Thread: The Possibility of IBS

Default The Possibility of IBS

I definitely would like to hear from some people on the topic of IBS, from how you got it, to how you manage it, ticks and tricks, etc etc.

The reason I ask is because I highly suspect I may have IBS as a result from getting sick earlier this year. My mother and I ate crab that someone handled improperly (meaning they didn't wash their hands before touching my food) and we got sick.

My mother got over it within a day, mine took me well over a week.

When things weren't looking well and I still couldn't eat after three days from getting sick, I finally sucked it up and went to my doctor. She explained I had lost the lining of my small intestine, making it immensely hard to digest anything but basic, non-processed food. I was put on a low-residue diet after bridging from basics like toast, applesauce, and rice, and while it looked promising, it seemed to be only the beginning of some troubles for me.

I have been able to eat regular foods since the incident, but I'm constantly plagued with nausea and lower stomach pains (right where the intestines are, or so I believe), and my life is revolving around Tums and bread if my stomach starts to make a turn for the worse. Is it possible I could have IBS? Does it sound like it? Should I seek a doctor? Or could it be something else, and should I still see someone aside from my standard physician regardless?

My sugestion would be go to the doctor. that simple. what is going on in your intestines does not sound like you need to be seeking help this way. I hope you feel better.

You should make an appointment with a gastroenterologist. I have had IBS-D since childhood and this doesn't sound like it. About 70% of the time, my discomfort (bowel pain and urges) stems from eating. The rest of the time it just happens out of the blue. However, in IBS, the onset of episodes are related to faulty nerve signals to the colon, not degeneration of the intestinal lining. It helps me to avoid fatty and greasy foods, which overstimulate my intestines. I have a severely overactive bladder, which I have an easier time dealing with. At best, my IBS episodes can leave me rushing to find a toilet and having one bm and it's over. At worse, it can leave me with severe intestinal pain, an extremely messy diaper, shaking on the toilet for hours and curled up in a ball in my bed for the rest of the day. Fortunately, it doesn't happen all the time. I have about 1-2 episodes per week.