Thread: I found a fursuit I plan to buy!

Default I found a fursuit I plan to buy!

Well I've always enjoyed dressing up in costumes, and I really do dig athropomorphic animals as I still love Looney Toons. Disney's animated version of Robin Hood has always been my favorite Disney film since I was at least six years old. I guess I'm a furry so yeah this will be the suit I buy when I come with a couple grand to blow on a costume that I'll wear on Halloween and any special event where there will be lots of people. I like the idea of making people laugh and smile without having to say anything and believe me, I'm good at not saying anything LOL!

I'm glad you're getting into fursuiting but I'm afraid that unless the suit is actually up for sale / auction somewhere then it's already owned by someone else, and good fursuit makers will refuse to make clones of existing fursuits or anything that is too alike.
    The vast majority actually have a disclaimer that they will not infringe intellectual copyrights and each existing fursuit character also comes under this copyright unfortunately.

You could get one made that has a similar style but different patterning or color on the body. But you wont be able to get the exact one shown.

That said Fursuit performance can be very rewarding, especially if you can get yourself some charity work or even just permission to perform in public places with others.

I also know several UK Furries/fursuiters who hire their services out for kids parties fairs and fetes
    Last edited by leffykit; 13-Jul-2010 at 12:27. Reason: avoiding potential innuendos due to bad phrasing

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDL View Post

Well I've always enjoyed dressing up in costumes, and I really do dig athropomorphic animals as I still love Looney Toons. Disney's animated version of Robin Hood has always been my favorite Disney film since I was at least six years old. I guess I'm a furry so yeah this will be the suit I buy when I come with a couple grand to blow on a costume that I'll wear on Halloween and any special event where there will be lots of people. I like the idea of making people laugh and smile without having to say anything and believe me, I'm good at not saying anything LOL!
    He is dam cute. if he is not for sale try going here fursuitauctions - Community Profile they have some really cute stuff there. There are many really cute cub like suits you could find there too. Also, if you have an idea & the money you could get one made fursuit - Community Profile scroll down on that page & there is a list with links to just about every suit maker out there. And finally fursuitlounge - Community Profile the first & last link is a place to ask for commissions. The second link is only for suit making questions so if you post anything there out side of that your question will be deleted. That page monitor is a bit of a stickler for the rules. Good luck on finding a suit. It is a really fun activity & I totally enjoy doing volunteer work with mine for charity events. here is the last one I did for a local MS walk Welcome to Facebook
    Almost forgot, If ya need any tips or pointers on any fursuit related questions don't hesitate to ask. I will help ya out the best I can or point you to someone who can.
    Last edited by Grizz; 13-Jul-2010 at 13:04.

That's kind of cool that no two fur suits are exactly alike. I got a price quote in response to my email inquiry. I got a bit of saving up to do but hopefully in the next year or two I'll have my fur suit and I'll finally have a warm costume to wear on Halloween and I'll use it for charity events and events where there will be kids present. I like the idea of making people laugh and smile without actually having to say anything. I'll also be on the look out for used fur suits as well. Thanks for the information I appreciate it!

No worries, getting into fursuiting is expensive and takes time but the rewards are there if you're willing to give it your all.
    If you need any advanced tips at any point (keeping cool in suit, cleaning and care, advanced performance etc) I and I'm assuming Grizz also are happy to help or point you in the right direction, just drop me a pm

I been researching left and right on fursuiting and yeah it's expensive, but the reactions (at least the positive ones) of kids as well as adults are priceless. I been watching alot of fursuiting videos on youtube just to see how the people in suits interact with the public. I would like some additional insight on keeping cool inside a fursuit because I plan to use it on special occasions where I'm permitted during the summer. I know you can put little battery operated fans inside the heads to keep cool but what about the arms and legs? For most of the year here in The Last Frontier its really cold so keeping cool in a fursuit isn't a major thing for me, but it might be during the summer.

I also plan on attending at least one fur convention in the future.

even if you're suiting in fairly cold weather it's advisable to get some sort of under garment to protect the suit from sweat and prolong its life. A dirty sweaty suit can go moldy very fast and once it does there's no way to save it. You cant wash fursuit heads for obvious reasons, with the exception of a damp cloth wash on the outside. The same goes for any bodysuit or paw parts that contain foam.

Under Armour in the US or Sub Armour Technical Sportswear in the UK are very good for whicking away sweat and helping you keep cool, especially your head if you get a balaclava.
    They do cost a bit but they'll cut down on the amount of times you have to clean the suit and also the amount you sweat.

What I would say though is that if you've never done any fully enclosed costuming before that you use the first few times to acclimatise.
    Put it on and sit in it for a few minutes until you start to get uncomfortable, then take it off for 20 minutes or so, then put it back on and move around in it as if it were normal clothes. It does seem silly but it'll slowly build up your heat tolerance and endurance.

When you actually go out in it for the first time only suit for about 30 minutes before taking a break. It's very easy to get carried away and make yourself ill from heat exhaustion as the average fursuit adds about 5lb to your bodyweight.
    Also be aware that you'll have VERY restricted vision, think of it like looking through a mailslot. That's about the size of your field of vision in suit.
    Last edited by leffykit; 15-Jul-2010 at 15:17. Reason: edited parapgraphs for reading clarity

You can go to LiveJournal go to fursuit group that will all you need to know never use rhavvy's to bild a suit for you she took me for 1200.00 dollars never pay all up front .
    look at beastcubs work his stuff is great. Foxkits

AlaskanDL also asked me about help with duct tape dummies (body cast) for fursuits, after typing all this out I figured I'd slap it in here too for future reference:

Best thing to do is get a set of disposable painters overalls from the hardware store, wear those underneath and if you plan to be diapered in suit at any time I'd suggest wearing one while you make the dummy, otherwise there wont be enough room

You'll need at least three solid layers of tape to make it strong enough for the maker to use and make sure you do the crotch and under arm areas with at least 2 layers, they tend to get left out when a lot of people do dtd's.

While you're being wrapped I'd suggest either 2 high backed chairs or pieces of wood to rest your arms on as it's likely to take a couple hours and your arms will be straight out to the sides once the first layer goes on until it all comes off.

For cutting you out, you'll need to mark the points where the tail, knees and elbows are going to be before you do anything else, that way it'll fit properly when the suit comes.

The best way to cut out is to do a line down each side, starting from neck down to wrist on each side, then from wrist to ankle on the under side. If you mark a cross across the line at regular intervals it makes it easier for the fursuit maker to line the sections up properly.

Only other precautions that come to mind are to cut the tape into short strips rather than taping round and round as it will make it too tight and a LOT harder to get off if you really truly cant breath, make sure you can breathe
    properly after each layer!

Use a pair of medical bandage scissors, they have a flat edge on the lower blade which is turned up at a 90 degree angle to the cutting edge. I have scars from using regular scissors, its not pleasant.

Only other thing I'd suggest is to go to the toilet before you start and make sure that you have drinks nearby, once you're in it it'll start to get uncomfortably warm as your skin won't be able to breathe.

when you're prepping to send remember to put your details on the inside using a pen, include the name of the fursuit, your real name and your email account. This'll help them identify your dtd if they've got more than one commission going.