Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Long Should I Wear a Wet Diaper?

Default How Long Should I Wear a Wet Diaper?

I am currently wearing Abena Abiform diapers and they are very absorbent and can hold a lot of urine. I am wetting in little piddlings and I don't want to change after each small wetting. My question is: How long is it safe to wear a wet diaper? I know enough to have a diaper change when I feel soggy, but is it OK to continue to wear the diaper when it is a little, or partially wet?

It's still safe. When it's full though, you usually can have it for maybe an hour or so, but it depends on the situation.

The answer to your question may be different for each person. If someone has sensitive skin staying in a wet diaper may not be a really good idea. Now for those like myself that our skin si pretty tough, it wouldn't hurt to wear wet diapers.
    I personally wear mine until they are about to leak. I have worn the same wet diaper for 10-12hrs

So depending on your diaper and your skin, only you can really answer your question. I do and will continue to wear even wet.
    Changing a wet diaper is easier than wet pants.

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I am currently wearing Abena Abiform diapers and they are very absorbent and can hold a lot of urine. I am wetting in little piddlings and I don't want to change after each small wetting. My question is: How long is it safe to wear a wet diaper? I know enough to have a diaper change when I feel soggy, but is it OK to continue to wear the diaper when it is a little, or partially wet?
    I am profoundly urinary incontinent, so I wear some kind of diaper 24/7. My experience is my skin is most healthy when I change every 6-8 hours. Consequently I do not wear high capacity diapers like the Abiform. An Attends Breathable will hold more than 6 hours of my wetting.

Moose, if you are not incontinent, it could be your skin is not so robust avoiding rash. But treating diaper rash is not so difficult. Top Quality disposables, such as the Abiform, provide a lot of rash protection. Probably you are safe in a wet Abiform until you can smell ammonia from stale urine. Urine goes stale faster in hot weather.

My rule of thumb is I will wear it till it's about to leak, and I've never had a problem, ever.

Just gauge it based on how comfortable you feel, if it starts to chafe or get itchy/uncomfortable then you're starting to develop a rash and should change.

I have pretty tough skin though, I don't think I've ever had a real rash, in cases where i've gotten a minor one, I usually just stop wearing for a day or two. Of course if your IC then that's not an option and you should be more careful.

I agree, wear until you feel like you need to get out of the diaper. You should be fine if you stick to that plan.

I wear them until they begin to get that "old urine" scent. But I don't wear them 24/7, though, so...

I wear a wet diaper to sleep and sleep in pretty regularly. So that is at least ten hours with no ill effects. If you are walking around you might want change more often because of rubbing.

Frankly I find Abri starts to fall apart inside once soaked and worn for a while, become uncomfortable and saggy. They also smell bad.

They're good for holding a lot, but not really my favourite. Tena Maxi wins hands down. Holds slightly less but holds together well and is still comfortable and fits well even when soaked, and the smell absorbing stuff in them is much better.