop manufacturers and laptop chassis don't pay any attention to cooling the hard drive, just sticking it by itself in a little box with a hole or two poked in it. Because of this, I would highly suggest a 5400RPM drive for your laptop. 7200's are a good bit faster, but they also run hotter and will fail sooner. Also, laptops with more platters will generate more heat as they have more moving parts: a general indication of how many platters a drive has can be determined by the height of the casing.

I'd recommend this drive as Samsung tends to use fewer platters than other HDD manufacturers (think it only has one): - SAMSUNG Spinpoint M7E HM641JI 640GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Also, you may want to look into getting a laptop cooling pad: - Rosewill 15.4" - 17" Notebook Cooler with 4-Port USB Hub Model RNA-7600W

As others have stated, hard drive reliability appears to be entirely subjective. That having been said, I've also had Samsung drives fail on me too. Oh, and the Caviar drives are for desktops, the Scorpios are for laptops. So essentially, Caviar Black == Scorpio Black. Yes, the 3.5mm can make a huge difference, but there might be room. If you can, try and cut some foam rubber spacers that are 2.5mm thick, stick them to the top of your drive, chalk up the tops, and put the covers back in place. If the chalk isn't disturbed, get yourself that 1TB drive.

Not only appears, Google did some a research project on drive reliability, and found that they are all within a couple of percent of each other in failure, and they all have taken turns on top and bottom over the decade. The gist of the whole thing was manufacturers are not bad, runs are bad. So it isn't a case of "do I get the WD or the Seagate" it is a question of "do I get the Caviar Green or the regular Caviar because there are some reports that they might have shipped some bad drives." At the end of the day it is pretty hard to make the "right" choice, so just get one from a reputable manufacturer that fits your needs.

i'd go for the WD one , i got one for my old laptop (which i donated to my sister) and hell yeah! its bloody fast

for as far as hitachi goes: i always keep in mind that ibm sold its harddrive division to Hitachi, after the deathstar fisco from the early 2000's -.-(wikilinkie)

WD drives are reliable and CHEAP!! Well, the later depends where you look, btw. I've had my laptop for 2 years, and it has been pretty much only sitting at my desk since then because it's a huge lump of crap! I had a Hitachi drive inside of it, and well, guess what? It failed along with thousands of un-backed up files as photos! Plus, there wasn't any drop, extreme heap and whatnot! However, I have several WD drives, one of them is even like 10 years old, and they all work perfectly! The best part, is that the new WD drives don't make any noise at all! Heck, even the 10 year old one makes hardly any noise! My one year old hitachi? Louder than my laptop fan!

Well I bought the WD one and put it in my laptop. The drive itself works fine and is quiet. Sadly the W7 version i have is the upgrade version. So I couldnt install it on the new hard drive. I had to clone my original hd to the new one, but then it complained that the clone wasnt genuine. So I had to use the backup partition to install vista, just so I could then upgrade to W7 again. But after a fun day of all that its all up and running.