Thread: Any hiring managers or HR people on here.. I got a question

Default Any hiring managers or HR people on here.. I got a question

Okay so I've been looking for a job that'll work around my schooling and to help me stay in school. I apply to places that are hiring and I call them to check on the status of my application. I get told that they'll call me back. Most of the time I never get a call back and I wonder why managers never do what they say. If you're going to tell someone that you'll call them then why not do it, even to tell them that you found someone that better fits your needs?

Some companies that often require a little more work experience are at least nice enough to send me a letter in the mail stating that they didn't select me because I didn't fit their requirements for a specific job title. At least I know not to keep applying without knowing they aren't interested in learning more about me and my experience.

My real question is

Are managers trained to not even call people they don't wish to interview?

Any information and advice is greatly appreciated.

I would assume most managers have a lot of work to do. Most of the time they really don't have time to call all the people that applied and got rejected, just to tell them that they did not want to hire them.

I don't think they need training to do that, it's human nature for the path of least resistance. When I've been on the hiring side, I always made an effort to communicate with people even if it was to give them news they didn't want to hear. I figured that was better than letting someone dangle. I think you're sort of answering your own question. As you get to more substantial kinds of employment, the process is generally more professional and you'll usually be notified of their intent and interest or lack thereof.

I guess I'm just frustrated with all the false hopes I've had with getting calls from the places I've applied to. I've been told that persistence is the key to getting your foot in the door with any job you want. I call these places and all I get is "I'll call you back" but most of the time they don't do that. I suppose if I annoy them enough with my calls they'll either yell in my ear to tell me they're not interested or they'll finally call me in for an interview. I know the interview doesn't guarantee the position will be mine, but it's one more step closer than I've been getting.

Having been relied upon to review applications and stuff at my old job, basically I had to go through the following steps. I'd read the application and make sure references and stuff were all completely filled out, same with work history. Those go in pile one. Then I go through people who have never had a job and go in pile 2. Pile 3 is the trashcan for incomplete applications. Afterwards, we would review the applications in detail, seeing who's fit for what and give them a call. Although people do call to ask if we've looked at the application, a majority of the time, we cannot remember off the top of our heads, so the answer will be "Wait for us to call you." The best thing to do is to come in, when it's not busy, usually in the mid-morning, and ask to speak to a manager or hiring person directly. We'll pull out your application and it'll end up being on the top, since you show initiative. More often than not however, applications will get lost in the huge giant pile of applications that get dropped off. It's hard to keep track of hundreds of applications. (This was from when I worked at Hobby Lobby) so... other hiring systems might differ.

I don't know what sort of job you are applying for. But I do know that in the retail sector, places are always "accepting applications" because of the turnover rate of their employees. So it's possible your application is sitting in a filing cabinet until they have an opening.

Alaskan, I'll try to give you some advice, half of my job is recruiting so I do a lot of interviews myself. I'm not sure where you are applying but it's true that some companies are just always accepting applications because of the turnover rate. Of course you want to ensure that the application is filled out completely and everything that it entails. You should follow it up with a phone call at least to see if they received it and ask the person if you could schedule an interview. This shows the recruiter that you are serious about the position and likely would be a better worker.

Post interview, unless you get the job on the spot I strongly recommend you send the interviewer a hand written thank you card. This works, trust me. One guy who after the interview I wasn't going to hire sent me one and that was enough to change my mind.

I wish you luck.

Grow thicker skin, and continue with polite, but persistant follow ups. Job hunting is no different than sales, except that the product is you. Expect to be ignored, rejected, led on with false hope, all depending on the personalities and work load of the people you're trying to score facetime (and ultimately a job....) with.

If I were running a business, and I discovered that my HR people had enough time on their hands to send out personal replies or make phone calls to every applicant that sent in a resume or filled out an application, there would be a staff reduction in HR. HR is not a profit center. When times are tough, its one of the first places to look for heads to chop.

Its a matter of numbers. In this economy, businesses are running shorthanded as it is, and flooded with hundreds of applications for every opening. In a large operation, its a fair bet that your application has never even been seen by human eyes. In a small one, the manager doing the search may also be covering the job he's trying to fill. There's only 24 hours in a day, and killing time with random job applicants and replying to random resumes isn't paying the bills. Unless you have a specific, hard-to-find skill, you're just another face (or phone message, or resume somewhere in that stack in the corner).

As always, the answer to job hunting is "Networking". Cultivate people you know and ask them to keep an ear to the ground for you. You are far more likely to get an interview if you can get an introduction from someone the hiring manager knows.