Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a car soon :D

Default Getting a car soon :D

So... I have found a car that I am probably going to be buying, a 2001 mitsubishi eclipse spyder GT FWD SOHC MFI V6 200FWHP, 218ft lbs tq can't wait the car has only 54,000 miles on it, and it is sitting at one of the best dealership lots in my town (for used cars anyway...)

here is what the car looks like (not the actual car I will be buying, but this is a picture of what the car is

Looks like a nice car. My first car was a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS. It was a fun little car but it had serious reliability issues after 50,000 miles.

wow, pretty low miles on it for a car that age...always nice to get your first car! stick or auto?

If you live in the united stated please buy american

It is a nice looking car, but...

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything by saying this, but every single friend of mine that has owned either a 3rd generation or 2nd generation (DSM) Eclipse has had MAJOR reliability issues with it.

In high school, I knew someone with that exact year and model and his parents ended up forcing him to sell it, because they had literally spent more than it was worth in repair bills over a couple of years.

Also check the insurance rates before you make a decision on any car.

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Oh, but if you're a real car guy, not as in you like cars and read Motortrend, but as in "i'm doing an engine swap in my driveway this weekend," disregard the above. I'm sure you could handle it if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by dixon View Post
    2001 mitsubishi eclipse spyder GT FWD SOHC MFI V6 200FWHP, 218ft lbs tq
    Bit long if they ask 'what are you driving' 200fwhp? 200 forward hp, nobody cares how many in reverse

V6 would be $$$ on taxes and insurance over here, especially if you are still highschool age. Don't know in us, but don't forget to find out about the extra costs.

fwhp = front wheel horsepower, meaning a front-drive configuration.

I like it better the way you had it though lol.

well, after looking at the carfax of the car... there has been a MAJOR change in plans on me purchasing this vehicle... Needless to say that I am still in the market for an eclipse, but I am looking for a first generation eclipse, more specifically an elipse between the years of 1997 - 1999, looking into another eclipse that is for sale in my area a 1998 Eclipse GS-T everything looks good on it so far... but looking at the carfax before I make any major plans with it.

Any Eclipse between the years of 1995-1999 is a second generation Eclipse. IMO they are only worth the inherent issues if they are turbocharged. Personally, I would wait out for a GSX (the all wheel drive model), but they are hard to come by.

Google "crankwalk" and read up on it before you make a decision.