Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In The Navy!

Default In The Navy!

Been thinking about what to do after college, and the navy crossed my mind. I like traveling and I like the ocean, so - hey (stupid way to make a life decision, I know).

I'd like to hear from anyone whose got any experience with the Canadian navy or any navy, really. What's life like?

All of the Canadian Forces guys (and gals) I've had the pleasure of coming in contact with have been top notch people. I can't speak about the Canadian Navy specifically, but if you really do like to travel, it's a great way to see the world. Unfortunately, all the really fun stuff is punctuated by long stretches of boredom, just cutting holes in the ocean. Not that there isn't a lot of work to do, but it can be repetitive and simplistic. I somehow doubt that the Canadian Navy has the same "nanny-culture" going on as the US Navy, so you should be good there. Let me know if you have any more questions.

+ an excellent opportunity to wear sailor suits

No experience, but wouldn't romanticize it too much... it will be physically hard, long times away from home (what if you find a girlfriend), traveling is not tourism (sometimes you are even less welcome) and doubt they go well with diapers :/

On the plus, the military people (most of my connections are land based, not navy) I know are very close to each other (as in 1 team against every one else, not as in 'sharing beds') and it is not always (even rare) fighting. The only one I know that spend some time in our ships (we have 5 or so I think ), but as a civilian, tells (too) often that he had a lot of fun but only because he had a lot more freedom, discipline is strict.

But if it is what you want, go for it sailor Time for some village people...

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    I somehow doubt that the Canadian Navy has the same "nanny-culture" going on as the US Navy, so you should be good there.
    What's this nanny culture thing you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by witloof View Post
    No experience, but wouldn't romanticize it too much...
    Heh. I tend to do that a lot. I'll keep my imagination in check.

it will be physically hard, long times away from home (what if you find a girlfriend), traveling is not tourism (sometimes you are even less welcome) and doubt they go well with diapers :/
    I'm pretty fit, hate being at home, am currently single, and I could give up diapers for life if I had to.

On the plus, the military people (most of my connections are land based, not navy) I know are very close to each other (as in 1 team against every one else, not as in 'sharing beds') and it is not always (even rare) fighting.
    That's another thing I like - the brotherhood. My brother went away treeplanting for 8 months and he came back with a bunch of friends he'll have for the rest of his life.

Can't say about oue neghbors in the great white north but out of collage the US Navy can be a good thing. My brother did OCS, spent 25 years rising through the ranks, retired at age 50 set for life, pay, medical etc while still young enough to enjoy it. Of course his collage bankrupted our parents and I had to take a job in my high school sophmore year so if I thought about the navy I'd be a swab. I stayed in in the factory and will never be able to retire.

secretdl26

I've heard a few different opinions about serving in the armed forces (various branches, sorry if I'm digressing from Navy).

The Army Ranger I talked to said that if the current culture was different, serving in the armed forces is a great way to experience something you won't
    any other place or in any other organization (especially the brotherhood part you were talking about), but you have to be willing to take on a lot of responsibility,
    risk, and being under some people you may really disagree with.

A Navy guy I talked to (really random meeting), has worked on nuclear aircraft carriers (6 month stretches, rarely seeing sunlight) and at the two government
    nuclear reactors in upstate NY. He said that while he has had a really tough time, long long long days, not so great pay, he thought that it was definitely a positive
    experience, and when his term is up the training and education he received through the nuclear program with the Navy was extremely valuable and that it
    would help him with the rest of his life.

Hope this helps you out a little!

Nukes get propay, huge re-enlistment bonuses and advance a lot faster than everyone else. If he was bitching about low pay, he is an idiot.

One of my cousins is in the navy. He doesnt particularly like it. He does it because its a job and he needs to support his family. Its cramped, you spend most of your time in the boat and you hardly see sunlight. On top of that the food sucks. Oh and you spend most of the time at sea and rarely see other ports.