Thread: Visiting London

Default Visiting London

So, in a few weeks I am finally getting to take a trip to London after trying for a few years and I was wondering if any of our local Londoners or others who have visited wouldn't mind tossing out ideas on the not so well known sites to see. I have the usual on my itinerary, but options are always welcome

To me, im a major shutterbug and will probably be taking pictures of everything so it doesn't necessarily have to be a site that will break the bank so to speak. (The exchange on the currency is going to kill me already )

What kind of stuff are you interested in? Let me know, and I'll give you a few ideas.
    DD

Before we go any futher, can I ask that you clarify which London you mean, please? This is especially pertinent given that your location lists you as in Canada, and there's a London in Canada a distance away from Newfoundland that I'd consider far enough away that you'd only travel there occasionally.

There are also, apparently, Londons in no fewer than eight states of the USA.

If you just say "London", you're going to get answers regarding the capital of England & the UK...

Edit: Oops, I missed the "currency exchange" part of your post. This is why I shouldn't post at 4am >.<

In that case, have fun being arrested under terrorism legislation. It's completely illegal for the cops to abuse their power in that way, but apparently that isn't stopping them... I won't rant on that subject any more than I already have, though >.>

Ripley's Believe It or Not in Piccadilly Circus is good fun!

As is London Zoo and also London Dungeons!! :-D

All the stuff on Exhibition Road in South Kensington - the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum and the V&A - also Tate Britain, and the British Film Institute.
    And while you're on the south bank, you should go look at the London Eye after dark, and notice how much it looks like the Eye of Sauron when it's lit up ;-)

Talk a walk down the Southbank, there might be some sand sculptures being made on one of the little beaches there (I used to do it when I lived in London), you'll also pass the millenium bridge, a bargehouse with an art gallery in it, the boutiques in the oxo tower, and the tate modern. If you then cross on blackfriars bridge then you'll come to St Pauls cathedral and you can walk back up through the square mile, it's a nice walk

Also make sure to check out covent gardens

Hey fellow Canuck. Im a Vancouver dude living in London for the next year! It really all depends on what you are into. I work in Soho... you need to check that area out. More bars than you know what to do with. From there you can walk south to Trafalgar square, keep going, cross the bridge and you'll hit Big Ben. Once you are there head a bit East and you are at the Millenium wheel. It will blow your MIND how close everything is out here. Buy an Oyster card for the tube... It's save you some cash. If you are looking for a hostel to stay at, consider Palmers Lodge. I stayed there for a week while I was looking for a place and I LOVED it.

Dude, I could keep going haha. You'll have a blast. If you are feeling gutsy, you should check out the AB Club every 3rd Sat of the month near Kings Cross. PM me if you need other suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by squashNstretch View Post
    Hey fellow Canuck. Im a Vancouver dude living in London for the next year! It really all depends on what you are into. I work in Soho... you need to check that area out. More bars than you know what to do with. From there you can walk south to Trafalgar square, keep going, cross the bridge and you'll hit Big Ben. Once you are there head a bit East and you are at the Millenium wheel. It will blow your MIND how close everything is out here. Buy an Oyster card for the tube... It's save you some cash. If you are looking for a hostel to stay at, consider Palmers Lodge. I stayed there for a week while I was looking for a place and I LOVED it.

Dude, I could keep going haha. You'll have a blast. If you are feeling gutsy, you should check out the AB Club every 3rd Sat of the month near Kings Cross. PM me if you need other suggestions
    All great suggestions folks I am planning on seeing some of the usual sights, but im the type of person where just walking around and seeing the spur of the moment stuff is great as well. As for the AB club; I have heard about it and its actually the night of the first day I get there, but im way too shy to even attempt that lol
    Last edited by LstNwf; 18-Aug-2010 at 10:55. Reason: Spelling -_-