Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLism = Hereditary or HOW DO YOU GET IT?

Default DLism = Hereditary or HOW DO YOU GET IT?

I recently blogged a really sensitive subject about being one of very few people on this forum who had a brother that was a DL on coincidence. For the first time just yesterday I let this community know that my brother passed away early in '09. Check the blog out for more info.

What I want to start is some conversation on this - now that I'm not the only one finding out siblings are into diapers.

Again, keep in mind that there is a high chance you know your sibling is into it because no one wants to mention it or talk about it. DLism is one of the most "kept" secrets of anyone - which is why these forums thrive like crazy.

What I find interesting, is whatever causes DLism... is permanent, and linked to your sexuality. There is no ridding yourself of this interest after you obtain it.

I saw many posts in Altric's 17 page thread about how he just found out "his brother too" was a DL.
    That could spark some good discussion with people and allow us to figure out more on the science behind this.
    In the 17 pages, many comments related to:

Questions:
    1. Is it obtained when you are born, or later on?
    2. If later on, what is the most logical reasoning behind this?

The "What causes AB/DL?" question, including sub-questions about genetic links, is a somewhat regular thread topic on ADISC. Realistically, without an actual controlled study into the issue, there's no way to do more than educated speculation. Our numbers are too small and, moreover, we're ourselves fractured by the fact that our desires may be broadly similar but they vary wildly in the details.

As far as heredity goes, we have marginal evidence at best to back such a conclusion. It seems reasonable, from the various methods I've seen, to estimate the incidence of AB/DL as somewhere around 1 in the high 1000s to low 10,000s. By my count, we have two members with AB/DL brothers and one with an AB/DL dad. We have ~3,500 "active" members on ADISC, so multiply that by the number of family members those members have on average (mostly discounting females), and assume that there would be a strong chance that an ADISC member would find out and report it. Really, we're in the ballpark of EV, given the low degree of precision with which we can calculate it.

We do know from our own surveys that there is a much higher incidence of alternative sexualities in our community than the population at large, and that sexual orientation is, in general, caused by some unknown brew of genetic and environmental factors. There's reason, then, to assume that family members sharing similar genes are also likely to have a similar likelihood of ending up with alternative sexualities and/or fetishes. Since we have a fetish ourselves, our genes are more likely, on average, to result in fetishism, and thus our relatives sharing similar genes are more likely, on average to also have fetishes. This line of reasoning should mean that relatives of known sexual AB/DLs should be sexual AB/DLs at a higher rate than that of the entire population. We could speculate that a similar mechanism might make non-sexual AB/DL incidence higher among relatives, but we lack the links to a better studied phenomenon (sexuality) to support such a conclusion.

In reply to your questions at the end of the OP, I think it's fairly obvious that we can't be born with a sexual attraction to a random inanimate object - at the very most basic level, there's a requirement for environmental factors to play a role after birth. When that happens is hard to say. Members here have recounted interests in diapers ranging from "as long as they can remember" to "aware at puberty". For some more generally kinky individuals, diapers are just something they try at some point and decide that they like - there isn't a clear starting point at all.

The best explanation seems to me to be that we're complicated creatures and our predisposition to imprinting whatever is necessary for being AB/DL is something that can happen at any point prior to puberty.

a sexual fetish is a mental development
    starting around the age of 8 you start to develop these things
    what you get depends on your personality and events in your life
    brothers and sisters may develop similer fetishes becuse they are usely rised the same way and have similer personalities

Quote Originally Posted by Ikrit View Post
    starting around the age of 8 you start to develop these things
    But what about people who started getting these urges before 8?, or those who have always had these desires? These examples would require a revised opinion.

Wow it's sad to hear that about you brother. I've never lost someone that close to me but I can only imagine. My sympathies and condolences. On to the topic at hand.

1. Is it obtained when you are born, or later on?
    I think this is obtained later on.

2. If later on, what is the most logical reasoning behind this?

Upbringing, you and your brother probably had similar upbringing, causing similar interest in diapers. Regardless of how similar you people raise their children there is always a difference. But I think it's just that you and him had similar situations and what not, so by that it's something that cause it to be similar diaper interest. I doubt it's Hereditary because Diapers are relatively new so our grandparents probably don't have it nor parents. I dunno tough..... I just doubt it's hereditary.... Otherwise there would be a lot more DL's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    I doubt it's Hereditary because Diapers are relatively new so our grandparents probably don't have it nor parents.
    Then how do you explain members here who are 40+, there may not be as many of them as those of us who are teens-20's but there are still some.

It could be classical conditioning, it could explain why siblings can be DLs despite diaper fetishism not being present in a large proportion of the population. We may learn to associate certain feelings/emotions with diapers and they may become ingrained into our subconscious through reinforcement. Just a theory though, it is possibly too simple for such a complex phenomenom.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten53 View Post
    Then how do you explain members here who are 40+, there may not be as many of them as those of us who are teens-20's but there are still some.

It could be classical conditioning, it could explain why siblings can be DLs despite diaper fetishism not being present in a large proportion of the population. We may learn to associate certain feelings/emotions with diapers and they may become ingrained into our subconscious through reinforcement. Just a theory though, it is possibly too simple for such a complex phenomenom.

Ah you're right... I just keep thinking AB... my age.... Ya know? I used to hang out in forums where well I'm probably the oldest around. I'm the Vice Captain of the infantilist guild on gaia. So many members are range from 13-25. I'm almost 20 so yeah. It's essentially a safe haven for TB's. XD So I sometimes forget some people are well in fact older..... *pictures mom in diaper* Creeeepy....... ANYWAYS but yeah Then I don't know... I'd like to know how these older members got into this then.... I'm really curious since disposables... well werent for their time. I'm wondering what might have happend if their story is slightly different.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten53 View Post

You can't gain a hereditary attachment to external objects, for the most part.

Now, the propensity for a GENERAL attachment can be hereditary and there have been studies for that (Re: Addictive personality) but even those have major correlation/causation issues.

"Siblings can be DLs" is not only inadequate but completely nonsequitur to the possibility of it being hereditary. Siblings CAN be DLs but an incredible majority of the time ARE NOT.

Also: Psychosexual development USUALLY reaches the phallic stage, which would indicate the good feeling from diapers, around 8, but that's an average.

Also also: THIS IS NOT SEXUAL FOR ALL PEOPLE.

You'll find that, though we have members over 40 on these boards, they usually prefer cloth diapers. This is because in the 60s is when Disposable diapers really hit the market in any wide form. It took decades before they became the primary product of choice. This, even on its own, is very strong evidence that it is not hereditary (other than the impossibility of a hereditary attachment to a manmade object), as if it were the children of 40+ DLs would prefer cloth diapers.

There's also no evidence that DLism is always permanent. Because the result of somebody... kicking the habit, so to speak, there would be no way to verify the end of the presence of a person who did so. It is most definitely USUALLY a long term thing, if not permenent, but so is all sexual development. That's kinda part of the point.

Wow, great conversation already - this forum is awesome! Keep up the good talks.

Personal note: I can say I wasn't "sexually" attracted until puberty, (obviously), but always attracted before it-- even memories before 8 years of age. I am sure of this.

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    By my count, we have two members with AB/DL brothers and one with an AB/DL dad.
    I know there is more than just "two" on this forum alone-- my thread had one more in the 3 pages, and Altric had atleast one more in his 17 page thread. We're taking into account who reads a particular thread, too-- not everyone registered on ADISC.

Example from my thread:

Quote Originally Posted by tdlrfootedpjs View Post
    I didnt want to really bring it up because I know alot of people normally do not believe some of the stories posted on here like this one. I know that my brother is also a Ab/Dl. I used to have a good supply in my bedroom for my bedwetting that I used to supply for myself because my mom used to buy depends and they leaked but she wouldnt buy anything else. So I told her I would take care of them. I always used to keep tabs on how many I had left in case I needed more I could get some before I ran out and a few would always be missing when I count. I found them stashed under his matteress and took them back, but never said anything to him just figuring he was wetting the bed too. Later when we talked about it he told me he was an AB and thats why he stole them. I told hime that I was also. Now we talk about it, and we share each others secret and no one else knows. Its great having someone to talk about it with that you know isnt going to freak out.
    I want to quickly restate that (as a DL myself), I am fucking AWESOME at distinguishing these traits in others. Constantly I scout, and for me not to know my own brother was one until I was 18 goes to show that QUITE OFTEN in families, children will not know their siblings have the interest. I almost didn't even find out about my brother having it, to be honest-- he could have been a lot stealthier and hidden his acts better. Nevertheless, we have to go off of confirmed accounts - which are mostly ones we read on this forum.

I do remember my sister stealing 2 of my pullups when I was potty training, her taking them out months later (giving one to me and herself) and we being stupid kids having fun, but I can say my sister never had the interest; my dad doesn't, my mom would be my next best guess but I highly doubt it-- she just loves babies and anything about them (like many females).

I think we're getting question #1 figured out for the most part, not confirmed, but almost as good as we're going to get. Any more discussion on question #2, I'd love to hear.

If the answer to 1 is "Later on" then 2 can't really be asked. :p

And it is most definitely "later on," in the fetishistic sense or otherwise. Again, genetic/latent attraction to a manmade thing is an impossibility, as the creation of those things is not in our genetic code.