Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: RIP my Motherboard: New parts and accessories for upgrading 2010.

  1. #1

    Lightbulb RIP my Motherboard: New parts and accessories for upgrading 2010.

    So here I go again, having to repair my computer yet again. My computer shut off without warning and when I tried to turn it back on, it wouldn't even boot to bios. So I checked all the probable causes and it looks that once again my motherboard has malfunctioned. I figured this time I'd go ahead and upgrade as well as repair. When I took out my CPU, I made the bad mistake of leaving the protective plastic film on the heatsink. (YAY Noob mistake!) .... so when I pulled off the heatsink, it bent the pins of my processor. I was able to put it back in afterwards but, the results are the same. Since I only have 2gb of ram that runs at a blazing 533mhz, I'm upgrading to 4gb 1066mhz DDR2 ram. Because I might have damaged the processor, I am also going to upgrade that with a new Athlon II X4 2.8ghz.... a huge step up from my Athlon X2 4800+ 2ghz. Since the board is now broken, I figured I'd get one where the ram is cheapest, but the possibility of upgrade is still there. I've chosen an Asus board with only one PCI-E slot and a few extra PCI slots. It also has to come with AM2/AM3 socket. Since I already have the other parts, it's not necessary to buy anything else. Hopefully this will do me for a while.

    These are the following parts I'm going to use. (And I'm putting these here for my own reference.)

    (DDR 2 build) $275.00 USD

    Newegg.com - ASUS M4A77D AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

    Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2T1K2/4G

    Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor ADX630WFGIBOX

    Sadly, I believe I will have to invest in a few more fans for the computer, even though it's already a windtunnel, I think the video-card needs more attention. I believe a PCI-E 1X fan will do the trick for that. If anyone has any suggestions or is a silly techie like me, feel free to comment.


    Edit: Also, I just realize It might invalidate my copy of Windows 7. I wonder if I will have to re-install, if so, that'll be a bummer.

    Edit: UPDATE

    I've got a new set up going now.

    (DDR3 Build) $298.50 USD
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131398
    Dedicated AM3 motherboard with DDR3 memory slots.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277
    Some fast gamer ram to make use of the nice slots on the new board.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103702
    A different AM3 processor. Same Athlon II X4 line, .10 extra ghz. This one has dedicated DDR3 memory controllers, instead of being a hybrid accepting both DDR2 and DDR3.
    Last edited by AlexRianSabaw; 31-Jul-2010 at 18:55. Reason: New specs.

  2. #2

    Default

    After such a major change to the system, it would be advisable to do a clean install regardless. I tried to pull that when I did a mobo swap on my computer, and Vista kept crashing on boot because it wasn't playing nice with my RAID controller.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    After such a major change to the system, it would be advisable to do a clean install regardless. I tried to pull that when I did a mobo swap on my computer, and Vista kept crashing on boot because it wasn't playing nice with my RAID controller.
    Sadly, that might be the best idea. I do have ways of getting legit copies of windows, so that's not a problem. I'm not a fan of pirated windows software. It always has too many problems.


    The difference between i5 and i7 is not enough to justify the extra 200 dollars that I would have to put into it. It's a pretty processor I agree, but I'll stick with the cheaper AMD models for now. If it were a money issue, I'd go with a Phenom Black or similar instead of the Athlon II x4.
    Last edited by Peachy; 30-Jul-2010 at 15:27. Reason: removing deleted post quote

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Sabaw View Post
    Sadly, that might be the best idea. I do have ways of getting legit copies of windows, so that's not a problem. I'm not a fan of pirated windows software. It always has too many problems.
    If you already have a legit copy of Win7, you should be able to install it on the new computer. I've made several upgrades to my computer, and I've been using the same Vista key.

  5. #5
    R134A

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    If you already have a legit copy of Win7, you should be able to install it on the new computer. I've made several upgrades to my computer, and I've been using the same Vista key.
    Yes you should be able to do that. I had a laptop gave to me. The hard drive had crashed on it and the guy didn't want to fix it. I picked up another hard drive on ebay for around $23.00 and used my windows xp recovery disk to reinstall xp on it. I just put in the key for it that was on the laptop and it validated it and runs perfect now.

    So at least you may be able to reuse your Win7 disk if you have one to reinstall it on your pc again. Good luck.

  6. #6

    Default

    It's possible that a faulty capacitor on the motherboard makes the PC shut off after a while. I had a motherboard that did this. Each time I tried to start it up it would shut off after like 10 sec. and wreck the power supply. I had to unplug the PC for a few sec to reset the power supply.

  7. #7
    acorn

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFox93 View Post
    It's possible that a faulty capacitor on the motherboard makes the PC shut off after a while. I had a motherboard that did this.
    If that capacitor is electrolytic, they tend to dry out with age naturally, a hot environment will promote this problem

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    If that capacitor is electrolytic, they tend to dry out with age naturally, a hot environment will promote this problem
    Exactly. That problem is even worse with the circuit board in those compact fluorescent lights, the electrolytic caps literally bake inside!

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by pulluplover221 View Post
    Yes you should be able to do that. I had a laptop gave to me. The hard drive had crashed on it and the guy didn't want to fix it. I picked up another hard drive on ebay for around $23.00 and used my windows xp recovery disk to reinstall xp on it. I just put in the key for it that was on the laptop and it validated it and runs perfect now.

    So at least you may be able to reuse your Win7 disk if you have one to reinstall it on your pc again. Good luck.
    Although that might work for XP, the WGA on Vista and 7 is different, when it detects hardware has changed..... it might consider it a different computer and therefore invalidate your install, I've had it happen before. However since the installation CD I have is a volume key from LSU, I might be able to reinstall without any problem.



    Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    If you already have a legit copy of Win7, you should be able to install it on the new computer. I've made several upgrades to my computer, and I've been using the same Vista key.
    I will have to do that then, a clean install is something I really did not want to do, but if it can't be helped then it can't be helped. Hopefully it will be stable enough for me to transfer my files and back them up.



    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFox93 View Post
    It's possible that a faulty capacitor on the motherboard makes the PC shut off after a while. I had a motherboard that did this. Each time I tried to start it up it would shut off after like 10 sec. and wreck the power supply. I had to unplug the PC for a few sec to reset the power supply.


    Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    If that capacitor is electrolytic, they tend to dry out with age naturally, a hot environment will promote this problem
    There are two things for why my computer components fail in my house. Heat. Houston Texas USA is a very very very warm area. With electricity prices skyrocketing, it's only logical to limit the time the air conditioner is set to a higher temp. Secondly, My house has problems with electricity. Power fluctuates all the time, brown outs and spikes are a norm. I use a UPS to help alleviate the problem but, the UPS can only do so much.

  10. #10
    acorn

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Sabaw View Post
    I have is a volume key from LSU, I might be able to reinstall without any problem.
    Be aware that volume keys can be rejected, I had this happen (2 years ago) with an XP Pro'-OS that I acquired from college about 2 years before that. (Rejected = Microsoft updates)

    Heat = Houston, we have a problem.
    Best of luck.
    Last edited by acorn; 30-Jul-2010 at 05:08.

Similar Threads

  1. Hi there. I'm new around these parts.
    By silone0 in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-May-2010, 08:41
  2. Laptop Upgrading
    By Pojo in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-Nov-2009, 04:43
  3. Best place to buy AB / ageplay accessories.
    By annierighthurr in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 13-May-2009, 20:52
  4. So theres this new Motherboard....
    By Malaci in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 25-Feb-2008, 23:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.