Thread: quality diapers vs bigger profits

Smile quality diapers vs bigger profits

it seams that over the last 20 or more years the quality of both baby and adult diapers has declined significantly.
    to days dapers are alot smaller and paper thin compaired to what they used to be.
    the diapers comanies seam to me more concerned about big profits then producing a quality product that actualy works for it's intended purpose.
    what does any one else think.

Spearmint

Quote Originally Posted by wetatnight View Post
    it seams that over the last 20 or more years the quality of both baby and adult diapers has declined significantly.
    to days dapers are alot smaller and paper thin compaired to what they used to be.
    the diapers comanies seam to me more concerned about big profits then producing a quality product that actualy works for it's intended purpose.
    what does any one else think.
    First of all, you have to realize that for baby diapers, 1. babies pee/poop nearly as much as we do, obviously, so a diaper that works well on a baby, could really suck for use by people like us. 2. Babies are not supposed to be in a single diaper for a long period of time. Babies don't need to go to work or school, and they're parents are supposed to change them so that they dont have to sit in their own waste for a long period of time.

As for adult diapers, your argument only applies to low quality diapers, like depends and other drug store brands. This is not suprising, as they are cheap products, and the company is only interesting in making money. However, there are plenty of quality products, that, while more expensive, work much better. Tena, abena, molicare, bambinos. Four products off the top of my head that I've heard nothing but good things about. Are they more expensive? yes, but their price is fair for the quality they offer, and obviously people are willing to pay for the higher quality, because the products are still available.

well I've heard complaints about baby diapers not being absorbent enough for babies anymore either. As for the adult stuff, they're really balanced more toward people who have occasional dribble/small accidents it seems, not full incon. Like Cheetaluver said there ARE products that are balanced more toward all out protection but they are obviously more expensive. There's also the issue of the way superabsorbent materials soak up wetness, most new diapers are made of superabsorbent material which can hold a lot, but can't deal with a lot at once. What that means is that these diapers aren't equipped as well to deal with flooding IMO, but if the wetting is a slow trickle (as it would be for someone who truly has no control) I could see them performing better. Just my take, I can't actually comment from experience on the incon side.

I know their are Abenas and other higher quality diapers out there, but my point is that back in the 1980's depend and Attends and maybe a few others were a thicker more absorbent diapers then they are today.
    even baby diapers were better back then.
    I just feel that the diaper companies have lowered their quality to make a bigger profit.

Butterfly Mage

I know that Attend used to be VASTLY superior to their present day incarnation. An Attends worn today can barely handle one void of urine.

I can agree with this most diapers now days can't hold much even for anyone who wet bed a lot cannot handled all night diaper wetting. It seem to me the quality is lower than the cost of them now days I mean when I was younger depend was good diaper now they plain no good than wearing a trash bag on your bottom . So to me the diaper company is turning toward profit more than quality in the USA not sure about other around the world.

Spearmint

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I know that Attend used to be VASTLY superior to their present day incarnation. An Attends worn today can barely handle one void of urine.
    Really? I've heard attends are better than depends.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetaluver View Post
    Really? I've heard attends are better than depends.
    Once upon a time that was clearly true. It's been some time since I had any Attends but after their change, I found Depends Fitted Maximum Protection to be marginally better and certainly more easily available. I'd say it's one of those things that's open to personal preference.