Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's harder to accept for a parent; their child being gay or *B/DL?

Default What's harder to accept for a parent; their child being gay or *B/DL?

I was wondering, what would be harder for parents to accept; their child being gay or *B/DL?
    I realize not all parents are the same but what would be common?

Reason I ask this is because of something my mother recently told my brother in a casual way. They were just talking about random things and eventually the subject of homosexuality came up and my mom said that she'd be fine with it if he was gay. This reminded me of a time when she said that to me.

I know he's not gay (or atleast, I _think_ he's not seeing as he has had a couple of girlfriends) and neither am I, but this got me thinking...
    If she'd be okay with me being gay then how would she react if she finds out I like to wear diapers?

Not that I plan on telling her but still...

*** not entirely sure if this is the right section for this thread, mods feel free to move it to the appropriate section ***

Butterfly Mage

I would think that ABDL would be harder for a parent to accept than a child being gay.

i'd have to say that being gay would probably be harder on the parents in this day and age, depending on the parent.

i'm not a parent, so don't quote me on any of this, but, the way i see it, whatever makes you happy is alright with me as long as its not dangerous. and you don't make a laughing stock out of out family (which means don't get caught ;p).

being gay on the other hand, isn't dangerous, but it's incredibly apparent all the time. if theyre holding hands and going on dates, obviously, it's noticeable, and everyones going to think about the other kids in the family, at the very least. i guess that's why it's so hard to accept homosexuality as a parent, mainly...

but, like i said, i'm not a parent, so don't really hold anything against me if im wrong, alright?

Speaking as a gay AB/DL whose parents know about both, it was much easier for them to accept my homosexuality than my *B/DLism. When I came out to them, they were just like 'yeah, we kinda knew, we were just waiting for you to come out and say it'.

Now don't get me wrong, my mom is one of the coolest and most accepting people, but just the thought of my *B/DLism disgusts her. I think that it's a personal thing though, like, it effects people differently. My dad is more accepting of it, I think. He doesn't like or approve of it, but he doesn't get the whole 'eww, barf!' reaction that my mom does.

So, I think that being gay is easier for parents to accept, at least in my experience. Another way to think about it is, if your parents would not be okay with you being gay, do you really think that they would be okay with you being *B/DL?

lets put it this way.... My parents always told me if I was gay it's ok they would understand and not shun me. They love me for who i am etc etc. This game me some indication to tell me mom about my infanitilism. She found it odd and a bit hard to accept initially but it went away quickly. So I'm thinking gay because it's just that much more common. ya know?

I think being "b/dl is much harder to be accepted. Mankind has always pinned down those who were different. There are many homosexuals that are openly gay, but the number of open "b/dl's is much smaller. I think because we are less known, then we are less accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    lets put it this way.... My parents always told me if I was gay it's ok they would understand and not shun me. They love me for who i am etc etc. This game me some indication to tell me mom about my infanitilism. She found it odd and a bit hard to accept initially but it went away quickly. So I'm thinking gay because it's just that much more common. ya know?
    I agree with the whole "that much more common" aspect. I mean, it's only been socially acceptable to be gay even in the most liberal of places for about the past 40 years, but compared to the never that being *B/DL has been socially acceptable…you see what I'm getting at.

Depends on the parents. Some will think that fetishes are a-ok, but gays are "OMAIGAWD GAYS THEY'RE ALL GONNA BURN IN HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH". Though, to be honest, I've never met anybody as contradictory as that. In general, though, I'd say *B/DL. Gays are slowly, but surely, becoming accepted into society with open arms. *B/DL-ism, however, like most fetishes, are under wraps, and not as 'public' as a sexual orientation can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarenir View Post
    Another way to think about it is, if your parents would not be okay with you being gay, do you really think that they would be okay with you being *B/DL?
    I guess, if you look at it like that, it is an indicator that they're atleast somewhat open to one being 'different', which I guess, is never a bad thing.

On the other hand, *B/DLism is very different so it could well be over the top, although it's much less visible than one being gay.
    I guess you can never really know untill you tell them.