Thread: cycling clothes

Default cycling clothes

Hey there folks. I'm looking for a recommendation on cycling clothes. Since I know a bunch of people here are into cycling, I thought ADISC was as good a place as any to ask.

Here's the scoop: I'm kind of new to cycling, and so far I've just been wearing regular clothes, like T-shirts and basketball shorts. But I'm finding that the wind rips right through my shirt and in no time at all, my stomach's ice cold and I'm cramping up, and that's about it for my biking trip. I figure I need something that's windproof but still breathable, if that's even possible. I've done some searching around, and so far I've heard that bib shorts are a good idea, since they provide extra coverage, and that a form fitting windbreaker would also do well.

But since sports clothes can be kind of pricey, and since you can't exactly return something after you've sweated up a storm in it, I'd like to get as many opinions as possible before I go shopping. What's the best outfit to keep the wind off my chest without suffocating me in the summer heat?

Seriously, a good set of bib shorts is the way to go. On top, any lightweight, moisture wicking and UV resistant shirt will work. You can do without the windbreaker until much later in the year. But a good pair of cycling specific shorts is important. The chamois pad makes sitting in the saddle a much more pleasant experience, and the lycra shorts keep everything nice and compact. It's not just to keep them from flapping in the breeze, but also to compress your thighs. Don't ask me why it helps, but it does. Bibs can be a little pricey, but you should at least get a pair of shorts. They do work wonders.

These are the shorts that I wear, and I absolutely love them:
    Performance Ultra II Bib Short - Mens Cycling Clothing

Honestly, I'm poor so I just use my gym shorts and a sleeveless t. Works well enough because I bike for endurance, not speed. When it gets colder I just throw on some underarmor underneath.

Im more of a downhill/ dirt jumper so I generally go for baggy shorts and t-shirt but when im on a mission to get fit, (which does sometimes happen) I find im always reaching for my merino t-shirt. Its a tighter fit for wind resistance, breathable, doesnt stick to you and doesnt smell no matter how long you wear it! Thats not to say the wearer doesnt after 4 hours.... It was quite expensive though. What about a football (soccer) style shirt or one of those Nike general sports tops? They tend to be breathable and have vents under the arms etc.

I like the wind. You're just not getting physical enough is all...
    I like downhill/dirt jumping. I normally wear a t-shirt and basketball shorts. Then there's the armor..... Hooooot!
    I haven't gone in a few months though, because I bent the frame of my Downhill bike.... I don't want to pay for a new one yet. $$$ a lot of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Me :p View Post
    I haven't gone in a few months though, because I bent the frame of my Downhill bike.... I don't want to pay for a new one yet. $$$ a lot of it!
    Ahh that sucks man. My DH bike has sat in the garage unused for 6 months as theres just nowhere around me with a big enough hill that warrants using it. Im planning on heading back to the alps next year though Hope you get back on the bike soon

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote0024 View Post
    Ahh that sucks man. My DH bike has sat in the garage unused for 6 months as theres just nowhere around me with a big enough hill that warrants using it. Im planning on heading back to the alps next year though Hope you get back on the bike soon
    I've been abusing my sister's... It's in awful shape now, but it's ridable.
    DH bikes are so heavy that you can't ride them around town... If you don't live near a mountain, and you don't have dirt jumps hidden in the woods near you, they're useless...

Bike shorts are not built for speed, they are built specifically for endurance. They are designed for long distance rides, and comfort on those rides. Don't get me wrong, I wear regular clothing when biking 99% of the time. I have biked in heels before. Point being if you are going to ride 50+ miles bike shorts are way better for it.

Hey thanks for the opinions guys. I think I'm going to save up and get a pair of bib shorts and a good windbreaker. I'm really looking forward to my next big ride from Poughkeepsie to New Paltz, especially because I'll get to use that new foot bridge over the Hudson, if you're familiar with the area. Maybe this time I'll make it into the Shawangunks -- last time I tried I nearly died XD so... many... hills...