Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diapers help

carlos

Default Diapers help

Hi somebody know if exist a organization or insurance that cover diaper prescription or help to provide diapers when you are incontinent?, my doctor send a letter to my older insurance because she prescribed me diapers but my insurance say NO

Quote Originally Posted by carlos View Post
    Hi somebody know if exist a organization or insurance that cover diaper prescription or help to provide diapers when you are incontinent?, my doctor send a letter to my older insurance because she prescribed me diapers but my insurance say NO
    Most insurance companies will not pay on a long-term basis for diapers. I've heard some cases where a large company's or government's health insurance coordinator (whoever it is you work for) can negotiate with the insurance company to include your incontinence supplies in your plan. However, good luck on that one.

Best bet is to find out if you can sign up for a flexible spending account with your employer. Basically, you specify that a certain amount of money comes out of your paycheck (pre-tax) to be reimbursed for qualified medical expenses. Incontinent supplies are included, but you'll need a doctors note or prescription.

Right on Spaz. I think that's all that can be done. I've never heard of insurance paying for diapers. I wonder how retired people on Medicare make out. I think they have to pay out of wallet.

The main reason Insurance doesn't cover diapers is because they consider them disposable goods not Durable Medical Goods. You can always confront your insurance company and request a review and then you can give your best sales pitch, but in the end, the insurance will most likely deny it again. I hate that they won't cover diapers but the are willing to pay more and more on surgery and such that doesn't work.

I do know that the VA does cover diapers but from the friend I know that gets his from the VA said they are not good diapers just basic ones.

Like Spaz said a flexible spending account will help but I have found that I can't use mine to buy diapers because the companies that sell the good diapers, Abena XPLUS, Secure XPLUS, Dry 24/7, and Providers Choice do not participate in some kind of special medical inventory program which FSA cards use to verify if a product or service is covered.

i use my fsa to get diapers, i use the card, and send the receipt into them, it gets approved. i go thru XP medical

carlos

thanks guys

The funny part about this is the insurance company will pay for diapers when you're in the hospital or rehab hospital but when you are at home they will not pay. Last time I was at a rehab hospital I had them send me home with 2 cases.I have had many disagreements with my insurance company.I was hospitalized with a bad infection from a foley cath that one hospital put in and had
    iv antibiotics,an extra 4 days in the hospital

carlos

and the other problem is because you dont want, you need wear protection, because we have a medical problem.

Move to the Netherlands, insurance is obligated. Civilians pay about 100 euro's a month for the standard package and incontinence products are 100% insured with a prescription. Social wellfare state WTF ^_^'

On rare occasions I have seen insurance cover diapers, but most insurance won't because they are OTC. (Over The Counter) Government plans like MediCal/MediCare will cover just about anything from aspirin, to condoms, to vitamins.