Thread: college/career

Default college/career

so, I'm a HS graduate working in a factory (its not bad just boring). I have been asked again and again "where are you going to college" or "when do you start school again" and for right now at least I'm not going to college, mostly because i don't know what i want to do in life. First i nearly went to wyo tech (for cars) but decided i didn't wont to, than i nearly signed up for pc pro but decided against it. Now i have thought a lot and the only thing i like doing enough to do the rest of my life is driving, and now I'm stuck. I don't know what i could do for driving, i mean i know there are stunt drivers and people who race but that's about it, and i don't know where to start in what i need for education. And when i google i don't find any thing useful. I would love any advice.

There are performance driving schools around the country but I'm not sure of their exact locations, but I imagine they're located in areas where it's warm most of the year. There are lots of VIP/rich folks who enjoy being driven around by someone else. I haven't looked into this as I'm after a career in the medical field. There are many delivery type jobs, especially with FedEx and UPS, but that depends if you want to drive a large truck or if you want to drive like a car. You could also be a courier delivering messages, packages, and mail. Or work for the postal service as a mail man!

I would like to think that most driving jobs don't require much education other than knowledge of the operation of a motor vehicle and ideally a clean driving record as well.

I wanted to mention you can apply for your CDL and become a truck driver... they make good money!
    Last edited by Pawlf; 28-Jul-2010 at 23:22.

Well, there's a lot of benefit's of going to college. Myself, I do have a four year degree, yet I'm in a career where I've been for 5 years now which is in outside sales and not to toot my horn, I do quite well at it. I get to drive a lot, approximately 40,000 miles a year on my cars, of which I have two. Also, I've been known to participate in what I call "bike to work" Friday's, where I take my motorcycle on my rounds on sunny Friday's in the summer, which I love. Now my degree has nothing to do with my career but that's OK, I still received valuable skills and I have nice piece of paper to hang in my office and probably has made me more professional and possibly more successful in my career.

Aside from something like what I do, and yes those miles are put on my own personal vehicles and I am not reimbursed for it since I am technically an independent person; I own my own business, there are other things. Yes you could get your CDL and be a truck driver. However if you're looking to drive something that's not a truck, there's all sorts of things. Before what I do now, I worked for a pool management company and drove about 6,000 miles a MONTH. That one I had a company vehicle, either a Chevy Silverado or a Ford Econoline Super Duty 350. They paled in comparison to the "rice burner" I owned at the time but it was at least driving.

Many schools have a major dedicated to filling your General Education courses while helping you decide what you want to major in. At my school it's called the Division of Undergraduate Studies. I also wouldn't limit yourself to trade schools, as there are many 2 year degrees you can get at a college, and a great many of them are not very scholastic. I also have to throw in that community colleges can be a much more cost effective way of getting a degree.

anonymous kiba,

In my experience there are two tracks to take in college. Getting a professional degree or getting the fastest, easiest degree that you find enjoyable. I think most people find after college that if they don't get a professional degree (medical, business, engineering, law, etc.) that it doesn't matter what degree they have. When they say a 4-year degree is required in a job posting they don't care if it is a double major in womens studies and comparative literature or a general studies degree. You can easily get a general studies degree in four years.

I went through an engineering program, which took longer than four years, and even with working 20-40 hours per week I ended up with $50,000 in student loans. It has since paid off but I wouldn't recommend doing the same thing unless you know that is what you want to do.

The advice above in earlier posts is good. Get started with general studies classes and see if there is something that strikes your fancy. You can get a couple of years into college taking core classes and not have to declare a major in most schools or they'll have a program that lets you declare a generic degree.

I thought the benefit of college was being around like minded people that wanted to improve themselves. I had an absolute blast at college and very little of that fun had to do with going to classes. Best of luck.

The thing is i think its so stupid to spend lots of money to go to college if you don't know what you want to do. I mean what if you don't find any thing you want to do, than you just spent thousands of dollars for nothing.

And the only thing I'm good at is driving and that's it, every thing else i could care less for or completely suck at.

I have kinda thought about getting a cdl and becoming a truck driver, it definitely some thing i could see myself doing, im just look at more options right now. And i have thought of ups and stuff like that but i don't think they get paid very much? I guess my dream job would be test driving vehicles for company's but i don't know how good that would be (as in pay or reliability of having a job).

My two cents: The fastest and easiest way to waste a whole lot of your time, money and most likely end up feeling depressed is to enter a degree you don't 100% know you love.

If your program is worth anything, it ought to be hard. Hard enough that unless you are 100% sure the degree you are getting is in the profession you want to get into, you will end up dropping out at some point. College is a great experience, both socially and academically. My simple piece of advice: Only go if you are sure that your degree, and more importantly the knowledge gained from it, will enable you to get the job you will be most happy in. Some people don't need a degree to get the job\lifestyle they feel most happy with. Some people don't know what they want to do, I've known plenty of people who milled about in community college for a few years first. This allowed them to mature, see what they really were interested in, and allowed them to have a full or mostly full time job so they could save up more money for when they did do a university. I've noted that the people I saw who took this path and finally ended up in university tended to do quite well, because they were a bit more mature, and were committed to the degree they had chosen.

If you know what you want to do, great! Don't let anyone stop you. If you don't know what you want to do, I've seen plenty of people do very well at a community college for 1-2 years, then transfer in. It's easier to get into universities with higher entrance requirements, and the credits are cheaper at the CC. Just check in with the university you think you'd like to go to and make sure the credits transfer.

I think it's wrong that high school graduates are often expected to know what they want to do for the REST OF THEIR LIFE before they have even been out in the world to find out what opportunities are out there and who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous kiba View Post
    The thing is i think its so stupid to spend lots of money to go to college if you don't know what you want to do. I mean what if you don't find any thing you want to do, than you just spent thousands of dollars for nothing.
    You're pretty much right. If you really want to go to college, then it's worth it. But if you are going because you don't know what else to do or someone expects you to, I definitely think it is a waste of time and money. Getting a degree isn't the only path in life, despite common belief. And it's DEFINITELY not a magic bullet that guarantees a perfect and successful life, YOUR CHARACTER determines that.

Use the hell out of the internet to get advice and knowledge. I learned to record music that way, now I have 4 cds in stores nationally that I recorded.

As for career suggestions, I'm a big fan of starting your own business if you aren't afraid to take a risk or two... why would you want to work for someone else, making them rich off of your hard work? One suggestion that comes to mind for you is a courier service (works best if you live a bigger city). I have a friend who did this and made a KILLING. You basically play miscellaneous delivery person... lawyers, businesses, auto repair shops, sometimes need someone to deliver a contract, a part, a whatever, and they need it delivered NOW. You drive around delivering stuff all day.

One of the greatest things I was ever told was "View your life as an old man on his deathbed looking back. Will you look back knowing you did what you wanted to? Or will you be filled with regret?"