Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have something like this happen to them before?

Default Anyone have something like this happen to them before?

A little while ago I was sleeping in bed, in the early morning. My mom and my sister, being crazy, were awake at the ungodly hour of 7AM (!!).

You know how stuff from the real world can enter your dream, kind of like in Inception? Well, my mom was yelling bloody murder at my sister to hurry up or she'd miss the bus to school. My mom's got quite the vocal chords, so of course her screaming entered my dreams, and with the way she was screaming (a sort of blood-curdling high-pitched wailing sound), I for some reason got the impression that the house was burning down in my dream.

When you're just about to fall asleep, you ever dream that you're falling, and then, just before you hit the ground, you twitch and wake up? That's called a hypnic jerk, and that's kind of what happened in this situation... except more extreme. The sound also woke me up, and, just like in the hypnic jerk, the dream carried on into real life. I leaped out of bed, flung open my door, and dashed down the hallway.

I sleep naked.

Thankfully, by that time, everyone had already left the house. And I also managed to clear my head and realize that it was a dream before I ran out the front door.

I've never experienced anything quite like it.

Woops...

I have had those times when I wake up confused. However, I have never dashed out of my room naked (or diapered). I've been lucky enough to realize what was going on before then

Peachy

I'm sure it has happened to me before, but not in that extreme of a way.

Shame your neighbors didn't get a morning strip show :P

Lol, something similair has happened to me before, that I woke up and thought I had overslept so I quickly dressed en etc, and when I was just about too leave I realised it was 3-4 am XD (by the way, it was winter and it shouldn't really become light until 8 am, so I couldn't tell by the amount of light)

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Shame your neighbors didn't get a morning strip show :P
    Oh man... you just reminded me of the time I locked myself out of my bedroom (in a shared house, where the bedrooms locked like front doors) wearing just a dressing gown, then climbing out of the first floor window in the next room thinking I could shuffle along the ledge towards my open bedroom window... but getting stuck on the outside of the house halfway between the windows... left leg on the ledge under the spare room, right leg on the ledge under my bedroom window... clinging on for dear life, arms and legs outstretched in a star formation... *blush*

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse and I'd have to shout loud enough to wake up my housemates to figure out how to get down... the pavement started to fill up with commuters on their way to work... I dread to think of the sight they saw as they passed by... Fortunately I was so scared of falling that my face was pressed firmly against the brickwork, so hopefully no one would have recognised me...

Wow. I'd completely forgotten about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    A little while ago I was sleeping in bed, in the early morning. My mom and my sister, being crazy, were awake at the ungodly hour of 7AM (!!).

You know how stuff from the real world can enter your dream, kind of like in Inception? Well, my mom was yelling bloody murder at my sister to hurry up or she'd miss the bus to school. My mom's got quite the vocal chords, so of course her screaming entered my dreams, and with the way she was screaming (a sort of blood-curdling high-pitched wailing sound), I for some reason got the impression that the house was burning down in my dream.

When you're just about to fall asleep, you ever dream that you're falling, and then, just before you hit the ground, you twitch and wake up? That's called a hypnic jerk, and that's kind of what happened in this situation... except more extreme. The sound also woke me up, and, just like in the hypnic jerk, the dream carried on into real life. I leaped out of bed, flung open my door, and dashed down the hallway.

I sleep naked.

Thankfully, by that time, everyone had already left the house. And I also managed to clear my head and realize that it was a dream before I ran out the front door.

I've never experienced anything quite like it.
    How long is a little while? Doesn't school not start again until after Labour Day?

I only have the falling part of the dream, though one time I almost screamed IRL from something in a dream.

sounds like a classic case of sleep walking! If it starts happening regular, especially with the jumps/jerks, be sure to see a doctor and get a sleep study done

There's also a state of sleep where the sleeper feels a sense of real dread. A lot of people are convinced there is a ghost in their bedroom while experiencing this. I've had it happen to me many times, or there's an intruder, a murderer, etc. My wife stays up later than me with the t.v. on, so sometimes that enters my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    sounds like a classic case of sleep walking! If it starts happening regular, especially with the jumps/jerks, be sure to see a doctor and get a sleep study done
    Deffinately not sleepwalking. I was awake when this happened. I just forgot it was a dream. And with the extreme nature of the situation I thought I was in, it didn't even cross my mind to grab some clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    There's also a state of sleep where the sleeper feels a sense of real dread. A lot of people are convinced there is a ghost in their bedroom while experiencing this. I've had it happen to me many times, or there's an intruder, a murderer, etc. My wife stays up later than me with the t.v. on, so sometimes that enters my dreams.
    Sleep paralysis, ya, I've had that too. I woke up in the middle of the night with something holding me down by my chest, and I couldn't move or scream or anything.

Zephy: It happened shortly after I came home from college, so my sister hadn't started summer vacation yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post

I've experienced both of these things (not quite to the same extent though). One time, my dad was yelling at my brother to hurry up so he wouldn't be late and his voice entered my dream and manifested itself as the voice of a villain who was operating some giant, futuristic, laser-powered car (or something to that effect).

Also, I experience hypnic jerks pretty frequently but I've never actually jumped out of bed because of one. I think a hypnic jerk once caused me to sit up quickly and start hyperventilating but that's the worst I've ever experienced.