Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power mac G4

Default Power mac G4

Ok so I have a power mac g4.

And I have a "copy" of OSX 10.5. I burned it to a DL DVD using poweriso.

My mac doesnt seem to read DLD DVD's though.

The file fromate of the install disk was in dmg so I changed it for macinstall.dmg tto macinstall.iso so I could burn it with poweriso.

When I pop the dvd into the drive for my mac it trys to read it and just spits it back out

I know i have a dvd drive on my mac.

any ideas

ironfox

Oh wow a ancient powermac G4.how cool

first of all I theorize that the problem isnt with your drive but with the way you converted the .dmg to .iso. did you use any sort of file converter of such?.

no but after that not work I used transmac to but the dmg file. Still have the same problem. I was think about buying a new drive.

It may be ancient but it still is pretty quick

OMG, that is weird. I just recently acquired a Mac Mini from my moms friend who got rid of all her things due to the fact she is moving to Calgary,*it was running Panther when I got it. I am trying to upgrade this thing to Leopard (AKA 10.5) but I don't have the ISO or DMG. I downloaded a slimmed down single layer version of the Leopard install disk, that boots and it fails to find the files needed to install the system apparently, so don't even try with the single layer version. Damn it, I want a Leopard install disc :P. If you mind PM'ing me the MD5 and SHA1 hashes of your ISO so I can compare them with the ones that DannyTheNinja gave me, to make sure they're equivalent. What you might be able to do is download a virtual machine version of Mac OSX to run inside of VmWare and then you could burn it from within there, running on your PC.

Also, trying to convert that file to ISO by renaming it will not work, if it were that simple, I would be very lucky :P. You need to convert the file to ISO through other means, or visit an Apple store to quickly burn your dmg using one of their testing machines. You could also use a friends mac, providing it has a Dual-Layer burner.

I am currently running 10.4, which is *decent* but I want to be able to run Leopard, if you wanna work this out together then PM me.

Your drive shouldn't be the problem. I had one of the first generation "Sawtooth" Power Mac G4's and had no problem reading dual layer discs. I've not used it, but this program should let you convert the dmg image file. http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/ It's got a command line interface, but apparently you can also use the trial version of UltraISO to burn the dmg directly.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    All I see on your Profiler is -R and -RW, I don't see any DL

Your drive is a Pioneer DVR-104. I find nothing showing it reads dual layer media.

The last G4 came out in June 2003, I can't find anything on 'stock' Dual Layer drives in the G4's. The first I can see with such a drive was the April 2005 Dual processor G5.

6-in-1 Pioneer DVR-104 Drive Review

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post

And I have a "copy" of OSX 10.5. I burned it to a DL DVD using poweriso.

My mac doesnt seem to read DLD DVD's though.

The file fromate of the install disk was in dmg so I changed it for macinstall.dmg tto macinstall.iso so I could burn it with poweriso.

When I pop the dvd into the drive for my mac it trys to read it and just spits it back out

I know i have a dvd drive on my mac.

any ideas
    I've an idea.

You should buy the software you run. I'll bet you'd not have this issue with a pressed DVD. Heh. Looking at this, I've a good idea what's happened. And this would not happen on a pressed retail DVD version of 10.5.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    I've an idea.

You should buy the software you run. I'll bet you'd not have this issue with a pressed DVD. Heh. Looking at this, I've a good idea what's happened. And this would not happen on a pressed retail DVD version of 10.5.
    thanks for your 2 cents worth

Another issue that early DVD drives on the macs had was compatibility with DVD+R disks. Best compatibility is to use a DVD-R.

Its hard to fix a file thats around 8gigs on a DVD-R that 4.7 gigs