Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im going linux

Default Im going linux

Im going to go linux on my windows desktop

Think Im going to try Linux Mint.

my specs are

Butterfly Mage

I have tried really hard to like Linux. The problem with this operating system is threefold:

-- It's got an insufficient driver library.
    -- it can't run my applications.
    -- it can load my games.

I plan on keeping Windows, I cant do any music productions in linux. But other than that all I do is surf the net, email, im, and download music

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Got linux mint going and have to say love it so far

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    I cant do any music productions in linux.

There are plenty of apps for music production in linux, you just have to look for them.

10 Best Audio Editors for Linux | TechCityInc

I know most of you that are good with linux will mostl likely know about this but I found a version of IE for linux

How To Install Microsoft Internet Explorer on Linux in Two Easy Steps

Install Internet Explorer under Linux

Open terminal and type the following commands:
    $ wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/...-latest.tar.gz
    $ tar -zxvf ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
    $ cd ies4linux-*
    $ ./ies4linux

I find this useful for sites that will not work without IE

Congratulations. I really love Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    I find this useful for sites that will not work without IE
    Just out of curiosity, which sites are these? I've been using Safari, Chrome, and Firefox for the last seven years or so and have never visited a site that would not work with one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I have tried really hard to like Linux. The problem with this operating system is threefold:

-- It's got an insufficient driver library.
    -- it can't run my applications.
    -- it can load my games.

1. The Linux kernel has wider hardware support than any other mainstream kernel. Try running Windows on any non-x86 platform. Or OS X on non-apple hardware (without a ridiculous amount of fucking around to get it to even boot).
    2 and 3. Do you go to a Mac and expect it to run your applications? Do you expect your phone to run whatever game it is you play? No you don't so don't expect Linux to either. Its a completely different platform.

Thankfully alternative applications exist for the majority of tasks (office suites, image manipulation, 3d modelling, video and audio editing). The game situation is also steadily "improving" (apparently, Steam and the Source engine are being ported to Linux. Personally I don't want to see any more proprietary crap on this platform).

Additionally, regarding game's there are plenty of free, open source games out there: Nexuiz, Open Arena, Red Eclipse, Sauerbraten, Warsow, Urban Terror, Alien Arena (these last three use open source engines, however the actual game data is proprietary.

Lastly, there are quite a few independent games that run natively on Linux. Did you miss that whole Humble Indie Bundle thing that Reddit and half the internet was going on about for a few weeks?

Ubuntu 10.04 works awesomely on my core i7's
    Desktop:
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz
    1 x 750GB Western Digital green SATA II
    2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA II
    6GB G.Skill PI 1600MHz (tri-channel)
    2 x GTX 280 OC'd SLI, 24" 1920x1200

Laptop:
    ASUS N61Jq
    Intel Core i7 720M @ 1.6GHz to 2.8GHz
    4GB DDR3 1333MHz (dual channel)
    1 x 640GB Seagate Momentus (105GB Linux Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx x64, 8.4GB Swap, 105GB Windows 7 Ultimate X64, 422GB Storage
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5730 1GB, 16" 1366x768

Butterfly Mage

Actually, your comparison of Linux to Mac OS is also why I don't own a Mac (aside from the fact that a Mac costs 2.5x more than a Windows laptop of similar configuration.)

I'm not interested in open-source wannabe apps. I like Word, Excel, and Access. While the knockoffs aren't bad, I like the real McCoy better. The driver problem really is the deal-breaker, however. Every time I've tried Linux (and I try it every time some new variant gets released), there's always some critical function on the computer that won't work. Umbutu, for instance, didn't support my WiFi transmitter, nor did it support my AT&T wireless modem. It didn't support my SD card reader. It only supported one resolution for my laptop (1024x600, not 1024x768).

Quote Originally Posted by jscinoz View Post
    1. The Linux kernel has wider hardware support than any other mainstream kernel. Try running Windows on any non-x86 platform. Or OS X on non-apple hardware (without a ridiculous amount of fucking around to get it to even boot).
    2 and 3. Do you go to a Mac and expect it to run your applications? Do you expect your phone to run whatever game it is you play? No you don't so don't expect Linux to either. Its a completely different platform.

Thankfully alternative applications exist for the majority of tasks (office suites, image manipulation, 3d modelling, video and audio editing). The game situation is also steadily "improving" (apparently, Steam and the Source engine are being ported to Linux. Personally I don't want to see any more proprietary crap on this platform).

Additionally, regarding game's there are plenty of free, open source games out there: Nexuiz, Open Arena, Red Eclipse, Sauerbraten, Warsow, Urban Terror, Alien Arena (these last three use open source engines, however the actual game data is proprietary.

Lastly, there are quite a few independent games that run natively on Linux. Did you miss that whole Humble Indie Bundle thing that Reddit and half the internet was going on about for a few weeks?