Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liquid Cooling

Default Liquid Cooling

I know there's a lot of techy-types on the forums, and I was curious if anyone else has tried liquid cooling. I just put together a simple system for my overclocked CPU and I've cut my core load temps from like 80 to 50.

Recently installed a Corsair H50. Its actually pretty nice, although I have had to turn up the sound of one of my case fans (adjustable speed) to make up for the nice hum of the previous CPU Cooler I've used. I am running a slight overclock on my main PC (about 400mhz..) however I'm actually impressed it idles at 22c

How difficult are these to install? They always looked kinda intricate and I don't trust my jittery hands with liquid around computer parts :P Then again it can't be as bad as feeling like you're gonna break your motherboard in half when you're trying to get your CPU fan to snap on right :/

Quote Originally Posted by LBcub View Post
    How difficult are these to install? They always looked kinda intricate and I don't trust my jittery hands with liquid around computer parts :P Then again it can't be as bad as feeling like you're gonna break your motherboard in half when you're trying to get your CPU fan to snap on right :/
    It's not too bad. There's not liquid in the system until you get all the tubing connected. There's also sealed systems like the Corsair timmahtherebel is talking about that are self-contained and you don't need to deal with the liquid at all.

daipe

Sorry for snatching the topic, but I am soon gonna build a (i7 930, Radeon 5750, Intel SSD, DDR3 1333 CL9 (can't afford any faster ram xD)) system, and the thought of using lc didn't cross my mind. So how much is it gonna cost to cool the CPU & GPU, how hard is it gonna be to set up and how much noise (please tell me there isn't any xD)?
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by timmahtherebel View Post
    Recently installed a Corsair H50. Its actually pretty nice, although I have had to turn up the sound of one of my case fans (adjustable speed) to make up for the nice hum of the previous CPU Cooler I've used. I am running a slight overclock on my main PC (about 400mhz..) however I'm actually impressed it idles at 22c
    I've been running the Corsair H50 for a while now and it's great. It only cools the CPU, but it was pretty easy to fit, keeps the chip pretty cool, and there's much less chance of it springing a leak since it's a sealed system.

Quote Originally Posted by daipe View Post
    Sorry for snatching the topic, but I am soon gonna build a (i7 930, Radeon 5750, Intel SSD, DDR3 1333 CL9 (can't afford any faster ram xD)) system, and the thought of using lc didn't cross my mind. So how much is it gonna cost to cool the CPU & GPU, how hard is it gonna be to set up and how much noise (please tell me there isn't any xD)?
    Thanks in advance!
    My system ran me about 250 Canadian, for just the CPU. For a graphics card, I'd say another 40 or so, depending on whether you need a bigger radiator or not. It's not actually particularly difficult to install, and if you keep dyes and stuff out of your coolant, maintenance is minimal. Noise is not bad, but will depend on your radiator, fans, and pump choice. My pump is pretty quiet, and the two 120 mm fans I'm using are even quieter. In fact, the power supply fan is the loudest thing in my system.

I thought about it.

not worth the trouble for me right now. I'd rather spend 30$ on a newer CPU heatsink then that.

It's not as portable/moving is not easy with it.
    What I'm planing on getting soon(soon >.> Just got to go order the start of it.)
    athlonII4x 2.9 oc'd to what ever I feel like doing. *
    6gb ram *(4gb right now...)
    1 5550GPU *
    1 5850GPU
    750w PSU *
    Asus mobo. *
    2 1tb HDD's
    1 32gb SSD(oh when I'll be able to get it O.o damn expensive things)
    Win7 *
    2 23"monitors
    Dual internet Card(PCI-E)
    Sound card(PCI-E)
    2 PCI fans if applicable.
    HDD fans
    side port fans.
    *=what I'm getting now.
    I really doubt I'd need WC.

psh... liquid... phase change or bust.

XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - 5 Stage Cascade Made in Germany !
    -169C

This one uses water cooling though... on the cooling unit! -130C
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=165

More seriously, if you want to buy one, try something this (~$400): http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...cts/ocz_cryo_z
    Last edited by IncompleteDude; 30-Jul-2010 at 06:02.