View Poll Results: What is your opinion on Vaccinations?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are good, and should be given (but not compulsory)

23 69.70%
  • They are a bad idea, and just a way for pharmaceutical companies to make money

0 0%
  • Depends what vaccine

10 30.30%
  • Don't Really have a view/ don't care

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Absurd Article I found - Vaccination is Bad

Default An Absurd Article I found - Vaccination is Bad

http://www.healingdaily.com/conditions/vaccination.htm

This is a poor article I randomly came across in some research I'm doing on the Placebo Effect:

Some of the things it's saying are ludicrous.

Some people will say : "My child had no adverse reaction to the vaccines, so there is nothing to worry about." ...or is there? The documented long term adverse effects of vaccines include chronic immunological and neurological disorders such as autism, attention deficit disorders, hyperactivity, allergies, dyslexia, and other conditions, many of which barely existed before mass vaccination programs.
    I have a feeling that this may be because:

1. Doctors weren't looking for many of these conditions before Mass Vaccination became common. (E.g. ADD, Dyslexia)

2. We have become better at identifying and diagnosing the actual conditions stated, so any seemingly obvious correlation between the two numbers (# vaccines vs # of diagnoses) is completely useless, as the context is often not found.

3. Studies that HAVE shown links have been bias and widely discredited, but have still been published by newspapers, so have mislead the public.

Decades of studies published in the world's leading medical journals have documented serious adverse vaccine events and vaccine failure, including death. Dozens of books written by doctors and researchers, reveal serious flaws in immunization practice and theory.

Yet, incredibly, most pediatricians and parents are unaware of these findings.
    "Most Pediatricians" would be expected, no, actually forcibly taught, to know any and all possible problems with vaccines, as they would be the ones trained to administer them.

/rant

So you heard my view on Vaccinations. What are yours?

If you don't agree with me, tell me why, don't just say something like, "You're wrong Shredder92, and you always will be!" I want to hear your reason for your opinion.

Last edited by Shredder92; 29-Jul-2010 at 11:20.

I would recommend that certain vaccinations be compulsory, such as smallpox, seasonal flu, and such. The risk of an allergic reaction / side effects are minimal, bordering on nonexistent. Also, considering what most of these viruses do to a person, it is, without a doubt the ideal solution.

I'll add more later, I'm at work at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder92 View Post
    http://www.healingdaily.com/conditions/vaccination.htm

This is a poor article I randomly came across in some research I'm doing on the Placebo Effect:

Some of the things it's saying are ludicrous.

I have a feeling that this may be because:

1. Doctors weren't looking for many of these conditions before Mass Vaccination became common. (E.g. ADD, Dyslexia)

2. We have become better at identifying and diagnosing the actual conditions stated, so any seemingly obvious correlation between the two numbers (# vaccines vs # of diagnoses) is completely useless, as the context is often not found.

3. Studies that HAVE shown links have been bias and widely discredited, but have still been published by newspapers, so have mislead the public.

"Most Pediatricians" would be expected, no, actually forcibly taught, to know any and all possible problems with vaccines, as they would be the ones trained to administer them.

/rant

So you heard my view on Vaccinations. What are yours?

If you don't agree with me, tell me why, don't just say something like, "You're wrong Shredder92, and you always will be!" I want to hear your reason for your opinion.

I heard that the guy who penned the initial physicians article stating the link between vaccinations and autism first tried to link it to Chron's disease

i can understand this
    when you get a vaccine you are getting the virus it self
    so if you get a vaccine for a relatively strong virus and have a repressed immune system, it's wont be fun...

Quote Originally Posted by hinkie View Post
    I would recommend that certain vaccinations be compulsory, such as smallpox, seasonal flu, and such.
    We eradicated smallpox in 1979 so there is no need for a vaccination.

Vaccinations are better than nothing, I'd rather run the frankly minimal risk of a side effect from the vaccination than risk death from a preventable disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    Am I the only one with a broken link?
    nope: he screwed up the [url] tags

I think the risks of a child getting one of the diseases and getting either brain damage or some other disability from having a serious disease are much worse. If we remove vaccines then we risk letting our younger generation being exposed to these diseases.
    I watched a report today from Korean news that said that IQ is on average lower where there is less vaccination and care for the younger generations. There is little proof on the side effects of vaccinations and a lot of research to see if there are any adverse effects.

The article makes big claims and has no citations to real research to back them up. Weasel words like "many studies" and "most pediatricians" are pretty meaningless unless there is a wealth of data specifying just how much.

The problem with the "long term effects include autism, dsylexia, etc." bit is that if you vaccinate 95% of children, then of course a bunch of those kids will turn out to have other problems, like autism, dyslexia, and so forth. The correlation between the two does not imply that the one causes the other. Now if there were a reputable study or two cited that demonstrated a significantly greater incidence of these problems in vaccinated people than in non-vaccinated people, they might have a case.

Regarding thimerosal, which, of all the article's claims, holds the most water, see the CDC website for more information:

Since 2001, no new vaccine licensed by FDA for use in children has contained thimerosal as a preservative, and all vaccines routinely recommended by CDC for children under six years of age have been thimerosal-free, or contain only trace amounts, except for multi-dose formulations of influenza vaccine. This was done as a precautionary step and not because there was evidence confirming that thimerosal-containing vaccines were causing health problems. The most recent and rigorous scientific research does not support the hypothesis that thimerosal-containing vaccines are harmful.
    According to the CDC , serious side effects of vaccinations can indeed include coma, long-term seizures, permanent brain damage, serious allergic reactions, and other life-threatening/altering complications. However, the rate of occurrence for these is (quoting the CDC here) 1 in 1 million.

It is a valid point that there are some serious adverse reactions to vaccinations. But the rate of occurrence is very low. And we mustn't forget that not taking a vaccination also has its risks, so it's a matter of which risk you'd rather take: neurological complication from a vaccine side effect, or death from the measles, polio, tuberculosis, tetanus, or other serious disease. I'll take the vaccine, thanks :P

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten53 View Post
    We eradicated smallpox in 1979 so there is no need for a vaccination.
    Actually, the US and Russia still have smallpox in cold storage. Other countries are also suspected of having stockpiles. So there's still a possibility, however slim it may be, that a biological attack involving smallpox could take place. Whether we'd all best be taking a smallpox vaccine just in case is another matter. See this BBC article for more details.

Thank you, slim for mentioning that about the stockpiles. And as you said, with a US population in excess of 300 million people, the highest amount of people likly to be affected by the highly unlikely side effects is about 300 people. Not so sound callus, but that is a small price to pay to prevent a massive viral outbreak in the country.